Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We have the Norcold N822 model. During our last trip when running on gas the temp rose up to 55 or so degrees, after plugging into electric the temp dropped back down to 34. Having checked the flame through the access hole behind the outside panel, it looked normal. After arriving home and checking it out more, I noticed a small pile of soot in the bottom of the burner after removing the metal cover. I vacuumed it out but the tempature still doesn't get cold while running on gas. I pulled the orfice and checked that out. It all looks good and the flame is blue. We also get a smell of fumes at times and the CO alarm had been going off. Other than removing the fridge and brushing down the coil as per the Norcold manuel, can I blow the coil off with compressed air to clean off the soot? I'll use a long rod and blow down through the roof vent. Will this cause any damage to the internals of the containment in which the coil is in? I ran my propane tank almost empty the last time out. Don't know if this is the reason for the soot build up or not.The refrig is almost 5 years old. I didn't see any reason for soot, no blockage of any type in the vent going up through the roof. It cools great on electric, just not gas.All other gas appliances work properly. I'm just worried about doing any damage to the refrigerator while using the air to blow out the soot.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We have the Norcold N822 model. During our last trip when running on gas the temp rose up to 55 or so degrees, after plugging into electric the temp dropped back down to 34. Having checked the flame through the access hole behind the outside panel, it looked normal. After arriving home and checking it out more, I noticed a small pile of soot in the bottom of the burner after removing the metal cover. I vacuumed it out but the tempature still doesn't get cold while running on gas. I pulled the orfice and checked that out. It all looks good and the flame is blue. We also get a smell of fumes at times and the CO alarm had been going off. Other than removing the fridge and brushing down the coil as per the Norcold manuel, can I blow the coil off with compressed air to clean off the soot? I'll use a long rod and blow down through the roof vent. Will this cause any damage to the internals of the containment in which the coil is in? I ran my propane tank almost empty the last time out. Don't know if this is the reason for the soot build up or not.The refrig is almost 5 years old. I didn't see any reason for soot, no blockage of any type in the vent going up through the roof. It cools great on electric, just not gas.All other gas appliances work properly. I'm just worried about doing any damage to the refrigerator while using the air to blow out the soot.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wish I could help with the fridge problems, but that is way out of my comfort zone. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some suggestions for you.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It seems to me that if it is operating correctly on electric but not on gas there is a problem with the burner , make sure there are no spider webs in there not allowing the flame to burn correctly.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all, I looked at the flame and I also pulled the orfice all looks good. Nothing clogged or dirty here. I uant to blow the soot out from the flue tube (Art00955) Norcold owners manual using compressed air but i'm not sure if that will damage the spiral flue baffle. I also removed the roof cover and noted all was clear.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Before blowing lets drop back to the flame color. A blue flame is ok but it should have some white flame as well if its all blue you are not getting enough air mixture with the gas and not getting enough heat for the amonia.

Is the tank full now? A low tank will not deliver the gas as well as a full tank and it will burn at a different temp.

You may need to adjust your regulator to get a hotter flame or take it in to a dealer and let them do it.

I dont think that blowing it out with air will do anything for your trouble because just above the flame area the coil has insulation so to blow down the exit pipe wont do much.

But it should not hurt it either.

Check your tank and make sure its got plenty of gas and check the shut off valve at the tank and make sure it full open. Also make up some soapy water and brush it on all the connections from the tank to the fridge look for leaks even right up to the orfice connection and repair if found.

Hope that helps.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hope that helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes the tank if full now, I want to clean the coils first before turning on the burner and checking out the operation.I guess I'll have to check the gas pressure also. Thanks Doug.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the burner had some dirt on it, chances are it came from the "chimney" above it that the heat has to travel up. I'd make sure it's all cleaned out. I had an older (1977) fridge do that. It was simply plugged with rust flakes. In your case, being only a few years old, maybe there's some other blockage. That would coincide with CO problem too.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

bobpie, there's lotsa good advice in this thread. Suggest you cover up the burner with a plastic baggie or clean cloth, then crawl up on the coach roof & remove the fridge vent cap. You should see the fridge vent pipe and a wire that's connected to the spiral baffle inside the flue. Hold onto the wire and run the baffle up & down in the flue, like a chimney sweep. That dislodges any dirt & rust flakes inside the pipe.
I don't do that kind of "preventive maintenance" until I have to, usually when I get cooling problems like you are having. It's not a "regular" practice.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

OK I did it, that is give it a good blow job. I removed the roof cap and using a air lance and compressed air I blew out the flue tube, Plenty of black soot poured out of the vent on the roof and covered the roof with it. I reassembled everthing and fired the fridge up on gas. within 2 1/2 hrs. the freezer was at zero degrees F. And the fridge was at 33 degrees F. Thanks for all your suggestions
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Good for you I am glad some compressed air was all it needed!
Job well done!

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Another success story for the forum?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Troth for the info, when I removed the roof vent assembly I didn't see any wire attatched to anything to shake or move so I figured I would just try and clean the stack out with the air pressure. It worked out good. The wife said she saw a bunch of black smoke comming out of the roof. I continued to blow the air until the black smoke stopped comming out of the stack. Now I have to try and find out why the thing sooted all up. Mayby it needs to be cleaned out occasionally anyway. We should all keep thermometers in our units then you will notice just when you might be having some kind of tuouble. Next problen is the High speed dash fan electric problem which I recieved some good info and the solution to the trouble, I believe. Take care.