Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Norcold Recall 09E-027

I have a Norcold 1201 LRIM 4 door fridge that was included in the recall. Had it done yesterday (7/16/09) by Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr, Marion, NC. Procedure was accomplished at no charge, and took only a few hours.

They added a "stovepipe collar" (my words) at the center right of the above photo, to the lower end of the exhaust stack. And red wires are attached to what I surmise is the Thermal Switch, or a sensor to the Thermal unit.

One heads up: Upon arrival the svc rep said he needed to order the kit (I called a week in advance & provided the SN for my Cooling Unit), so it would be a 3 or 4 day delay. Argh! He said Norcold would not allow the dealer to order the kit before an inspection was completed. Anyway, the rep switched out another customers kit (who was not arriving for a week), so all worked out OK. I have not checked w/Norcold on this issue.

For those not familiar, Tom Johnson CC is spacious, in the country, has a new cmp gnd (W/S/E) $30/n, new huge waiting area w/snack bar, full-up mx facilities. No I don't have stock in it, but wish I did.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
I have a Norcold 1201 LRIM 4 door fridge that was included in the recall. Had it done yesterday (7/16/09) by Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr, Marion, NC. Procedure was accomplished at no charge, and took only a few hours.

They added a "stovepipe collar" (my words) at the center right of the above photo, to the lower end of the exhaust stack. And red wires are attached to what I surmise is the Thermal Switch, or a sensor to the Thermal unit.

One heads up: Upon arrival the svc rep said he needed to order the kit (I called a week in advance & provided the SN for my Cooling Unit), so it would be a 3 or 4 day delay. Argh! He said Norcold would not allow the dealer to order the kit before an inspection was completed. Anyway, the rep switched out another customers kit (who was not arriving for a week), so all worked out OK. I have not checked w/Norcold on this issue.

For those not familiar, Tom Johnson CC is spacious, in the country, has a new cmp gnd (W/S/E) $30/n, new huge waiting area w/snack bar, full-up mx facilities. No I don't have stock in it, but wish I did.

Thudman
THUDMAN: Would you happen to have a link to Tom Johnson CC?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Here tis:

Tom Johnson Camping Center

Note that there are two locations: Marion and Concord.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here tis:

Thudman
Thanks so much Thudman, always looking for a good CC.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Here tis:

Thudman
I think they only do service at Marion NC.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Posted by ms911
I think they only do service at Marion NC.
They are only doing service in Marion right now. I bought my current coach there and couldn't have been treated better.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I called Norcold today to see if I needed to get in for a recall repair. I have the 1201 LRIM. I was told that the recall was the 2003 and older models, that mine was ok. She did ask for the serial #. I just thought I would mention the dates, as I missed that part .

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I just started the 1st phase of this recall today. I qualified for the recall by calling norcold with the serial numbers etc., and then called a Norcold rv dealer.
They said they would call me in about a week when the part arrives.
I could wait for it as it is not a long proceedure.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I determined from the s/n's on the recall notice that my Norcold is included in the most recent expansion. I went online for Norcold service places. I was in WY and found no service locations in the state. My next planned stop was in ID near West Yellowstone MT where I found a certified mobile service guy. I emailed them my info, they replied asking for more info, I sent that info and they ordered the recall kit. I got an email a couple of days ago that they will be out tomorrow to do the work. Only catch is that I have to pay for the service call, apx 25 mile round trip. They said Norcold will pay for the kit and labor, but not their travel.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Follow-up report -- the mobile tech arrived this morning as scheduled with my recall kit. He cursed the small outside access hole, then said the refrigerator would have to come totally out rather than moving it enough to work through the hole. He also said that had he known it was on a Winnebago, he would have brought a helper. I told him I could help, so he went to work getting it unbolted (on each side of outside compartment) and unscrewed (inside top and bottom) while I emptied it. After much effort both outside and inside, we were completely unable to even move the refrigerator at all. He finally gave up, giving up his $50 round trip service call fee plus whatever he gets from Norcold. He said he has run into some that are glued in with silicone. He said he probably could get it out, but using pry bars inside would likely damage the oak woodwork. His recommendation was that I take it to a Winnie dealer or the factory if I want to pursue the recall alterations.

What has been the experience of other Winnebago owners been on the recall fix ...problems moving the refrigerator at all??? ...fix accomplished without totaly removing the refrigerator???
Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

AFChap: I don't know how different your fridge installation is from mine, but the Winnie dealer (Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr) did mine in about 1.5 hrs without removing the fridge. I was unable to watch the process, so do not know how many techs worked on it.

Thudman

Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here tis:

Thudman
Thudman: I received a nice reply from a fellow named Dan at Tom Johnson CC, he invited me up to try out their campground and facilities.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

You're gonna like it!

Thudman

Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

AF ,chap
Dont sweat it. Your refer. is not going to explode in the next few hours.
Its been operating just fine for 6 plus years.
Wait till you'r in an area of a good Winnie dealer, or private rv repair place ( nORCOLD APPROVED) that has done a recall or two.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage with the 1201 LRIM --- the serial number on my unit is just above the last numbers for the recall. I can tell you from experience what they are trying to prevent. I bought my MH second hand so I do not know where it was stored prior to my purchase but, last year, I was trying to run my frig on propane -- it would light and then it would go out --- I went out and removed the assembly around the flame to get to the area where they are putting in this new metal sleve and temp sensor and found that there were a lot of leaves ----had come in from the top -- even though the top vent hole is covered with the proper covering. The leaves were trying to catch fire --- I removed the leaves and then all was well. I would suggest that anyone who has this refrig (or any other refrig) check the vent pipe to make sure that any foreign objects have not come down the vent pipe and might be subject to catching fire. I am sure that is the reason for this "upgrade."
Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage with the 1201 LRIM --- the serial number on my unit is just above the last numbers for the recall.
Dave -- the recall was extended again in May of this year. Are you sure your 2002 UA has a newer refrigerator than my 2003?? It is possible I suppose, particularly since my coach is a very early '03 model year mfg, but you might want to check to be sure!! The recall has been extended to s/n for the cooling unit 1273701 - 1536607. Those refrigerators were mfg from Mar 2001 through Dec 2002. Your coach had to be built before Dec 2002!!! The Norcold info is at Recall Info

I'm not sweating the recall -- not sure whether or not I will pursue it at all at this point unless it is very convenient for me to do so at some particular time. Based on my coach mfg date, the refrigerator is 7+ years old, and has been used fulltime for the past 4 years.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

AF Chap

The serial numbers that you gave me were higher than the ones that came in the letter from Norcold this last week (yes, I did get a letter from them). Called to give them the model number, the serial numbers and my VIN number --- my unit is one that is in the recall. I got the locations near me and called three of them --- none of them are doing the Norcold recall at this time -- two of them even sounded like they did not want to fool with the problem ??? I am going to talk with Norcold again tomorrow and see if they can send the modification to me --- I am quite handy and from the pictures that I have seen of the modification, it would not be that hard to do. If they will not send out the parts, then I guess I will continue to look for a place to do the work.

As I said in the earlier post, I think the real problem is making sure that the vent is kept clear of debris so that a fire will not start in the vent when you are using the propane for frig cooling.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Dave -- if you decide to have the recall done, here is what I have learned about how our refrigerators are fastened down. Inside the refrigerator there are three screws across the top under removeable trim, and three screws across the bottom under removeable caps OR under the removeable trim piece. Inside the outside access hole, there are two bolts on each side wall. AND, after you remove the vent on the roof, you will find 2 or 3 screws there to remove. I guess Winnebago went for overkill on securing the fridge in place!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
I just started the 1st phase of this recall today. I qualified for the recall by calling norcold with the serial numbers etc., and then called a Norcold rv dealer.
They said they would call me in about a week when the part arrives.
I could wait for it as it is not a long proceedure.
Sorry to revisit this one but since coach is stored offsite I had to wait (and forgot) to look at our numbers. Ours is the 1201 LRIM but our serial numbers start at 997. Why are ours so much higher than the others with this model and year of coach? We bought ours used in 06 but do not know if this fridge has been replaced. Any suggestions?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

You can REGISTER your refrigerator on the link may even get $50 free gas.
Just follow their directions need cooling unit number, serial# of refrigerator and your coach chassis#.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote