Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Norcold not cold while traveling

So, our Norcold 1200 is 14 years old. When we first bought the coach 4 years ago, there were no issues with cooling, either when stationary or traveling. After 56K miles, we gradually started to loose cooling, primarily when traveling (fins reaching nearly 50F while underway). Did all the usual fixes--fans, ARP, baffles, cleaning, etc. Just as we were about to chuck the thing, we figured out the issue. First, our door seals are getting pretty weak. Not happy about a door replacement as the fix, but it is what it is, Second, I finally wandered across a thread on IRV that described a problem with the sealing of the cooling unit pocket. Posting this for future searchers.

It seems our primary issue is a failure of the sealing compound in 4 locations--where the drain tube enters the back of the fridge, the icemaker wires, and the cooling unit tubes themselves (2 locations). Researching the best sealing method now--looks like the original was "permagum" or duct sealing putty, and it certainly held well enough for a long time. Just wondering if expanding foam might not be a better fix.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Interesting; I have not heard of this so I'll be following your thread to see how it turns out. Please post pics of your project.

We have a Dometic and so far, so good.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Pics to follow shortly. Resealing the cabinet where the condensation drain and wiring, as well as the cooling unit tubes, enter the insulated outer cabinet seems to have done the trick. No temp rise when underway, even with our weak door seals
Old 08-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm going to check this out on my 2002, thanks.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

For the weak door seals you could try some magnetic tape around the door to give the current seals something more to grab on to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I did that on mine, and have read where others did it too, it certainly seems to help, and it's way cheaper than replacing the doors.

Tags
cooling, norcold, propane, refrigerator, travel