Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House A/C

Hello all.My 2005 Journey 32T house A/C blows,but quit cooling.Worked fine last time I used the coach a couple of months ago.What are some common causes to look for.I do most of my own work as a retired mechanic.Trying to avoid a shop and a large bill...Appreciate any advice
THANKS BH
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check freon would be my first guess?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the compressor isn't running, it could be the capacitor(s). Easy, cheap fix. Just discharge them before working on them. Lots of info online:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just had a problem with one of my a/c units. Had worked shortly before and then intermittent. I figured it was something electrical maybe a loose connection. Found none. Then had a brain storm have two identical units so I started swapping parts from one to the other. Found it "outdoor temperature relay board. Took the part number on it did a search on google found part ordered $46.74 got it in 4 days. works fine now no dealer bill.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just had the same problem. Do yourself a favor and buy new capacitor for each one. I ordered mine from ebay. I checked mine with an old style volt ohm meter that has a needle. Put it on ohms setting and short across the 2 terminals, and it shouldn't show continuity. Then reverse the 2 and it might jump for a second, but come back down. If one way shows continuity, it's bad.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Follow Herbste's advice and switch capacitors. Another clue is that bad caps often leak or swell. A domed top or bottom is a bad sign.

By the way, capacitors can an easy DIY fix for your home A/C as well.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Follow Herbste's advice and switch capacitors. Another clue is that bad caps often leak or swell. A domed top or bottom is a bad sign.

By the way, capacitors can an easy DIY fix for your home A/C as well.
Yes, my 8 year old home unit stopped running several days before the the 4th, bad capacitor. Two separate units with the same kind of problem, makes me wonder. Our voltage checks out good, though, 122 volts.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Failed electrolytic capacitors are a common cause of failures in many types of electronic gear. I've fixed several guitar amps and other devices that way. They're cheap, too.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You might also check that the thermostat in the rv is working. Mine makes a small click of a relay when it requests cold air. Turn the setpoint high, then low and you should hear the relay. If you don't it might be a problem with the themostat. On mine, the "Cool/Off/Gas Heat/Elec Heat" slide switch gets goofy and it seems to think that I want it "Off". If I play with it I hear the click and the cool air comes out.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The most common cause will be the start capacitors for the compressors. Note that they should be replaced as a set that includes the hard start device which is how AirExcel packages them:

What causes these to fail is very often low voltage at campgrounds so simply replacing the capacitors and hard start devices is often just a short term as you will likely be replacing them again unless you get a voltage correction transformer such as the Hughes Autoformer.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Journey AC

The Journey has residential AC so it might not be like roof air. I know they can be serviced but you need a tek that can insert a charge line. MacGiver kind of tek.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
2002 Journey WPK36GD

You may have your answer by now but one option is to call Leon of National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN. He works on the basement air and just fixed mine. Since it had never been out of the chassis it took quite a bit of work to get it out and then back in (welding stuff). Anyway he had diagnosed the problem and was correct before we took it out. He showed me how to check currents and to switch on the second stage. By monitoring the current he could tell there was no Freon in the second stage. It could be the start capacitors and if that is what he says buy the caps from him. He almost never answers the phone and you have to leave him a message. He is very busy and is traditional Amish so he answers after he finishes the day and chores plus he is honest to a fault.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote