Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Newbie question about propane tank?

Our 2009 Outlook (new to us in December) is in storage, so I can't go look at it. I don't know why I hadn't thought to check this before now, but we are heading out this week for our first time and it occurred to me to check the amount of propane in the tank so we have enough to get us through the weekend. Is there a gauge on the tank so you know how full it is? I know at home with the gas grill, you never know until it runs out. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but we are totally new at this.
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Not dumb.. always good to ask if your unsure..

Yes, there should be a gauge to show you... it could be a simple 'red arc/green arc' type, the 'full/middle/empty line' type, or one that show percentages... but it should have one.

Now, the real question is, how big is the tank, and how much do you need to get through the trip?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

yes, there should be a gauge on the tank, and maybe a place on the holding tank panel that shows propane level too.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have no idea how big the tank is and I can't seem to find the information in the manual. We are just going away for a 3 day weekend, so I don't think we need that much. I just want to be sure it's not on empty when we leave, since the Outlook is used. I'm guessing the previous owner probably didn't use much though, as the stove looks like it's never been used!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire5
I have no idea how big the tank is and I can't seem to find the information in the manual. We are just going away for a 3 day weekend, so I don't think we need that much. I just want to be sure it's not on empty when we leave, since the Outlook is used. I'm guessing the previous owner probably didn't use much though, as the stove looks like it's never been used!
The stove isn't what uses much propane, it's the heat. We are out on our first trip in our new RV. Never used the stove but it's been in the upper 30's all weekend. We used a third of a 28 gal tank of propane in 3 days. Our previous RV was 3.5 years old and the stove had never been used (dw states she's "on vacation" when in the RV ) We went through at least 5 tanks of propane.

Better check that propane level. There is usually a gauge on the tank and a digital readout inside on your monitor panel.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

With temperatures forecast to be near 90 that weekend, we SURE won't be needing the propane for heat! LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

For Hot Water? Fridge? If you not gonna be hooked up, you'll need propane for those...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

No, we'll have water and electric, so we're OK there.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire5 View Post
Our 2009 Outlook (new to us in December) is in storage, so I can't go look at it. I don't know why I hadn't thought to check this before now, but we are heading out this week for our first time and it occurred to me to check the amount of propane in the tank so we have enough to get us through the weekend. Is there a gauge on the tank so you know how full it is? I know at home with the gas grill, you never know until it runs out. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but we are totally new at this.
You have an 18 gallon propane tank. It looks like there isn't an inside gauge for the propane, so you will have to look at the gauge on the tank. I would fill it before starting out. You will need it for your refrigerator, water heater and furnace. Here is a brochure with all the specifications

2009 Winnebago Outlook
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'd fill it it were me. The gauge may not be accurate and you don't want to run out. I'd suggest you make of note of the gauge needle position if you have one and then you might have a feel for how long you can go between fills when the gauge reach reaches that point again.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As John Hilley mentioned the propane tank holds 18 gallons of liquid. The OPD (overfill protection device) will only allow it to be filled to 80% of its capacity. That means if it's full to the point the opd shuts off the filling process it will hold only 14.4 gallons of propane.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

In our tt (hybrid) we camp about 50 nights a year. We might use the furnace 5 or 6 nights a season and do some cooking on the stove. 90% of the time the hot water tank is on electric. I'll go thru about two 20 gallon propane tanks a year. Since I have two 20 gallon tanks, as one runs out, it gets refilled before the next trip.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
With temperatures forecast to be near 90 that weekend, we SURE won't be needing the propane for heat! LOL
90, I am jealous. My point was the lack of stove use is no indication of how much LP the PO used. I'd top it off before your trip. We stopped on the way home this afternoon and put 12 gallons in our 28 gallon tank. Heat, hot water and lp for the fridge ate up a lot this weekend. We also ran the heat quite a bit this winter while prepping the brand new RV since we bought it in november.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif
In our tt (hybrid) we camp about 50 nights a year. We might use the furnace 5 or 6 nights a season and do some cooking on the stove. 90% of the time the hot water tank is on electric. I'll go thru about two 20 gallon propane tanks a year. Since I have two 20 gallon tanks, as one runs out, it gets refilled before the next trip.
20 gallons or 20 pounds?
Old 04-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

You live in hurricane territory, fill the tank.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Not dumb.. always good to ask if your unsure..

Yes, there should be a gauge to show you... it could be a simple 'red arc/green arc' type, the 'full/middle/empty line' type, or one that show percentages... but it should have one.

Now, the real question is, how big is the tank, and how much do you need to get through the trip?
There is no such thing as an "accurate" propane gauge. Best to check the gauge and then fill the tank. The fill amount is = to the difference in the gauge vs 80%/Delta pounds of the rated full value. The 80% is the max fill allowed per tank to avoid overfilling!

Doing this will get you close to an estimate gauge reading vs. actual!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

OK, guys, we'll check the gauge Thursday afternoon when my hubby brings it home from the warehouse. If it looks like it needs propane, I'll have him take it over and get it filled. Can that be done at a regular hardware store that fills propane tanks for gas grills?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #18

Quote:
OK, guys, we'll check the gauge Thursday afternoon when my hubby brings it home from the warehouse. If it looks like it needs propane, I'll have him take it over and get it filled. Can that be done at a regular hardware store that fills propane tanks for gas grills?
We get ours filled at the local garden center. If they are set up for filling commercial caterers trucks and the like, you're good.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Take the tank off and weigh it. Compare it to a tank you know is full or one that is empty. This will give you a rough idea as to how much is in your tank.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Take the tank off and weigh it. Compare it to a tank you know is full or one that is empty. This will give you a rough idea as to how much is in your tank.
I believe the tank is permanently mounted to the chassis and permanently plumbed to the appliances. It's not the same as portable ones used on a gas grille or travel trailer.