Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Furnace blower circuit breaker location

Is there a circuit breaker for the furnace blower that I can check and where is it located.
jcl071441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello and welcome. It will be helpful if you include your RV make and model so that we can try to assist.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome! Please tell us your Make Model and Year so we can better answer your question.

General answer:

Furnace has a dedicated 10 Amp fuse in your 12 Volt DC Coach General Circuit Fuse Box, generally this is in the same WFCO box with the AC circuit breakers on most Winnebagos. This fuse feeds both the thermostat and the furnace so if your thermostat LCD is out this might be the issue.

The larger Atwood propane furnaces have a circuit breaker that is only accessible by removing the cover on the outside wall of the RV , it is mounted on the blower housing.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 adventure 37B. I turned on the furnace for the first time since I owned it and the blower did not come on and I am trying to find the problem.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The general answer I provided in post #3 applies to your particular RV. Good luck. FYI, a common cause of blower not coming on is wasps nest inside the burner side of the furnace blower assembly that prevents the blower from turning at all. This might be your situation if you have never used it and the outside furnace vents did not have a wasp blocker screen assembly on them. A blower wheel that can't turn can cause a overcurrent in the motor that will trip the Atwood circuit breaker inside the furnace. You can find links to the Atwood Furnace manuals on WinnebagoInd web site.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

thank yoy
Old 11-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
Itasca Owners

There is one other easy possibility. On our heater, the fan setting on the thermostat must be set to AUTO and not to ON. ON only operates the fan in the roof AC unit. Also check that you can hear the thermostat click to send power to the furnace.

Assuming that the circuit breaker or fan setting is not the issue, try applying 12V power directly to the blower motor. If it hums and does not blow air, there is an obstruction in the blower as Powercat RAS suggests.

You should be able to download the SERVICE manual (not the owner's manual) from the manufacturer. I'd suggest you do that before going further as you need to disconnect the gas and pull the furnace out of its housing. Pull the furnace and clean the blower. If the blower runs when directly connected to 12V, the problem is likely the control board. You can buy those for $80-$100 on Amazon. While the furnace is out, also clean the burner and check sail switch and overheat sensor.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you ever one. I got it working.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl071441 View Post
Thank you ever one. I got it working.
Good deal on getting it going. I was going to suggest something that might almost sound like accusing you of being a dummy! But then there are most of us who don't really know everything and need a pointer or two?
One thing new users may miss on electric ignition things like furnace or water heaters is that there may be some delay between turning it on and the fire coming up.
Lots of little points that seem so easy once we do them like a hundred times!
Top hint of the day, for me, might be to mention all the vents to those things like heaters and furnaces should have a screen added to keep the bugs like mud daubers and wasps from getting in and building a big old nest in the wrong spot. Those two ports for intake and exhaust where it says "hot"? Those look just like a front door to the little buggers! And if the furnace can't suck air, it will NOT light!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Besides checking the circuit breaker I started the rv up to make sure I had enough of a charge on the batteries. After letting it run for a few minutes I tried to start the furnace. The first thing I noticed was the fan started to run and continued to run I went out behind the unit and I could feel hot exhaust coming out of the furnace exhaust port. I shut the unit down and the furnace continued to run. The fan continued to blow but not as fast as when I had the motor running. It took a long time to get some warm air flowing. I figure when I am in Florida and plug into shore power it might work better.

Thanks again for all the help. I am new to rv'ing and figure I will have lots of time in Florida to learn more about my motor home and how to operate it.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

One of the big things about furnaces is the number of safety items which do take a bit of experience to learn what is normal. When we turn on the furnace we hear a blower start as step one of safety. If that blower doesn't move enough air to make for safe operation, it doesn't light. something like a wasp nest in the intake or exhaust is one frequent problem so adding a screen over those vents is a good idea if we live where the buggers are around. Then when we shut it down, the blower will run until the furnace has cooled enough.
So it is a definite thing to go with the flow and when something doesn't start right away like we expect, sometimes all we really need to do is wait a bit longer.
But think of how well those little headaches are taking care of us, like not opening the gas valve and letting a bunch of gas collect before it lights! If it can't get airflow, it doesn't open the gas valve? I'm good with that idea!
Enjoy the trip!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace