Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New Season startup Blues... Refig no work.

Hi Guys:

Well it's that time to to break out the coach out of moth balls. I decided to do a job I was dredding. When I got the coach home, I pulled all (5) batteries, (3) Coach and (2) engine. The bottom of the battery trays were rusted pretty bad. So I stripped and cleaned and then coated with POR 15. Looks great. PS don't get this stuff on your hands, it will not come off. Just call me BLACK HANDS.

I installed all the batteries again. Everything ok, but I have NO DC power to by Norcold Refrigerator? I am sure I hooked up the coach batteries correctly? Three 12 volt in parallel.

I don't know if it is becuase I pulled battereries and reinstalled, or there was a problem with the fridge before I stored it last year. I had my dealer winterize it and I just drove it to the storage yard and parked it.

The fridge BREAKER underneath the bed is NOT tripped. And the DC fuse panel left bottom courner of fridge, refrig fuse is not popped out. I also pulled panel on outside of coach, behind fridge, there is a RED light on, on a three little plug connector? Don't know what that is for?

Am I missing something some where? Would appreciate any help you can give. Last resort is take to RV shop.

Regards PAH..
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Make/model of frig? It will help....
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It is a Norcold Refrigerator Model No. 1201LRIM.... In operators manual diagram Art01339... in square box #8 & #9... are they fuses?? If so how do I get at them ??

Regards... PAM4
Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If I'm not mistaken your Norcold safety recall box is tripped. It is not re settable.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If I am not mistaken the Norcold 1200 series has had a lot of recalls-check with them with your serial number and the part may be under warranty. But also I here that the 1200 are junk and need to be replaced with something else.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

How do I get another safety recall box? Dealer I presume, any idea how much? My buddy said check the two fuses behind black box from outside panel, panel marked , DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE. It's raining like the dickens right now, I'll think I will wait.

By the way I had the two recall notices fixed when I got them from Norcold by my dealer.

PAM4
Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Last July mine tripped on Friday afternoon, I removed the recall box and rewired the fridge back the way it was and got by till I got home. I am in no way suggesting you do this. This is what I did. I repeat, I am not suggesting you do this.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Have your dealer call Norcold. They have a new revision for the box. If it does not have a hump on the front top of the box it is the old revision and is junk. I believe the good revision is rev E. Norcold will replace it free.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Do you know that the fail-safe is actually tripped? Look at the LED on the box.

There is also a fuse on the control board of the fridge located in the rear of the fridge. I managed to blow that one while installing a distribution fan in the box.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jeff:

The red LED light is lit on the box..??? So my guess is that it is not tripped. Diagram in owners manual shows one or two fuses on the board behind black box panel. Problem is I have to disconnect about eight different wires connected through holes in plastic box to remove the face of the box. It was still raining and I got a shock from that thing that looks like a blue top hat with the two leads coming out of it.

Not a lot of room in there to work with. I will probably just run it up to my RV shop. The coach has to be inspected anyway.

PAM4
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think that when the LED is red it indicates it has tripped. I have the box, LED not lit & refrig. works.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Yep, I believe when it is tripped the red light will be on. Unfortunately, tripping them erroneously is quite common especially since you were messing with your batteries.

I'm soooo glad we don't have to deal with the Norcold recall crap any longer! Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out
RobertShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If the led is on the box is tripped. If the box does not have the "hump" on it as I described above it is junk. To test the fridge connect the red +12 in to the blue 12 out and the fridge should work. Do not fun it like this as you are bypassing all the safety devices. Get another recall kit installed. As I said Norcold will send the dealer a new one no charge.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote