Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Norcold just turns off

My 4 door Norcold has developed a new problem. Just out of the blue it will turn its self off. I have replaced the thermister, different problem. I am on AC good power level. I push the on/off button and the unit will be ok for as long as it feels for. Then it shuts off. No error codes.Any ideas
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

When you say, "shuts off" can you give more detail? Do all the lights go out as if it might be totally losing power, like in a plug falling out? I might look at that as a semi-easy quick thing.
Or does it just stop cooling and it might still be the thermocouple? In this case I might want to do the ice water test on it, even though new.
Do you have the manual for the frig? That often will give a brief troubleshooting guide and might be worth a check.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes all the lights go out, then when I push the power on button everything seems fine until it wants to shut off again.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would want to look at the power when it shuts down, just to make sure it is getting that as a first step. While you have good power to the coach, it may not be getting to the frig reliably.
It is possible that a bad board, etc. might make the lights go off but bad connections are more where I look first. For one thing they are cheaper and easier than new boards and a new board will not help if the wires are corroded, etc.
Use care if not used to working around 120 Volts! Turn it off while making connections and then turn it on to read the voltage?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thank you, will start looking for poor connections.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
NXR
Winnebago Owner

I'm not understanding the 120 VAC reference. I thought all Norcold's used 12 VDC for the control power and only used 120 VAC for the boiler heaters when not running on propane.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Thank you, will start looking for poor connections.
I had a similar problem. 2006 Winnebago Journey 39k. The fridge went of and on randomly. I got a tech out and he found that the wire that brought power to the unit had broken nearly all the way through. It was down to one or two strands at the point where the wire was crimped to the spade connector. It was creating too much resistance and the processor in the fridge kept restarting randomly. It was pretty obvious (once he found it) and can be seen on observation. Open the refrigerator access panel on the outside and check CLOSELY for frayed or broken wires. Cut, strip and recrimp a new connector and pop it on.
Good luck!
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check to see if your rig is part of a recall on the Norcold fridge
iezzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

This exact problem happened on my rig.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold