Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Magic Chef Maytag Stove/propane problem.

Well, we just did our first trip in the new 2008 win. 29R. We went to a local airshow in Arlington Wa. A great little event if you are interested in airplanes.

Most went well, a few little glitches that resulted in only 30 or so items that needed fixing or additions to make life easier. The biggest one is our Magic Chef Maytag three burner stove. This is our third RV so I know how to purge the propane lines and clean orifices etc (did that stuff already). What happened was it seemed an awefull long time to get the burner going and then the flame seemed so small. The rear burners hardly had a flame.

So today I did all my research, came down with a plan and not much changed. I think I know the next step but I’d like to hear your advice. BTW, the sound is bad so basically I’m pointing out how the back burners are barely lit and that the front burner is pulsating.

Please take a look at the video and let me know what you think the next step is.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Posting from an iPad. Grrrrrr

Video is probably too large. I’m working on an iPad and might have to switch to my desktop to edit the video size. Too late tonight but will do it tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

A working Video. Sorry for the last one :(

A working Video. Sorry for the last one :(
Attached Files
Old 07-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Pressure regulator or stove valve manifold.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #5
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Would that be the pressure regulator on the tank or at the stove?

Would that be the pressure regulator on the tank or at the stove?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if the stove has a regulator or not. If the water heater runs fine on propane then it is contained to the stove.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

My thoughts too.

As soon as you mentioned the regulator I looked at it and sure enough there is one on the right side. I’m just in the process of checking out pricing. If it’s cheap enough I’ll put one in and reply with the results.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

just letting you know ....

That I'm not leaving you hanging. I've tried a few things suggested to me that didn't work. Here is a cut and past as to where I am now.

Well i tried what you said a few times. I think the first time I was too fast. I also tried purging the lines over night then turning it on slowly but it hasn't changed. I did notice that each time i slowly turned the main valve there was a little spurting sound and something closing into place. I gather the internal workings of the main reg.

I also turned on the HWT just to confirm there was good pressure and there is.

So now I'm looking online for a new regulator and it isn't as easy as I thought.

First off, its listed as a Maytag Reg. RV20LTEF. The RV20 stand for the type and the letters refer to an internal vent, hi heat operating location and that it isn't adjustable. So it has to operate in a high heat location and it needs 3/8 NPT out and 3/8 NPT in (although mine has an adapter to 1/4 copper incoming pipe).

I have been in contact with a local supplier that will sell me a maytag replacement for $140 CDN. :(

I have also been in contact (telephone tag) with Maxitrol trying to see if there is a non-brand name equivalent regulator. Still trying to find out.

Anyone know of a better way to go about finding a new reg.?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quick Google found this

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Maxitrol...U-h-10674000-p
Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Yuh but.

When I talked to them they were not able to say that it met the “high heat” spec. That the present reg. Has. I,ve been playing telephone tag with Maxitrol to find out.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
Well, we just did our first trip in the new 2008 win. 29R. We went to a local airshow in Arlington Wa. A great little event if you are interested in airplanes.

Most went well, a few little glitches that resulted in only 30 or so items that needed fixing or additions to make life easier. The biggest one is our Magic Chef Maytag three burner stove. This is our third RV so I know how to purge the propane lines and clean orifices etc (did that stuff already). What happened was it seemed an awefull long time to get the burner going and then the flame seemed so small. The rear burners hardly had a flame.

So today I did all my research, came down with a plan and not much changed. I think I know the next step but I’d like to hear your advice. BTW, the sound is bad so basically I’m pointing out how the back burners are barely lit and that the front burner is pulsating.

Please take a look at the video and let me know what you think the next step is.

Thanks in advance

Do you see that little thing on the right side where the copper tubing attaches? That is your regulator. I suspect it is bad.

The one in this parts list would work: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...ly2220bdb.html

This place should be able to help you for a better price: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ra...regulator.html
Old 07-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Propane Problems

Had similar symptoms, low flame pressure at stove, fridge would show "no flame" and hot water would not stay lit. Had a quick connect installed by dealer at propane tank, and they did it with copper line fixed to frame. Covered it with loom. Flex in frame in travel and road stress resulted in a minute crack in line. Being outside with wind blowing ,did not get the telltale smell. Winnebago in Forest City located problem ,did it right and no more problems. After regulator checks out, use the soapy water spray to look for leaks.
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Regulators

Most regulators, although not sure on the really small appliance regulators have a place to measure outlet pressure from the valve. On propane that is usually 10 to 11 inches water column (a little under 1/2 psi) If the pressure is low there, and your other appliances are working fine, you can almost guarantee it is the regulator. This should be measured with some flow through the regulator. If that is in the normal range, I would for a kink in the line aluminum tubing feeding the manifold for the 3 burner valves. If you light one burner and then light a second, does the first burner get less flow? If so, you have a line kink or the regulator has "frozen" in a nearly closed position.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Crystal

Check with Mobility RV. They carry all Winnebago parts. You will need to give them your serial # and model and they will be able to look up exactly what is in your motor home. If they have the item in stock shipping is fast. 800=933-7742.
Richpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #15
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Winnie part ....

Reg. From Winnebago or the supplier is around $140 cdn. I’m trying to avoid that and have found a new reg. I’ll do a write up once it’s installed and tested. The “other” reg is only $25 usd and meets the two biggest requirements. Heat location and pressure.

As for the question about lighting the second burner. Yes both burners go down and the second is barely lit. If only one lit it also pulsates.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Problem solved. Not what anyone would have guessed

So I finnaly gave up because I don’t have the tools to test line pressure. I had a window shatter so while it was in I had them look for the problem. Turned out it was....................

A propane line between the stove and steel pipe. It turns out it was twisted and cracked. Once replaced the three burners all provide a nice strong flame
Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So I finnaly gave up because I don’t have the tools to test line pressure. I had a window shatter so while it was in I had them look for the problem. Turned out it was....................

A propane line between the stove and steel pipe. It turns out it was twisted and cracked. Once replaced the three burners all provide a nice strong flame
From the factory? Glad you got it fixed. That was a very bad problem.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

From the Factory?

Probably more of an age thing but if it was kinked yes from the factory.

He did say it was cracked so that would be an age thing no matter what. When I replaced the one that goes from the tank to the pipes it was also pretty stiff.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Probably more of an age thing but if it was kinked yes from the factory.

He did say it was cracked so that would be an age thing no matter what. When I replaced the one that goes from the tank to the pipes it was also pretty stiff.
I don't know how the pipe could crack from age! I have never heard of this being a problem on RV propane systems before this. These systems are usually mounted very solid. Stress flex is a minimum. Please consider contacting Winnebago and request a reimbursement. That pipe should have never been kinked. I suspect the stress of the kink caused the failure.

Failure of the flex line from the regulator to the hard pipe does happen from time to time after years of service. But, hard pipe? Again, I have never heard of it failing unless damaged.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #20
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Its a 2008 and Im havig some problems....

Its a 2008 so I don't expect anything from Win. I'm am also having some problems with the dealership that did the repair. If I don't get some satisfaction you may be hearing "the whole story" right here.

Tags
propane