Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

LP Heat will not shut off

I had the coach on LP Gas and I tried to shut it off via the thermostat and it wouldn't shut off.

I then tried using the thermostat to turn on the overhead fan and it came on so I know the thermostat worked to turn on the overhead fan on.

But when I turned the thermostat to the off position the LP gas continued to heat the coach. I did wait a considerable amount of time for it to shut off.

It wasn't until I shut the main LP gas off did the heater then shut off.

Any ideas what is going on?

thanks
Old 11-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I had the coach on LP Gas and I tried to shut it off via the thermostat and it wouldn't shut off.

I then tried using the thermostat to turn on the overhead fan and it came on so I know the thermostat worked to turn on the overhead fan on.

But when I turned the thermostat to the off position the LP gas continued to heat the coach. I did wait a considerable amount of time for it to shut off.

It wasn't until I shut the main LP gas off did the heater then shut off.

Any ideas what is going on?

thanks

I noticed mine did that too, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized this may be a safety feature. When I paid strict attention to it, I noted that when I turned the thermostat off or way down, the heater fan did indeed continue to run for about a full minute, then shut off. I suspect this is to ensure that the "burner box" cools sufficiently to prevent the possibility of an uncontrolled fire breaking out.

At least that sounds logical!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It wasn't just blowing, it was heating. It was almost 86 degrees in the coach.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
It wasn't just blowing, it was heating. It was almost 86 degrees in the coach.

Ok, that sure does make it sound like a thermostat problem. It does seem that my thermostat has little if any correlation with ambient air temperature.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here is where not only the forum but Google is your friend. I did a quick search on google or rv thermostat and had a bunch of trouble shooting sites come up. Some of the info was about the thermostat and its connections. Make sure all is fine within the thermostat. Reading quickly one also said something about checking the 12v connections at the furnace.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The LP furnace is in the floor as is its duct work and the overhead fan will usually be for heat strips or heat pump in the AC units so 2 different systems.

This may need to be revisited to ensure exactly which system was being turned off, on, etc. On the LX the heat pumps might have a separate little AirXcel thermostat too.

The LP furnace in the floor has to run several minutes to cool down the heat exchanger before it will shut the fan down and yes sometimes the detents in the multi-positon switch do not line up perfectly with the printing on the RVComfort ColemanMach thermostat so one may accidentally have the slider in-between off and heat however the thermostat should still maintain temperature. The circuit board in the ColmanMach thermostat have been know to get damaged from the switch being too aggressively fussed with too.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Reply to jhedges

Change the small battery in your thermostat.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I should have said change the battery in your thermometer.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thermostat works as I can change it to trigger the air conditioner and electric heat. It just didn't turn off LP gas even after quite some time being on. I'm going to retest this weekend and see how it acts. I will post results. thanks
Old 11-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Is it possible that one of your temp sensor thermistors has been damaged or removed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6DBB491-9C31-4720-96B0-438977FE8432.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	172434  
Old 11-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

wonder where my temp sensors are located? hmmm
Old 11-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
Site Team

Generally, they are on a wall in the bedroom and another near the living room. People are constantly asking what those little buttons are for. Very common point of confusion.

I looked at the wiring diagram for the 30T and it looks like you have two thermostats - so maybe you don't have the temp sensors. I saw one thermostat in the bedroom and the other in the main hallway were all the tank meters and slide controls are located.

Tags
heat