Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Norcold not cooling

I know there are many post about norcold problems, but I could not find my answer. mine was working fine for a 3 month trip and all at once it quit cooling on both gas and electric. no codes or alarms. no amonia smell ar yellow residue. I think it must be plugged up. just wondering if there is anything else I can check before ordering an Amish cooling unit.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I know there are many post about norcold problems, but I could not find my answer. mine was working fine for a 3 month trip and all at once it quit cooling on both gas and electric. no codes or alarms. no amonia smell ar yellow residue. I think it must be plugged up. just wondering if there is anything else I can check before ordering an Amish cooling unit.
Mike,
You might try driving down a bumpy road turning your rig from side to side to disslodge any plugged tubing if that is the case. Sometimes the plug in the tubing will disslodge and begin to work again. Just keep in mind that this will only be a temporary fix. Also, if you have had any recalls done recently (assuming this is a Norcold) they can give a false shutdown and must then be serviced by a dealer for the next newest recall.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Mike,
You might try driving down a bumpy road turning your rig from side to side to disslodge any plugged tubing if that is the case. Sometimes the plug in the tubing will disslodge and begin to work again. Just keep in mind that this will only be a temporary fix. Also, if you have had any recalls done recently (assuming this is a Norcold) they can give a false shutdown and must then be serviced by a dealer for the next newest recall.

Sammie
I suspect the bumpy road is what dislodged a hunk of rust or something. the first 2 months was at an rv park, then we started traveling and towards the end of the 3rd week is when it quit. I am always carefull to keep it level.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
...if you have had any recalls done recently (assuming this is a Norcold) they can give a false shutdown and must then be serviced by a dealer for the next newest recall.
OP has a Norcold. Like Sammie said - Is there a red light glowing on the black recall control box clipped to a coil accessible from the outside access panel????
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

things to check: 1st do you have the 'Norcold recall' switch installed, check its light, I believe if the red light comes on, it senses too high a temp and will shut the boiler down. You can call Norcold, give them the model number and serial numbers and they can tell you if it has been installed.
2nd, you can download a service manual for your unit, and if a new enough unit, you can check the various error codes by hitting the front panel buttons in the proper sequense.
3rd, cheapest fix is the thermistor, about $20, if it is faulty
4th, next fix, is the main board, about $250 (get a Dinasour board they are better in my opinion) You can by-pass the main board by disconnecting it, and runing 120v directly to one heating element. If you get cold, then it is the thermistor or main board, if no cold, then a plugged cooling unit.
5th, if the boiler is clogged, the cooling unit needs to be replaced, $1200-$1800 depending upon the unit, 4 hours labor to replace. Amish units are built much better than the Norcold original, but can take a while to get.

I went through all the troubleshooting on a 14 month old refer, worked and didn't work over a 2 month period last summer. Very upset that it was beyond the '12 month' warranty. Tried everything, finally bit the bullet and replaced cooling unit, all has worked fine since.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
or- for 350 bucks- add a residential refer and junk that norcold piece of crap
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

The norcold is a good refer;; There are millions of them out there That are pleasing users well, with there Performance;; Then One has a problem and what do you see. Some person calling them a piece of crap;; Come on Be realistic;;; We have had 13 motorhomes And campers All with Norcold, Since 1975 and have had but ONE failure. I get a bit upset when some one makes a remark like that.... Be a bit more carefull when you post things, You may upset a lot on people..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
The norcold is a good refer;; There are millions of them out there That are pleasing users well, with there Performance;; Then One has a problem and what do you see. Some person calling them a piece of crap;; Come on Be realistic;;; We have had 13 motorhomes And campers All with Norcold, Since 1975 and have had but ONE failure. I get a bit upset when some one makes a remark like that.... Be a bit more carefull when you post things, You may upset a lot on people..
I was not trying to bad mouth norcold, I was just saying I read other post and could not find my answer.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

mikf - I don't know about your Norcold but if it stopped working after driving down a bumpy road I'd check for debris on or in the area of the the burner.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

mikf, Do you have a test light to ckeck for 12volts at rear of refer?

Mike
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
or- for 350 bucks- add a residential refer and junk that norcold piece of crap
mikf - I think bachler's post is referring to the post quoted above, definitely not your post. I, like bachler, find the above quoted post as useless, meaningless, and naive. But they appear and we all have to slog through reading them, albeit only once.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
with all the recalls and the recalls on the recalls, if you wish to ignore what the problems that have been and will be- with this -then I hope you sleep with one eye open. there are more forums then this one that have posted , ad nauseum, about the norcold. if not if- it has a fire- but when.
Just posting the facts.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Rough roads can open bad elecrical connections. Wiggle the connections in the back of the fridge. Also make sure the 12 volt fuse has not blown.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I checked all of the wires for tightness and cleaned the burner with air. it did not look dirty. took the cover off the top and nothing was blocked. this morning it was 35 degrees in the bottom, but it was 45 outside. tommorow it is supposed to be 80, so that should be a better test.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Remove the burner and check its in good condition , they burn away the original slots , ($6)
Check you have good blue flame .
Nothing against residential conversion but what do you do when not plugged into mains , run generator ?????
Good luck and safe travels
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Remove the burner and check its in good condition , they burn away the original slots , ($6)
Check you have good blue flame .
Nothing against residential conversion but what do you do when not plugged into mains , run generator ?????
residential in an rv is not in my plans. I like my freedom when traveling. I will take the burner out and probably replace it while it is out. I think it always did work better on electric.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Maybe I missed your reply, but as someone else asked, did you have a Norcold Recall done? If so, it may have shut down the fridge, in which case, it cannot be turned back on again without dealer service. Is there a little box installed in the outside compartment, with a sensor clamped onto the cooling unit?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Maybe I missed your reply, but as someone else asked, did you have a Norcold Recall done? If so, it may have shut down the fridge, in which case, it cannot be turned back on again without dealer service. Is there a little box installed in the outside compartment, with a sensor clamped onto the cooling unit?
mine was not on the recall list as far as I know. I am sure one was never done.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Forgot to say , I also added 2 small computer fans in back of unit to help move air over coils , made a huge difference .
Hope you get it sorted
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
I have not taken it out yet, but every site that I have looked at says the the orfice comes with the burner. $30 to $38. so I think I will take it out and inspect it before buying a new one. I don't mind spending the money, but only if I need one. $6 I would do just because I had it out. $38 I have to see it first.

Tags
cooling, norcold