Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

frig not getting cold

Have norcold n821 frig in 99 Itasca 35. The freezer will freeze water over nite, however the bottom frig will not get cold, showing about 60 degrees, anyone have an idea whats going on. It does this on gas and electric? thanks
rfonte649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfonte649 View Post
Have norcold n821 frig in 99 Itasca 35. The freezer will freeze water over nite, however the bottom frig will not get cold, showing about 60 degrees, anyone have an idea whats going on. It does this on gas and electric? thanks
Check that the thermistor is firmly attached to the cooling fins inside the refer. about 1/3 the way up from the bottom of the fin.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

moved the thermistor around the other day. No difference, could the thermistor be the problem?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
moved the thermistor around the other day. No difference, could the thermistor be the problem?
Yes. Disconnect it and see if the refer starts cooling better. It could freeze up refer contents. Check it after a few hours
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks will try that in am.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks will try that in am.
When I say disconnect I mean totally unplug it from the circuit. If you leave it plugged but removed from fins, the test will be invalid. Hope it helps.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Had the same problem. Replaced the thermistor (it's does not cost much to replace) problem solved!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Steve and Leslie where did u unplug the thermistor at?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I admit to not knowing much but I would really appreciate it if one of you could give a bit more info on the Thermistor. I have a similar problem (cools to low 40's) but would like to be colder. What does the Thermistor look like and can it be removed with out removing any thing else. Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Steve and Leslie where did u unplug the thermistor at?
On our Norcold 1200 (I think this maybe a different model than yours). There is an inside light at the top center of the refer box. Remove the cover. The plug for the thermistor is there.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
I admit to not knowing much but I would really appreciate it if one of you could give a bit more info on the Thermistor. I have a similar problem (cools to low 40's) but would like to be colder. What does the Thermistor look like and can it be removed with out removing any thing else. Thanks
Ours is black in color, about 1 1/3" long, has two wires an a clip and is located on the "grill" cooling blades in the back. Held on to the grill by the clip. It is removed from the light at the top center of the inside refer box. It is plugged into the light. The light cover needs to be removed. It is an easy end user fix.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Arrow Theristor

Found the Thermistor and unplugged it. Will give it a couple of hours and see if there is any difference.

Thanks of the replies.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Found the Thermistor and unplugged it. Will give it a couple of hours and see if there is any difference.

Thanks of the replies.
do a forum search. there is a lot of info about the thermistor including how to move it on the fins to make the temp colder.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

thermistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
When I say disconnect I mean totally unplug it from the circuit. If you leave it plugged but removed from fins, the test will be invalid. Hope it helps.

What your saying is if we un plug the thermistor all together the fridge will get colder with out it?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Unplugged the thermister, waited 2+ hours and temp was down 10 degrees. Ordered a new one yesterday. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Unplugged the thermister, waited 2+ hours and temp was down 10 degrees. Ordered a new one yesterday. Thanks.
You are welcome. Happy to help
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post

What your saying is if we un plug the thermistor all together the fridge will get colder with out it?
Only if the thermistor is your problem. There could be many other reasons for the fridge not being at the proper temperatures.

Without the thermistor in the circuit, the fridge goes into Backup Operating System mode, BOS, which is where the cooling unit runs flat out and will only turn off or defrost on time versus temperature of the fins.

Backup Operating System (BOS)

The backup operating system (BOS) is an electronically controlled duty cycle. It maintains the refrigerator in operation if the thermistor is
disconnected or fails. The BOS maintains cooling by controlling the heat source selected. When the refrigerator is operating in BOS, the length of the cooling cycle is regulated by time rather than regulated by temperature.

To accomplish this, the BOS adjusts the length of the cooling cycle according to the temperature setting selected by the user; the higher the temperature setting, the longer the cooling cycle. For example, if
the temperature setting is set to 5, raising the setting to 6 will lengthen the cooling cycle, making the cabinet colder.

When a warmer temperature is desired, changing the temperature setting to a lower number shortens the cooling cycle. For example, if the temperature setting is set to 6, lowering the setting to 5 will shorten the cooling cycle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

So what should be the proper temp if the thing is working right? Moving the thermistor up and down the proper fin will change the temp? Why would we need it if with out it things are the way we want?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
So what should be the proper temp if the thing is working right? Moving the thermistor up and down the proper fin will change the temp? Why would we need it if with out it things are the way we want?
yes, moving the thermistor will change the fridge temperature and somewhat change the freezer temperature.
ideally, i would like my freezer temp to be near 0 degrees and my fridge temp to be 33-34 degrees.
when set to 4, the best i can do so far is 33-34 in the fridge with about 8 degrees in the freezer.
my freezer does make 4 trays of ice cubes in tupperware trays in about 36 hours and it keep ice cream hard.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Here is a Thermistor test to try. Generally, when the freezer is at or below freezing and the fresh food section is significantly warmer the cooling unit is failing - which could be the result of an internal blockage in the tubing or it has compromised itself and has begun leaking coolant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThermistorTest.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	49439