Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Norcold recall Question

I just replaced the cooling unit with the Amish unit. My question is, what part is Norcold recalling. It's a cooling unit now. I got it on 3 and the crisper is around 33.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a Norcold 1211. As I understand it, the recall is for the high-heat sensor at the boiler. If it gets too hot, the circuitry will switch the unit off, at least that is what I have been told.

I had the recall done, nothing wrong, but told to do it, in November (rev A), error code showed up when at dealer in February so done again (Rev B), failed a week later, so done again (Rev C of the switch). No problems with it after that. But . . .

In August, the refer started not cooling properly, no error codes, just erratic cooling, mostly not cooling. Tried everything, finally drove to dealer, he did an overnight test, unit seemed to cool with a direct electric jumper. Next day they checked all the wires, thought they found a loose connector, all seemed to be working again. Refer had been in use 14 months, so out of warranty.

Three weeks later, same problem after driving on a short trip. Tried everything, new thermistor, new circuit board, tested with direct jumper to heaters, now appeared to be the cooling unit. (a floating clog the tech called it)

Used extended service contract, got a new Norcold cooling unit installed today, seems to be cooling fine after 8 hours of opertion. Interesting note, the cooling unit kit included a newer generation (Rev E) of the recalled heat sensor switch.

Would have liked the Amish unit, looks like a better product, but was limited to what the extended service contract would cover.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you. Now I know.I found a place to get the part. Soon I will have a complete new ice boxs. It was nice seeing the scrap man haul of the old cooling unit.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had my recall done at the dealer. Took about 30 min. while I waited. They just put a metal shield on something???? No big deal.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Randy if you have replaced cooling unit with Amish you do not need the recall you have what Norcold should have put in without all their band-aid fixes.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

gefleming welcome to the forum.
If you have Dometic fridge the shield was all that was required, the Norcolds are still correcting theirs maybe someday they will get it right.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As Journey39N did, a couple of months ago, I used my extended service contract, and got a new Norcold cooling unit installed. It also included a newer generation (Rev E) of the recalled heat sensor switch.

I also wanted the Amish unit, but was limited to what the extended service contract would pay for. Seemed strange, as the Amish was about $1000, while the Norcold was $1595.

Well, a couple of nights ago, the dreaded red LED on the heat sensor switch came on. From what I read "no fix - replace cooling unit!" Fridge is dead again! It's back at the service place now...we will see...
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by THutch View Post
As Journey39N did, a couple of months ago, I used my extended service contract, and got a new Norcold cooling unit installed. It also included a newer generation (Rev E) of the recalled heat sensor switch.

I also wanted the Amish unit, but was limited to what the extended service contract would pay for. Seemed strange, as the Amish was about $1000, while the Norcold was $1595.

Well, a couple of nights ago, the dreaded red LED on the heat sensor switch came on. From what I read "no fix - replace cooling unit!" Fridge is dead again! It's back at the service place now...we will see...
Tom, Sorry to hear about your cooling unit failure and recall problems. Thats the exact reason I made the change to an Amish Built cooling unit. I got so sick and tired of all the so called recall fixes and related failures and also the potential for fire with the Norcold cooling unit that I decided to change to the Amish Built unit and not have the worries anymore. Now me and the DW and puppy dog are once again "Happy Campers".

Here's my installation video for anyone who might be a do it yourselfer.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sammie,

Yes, yours was one of the posts that convinced me that the Amish unit was the way to go! However, my extended warranty company would only pay for a new Norcold Unit, so I ended up with that.

My Extended Warranty is over (but I definitely got my $$ worth!) After this is out of the Norcold warranty (1 year), I'm going with the Amish unit, or a residencial. Your video gave me the confidence that I can do it myself!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

As I understand it, the recalled item, is a temperature sensor. It's sole purpose is to shut the heat down, if the boiler gets too hot. I don't think it senses whether or not the cooling unit is bad.
It is quite possible, your unit may only be indicating a bad sensor, not a bad cooling unit. Very frustrating to be sure, if the refer is shut down for no good reason. I have heard that many of these sensors have failed due to water getting to them, as they were not installed properly (i.e. supposed to be upside down). Once checked out, that may be the problem.
The whole problem is ridiculous for such an expensive refer. knowing what I know now, the Amish unit would be worth it, even if the extended service contract wouldn't cover it.
The refers are very simple: you heat the coolant, it rises, condenses, cools the inside, and recirculates. All the fancy electronics are for convience, and safety should the unit get too hot. This is not rocket science, should be bulletproof with the millions out on the road today.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When I pulled out that old Norcold cooling unit and compare it to the Amish unit, there is a world of difference. I can see why the Norcold had problem sometime keeping things cold. I run my norcold on 7-8 and now with the new unit in I run it on 3. My old unit was a leaker. I allso agree that Norcold will never stop the problem, unless they replace the cooling unit. They only look for the cheap way out. I sent around $1,200 shipping and all for the unit. Installation was not that bad.

Tags
norcold, recall