Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noisy A/C

Our 2018 Vista 28pe has a Coleman Mach with ceiling ducts. Extremely noisey on low or high fan. Actually low fan is as bad as high. Anyone replaced ther Coleman for something quieter?
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am not aware of any roof top AC that is enough quieter on a Winnebago roof than the Coleman to justify replacement cost. The main issue is that the noise couples into the roof that is only about 2" thick and solid styrofoam between the top and bottom layer. Some other RVs use joists with fiberglass stuffed in between them and this reduces the amount of sound coupling, but at the cost of less structural strength and higher weight.

I did buy a 8,000 BTU portable AC that is much quieter than the roof top units that I can use at night, but it is a bit geeky as to how it sits in my Vista 27N and as to how its hot air exhaust duct gets to a window.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
2016 Winnebago Navion 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
Our 2018 Vista 28pe has a Coleman Mach with ceiling ducts. Extremely noisey on low or high fan. Actually low fan is as bad as high. Anyone replaced ther Coleman for something quieter?
Try this: Mach 8 hush kits I did it to my Navion 24J
and it made a huge difference (super quiet on the outside). On low it is very bearable inside.

I also took the ac cover off the ceiling to check things out, and found some springs under the 4 main mounting screws. I had a hard time finding out what the purpose was. The springs are there to achieve the correct amount of tightness to the roof seal (between the ac base and roof).

What I found was that my springs were squashed and mangled, and the frame they went through was bent. I spent some time straightening the springs and the frame and reassembled. The springs are intended to be tightened until the spring spaces are just closed,

I turned ac on and a lot of rumble (droning( was gone.
MrMarog is offline   Reply With Quote