Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Fridge Too Cold

Our 2013 Sunstar 30T has a Norcold N61X refrigerator that is freezing things in the fridge section & even freezes vodka in the freezer. It is set on the lowest setting (#1). This just started on a two week trip. We have emptied it & defrosted it & tried it with only a bottle of water in the fridge (which still freezes). Any ideas?
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

(1) Is the ON light blinking every few seconds? If so, describe once, twice or 3 times every 3 seconds...
(2) Inside the refer in the fresh food section (not the freezer) notice the aluminum fins on the back wall. There is a temerature sensor (thermistor) that should be attached about 3/4s of the way up the 2nd aluminum fin from the right. Is this sensor attached? Do the wires look intact?
(3) With the door open, can you push the door switch by hand and does the interior light in the refer turn on and off?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you are set for the warmest setting and you are still freezing it is my guess that the temperature control is not functioning.

We just did our first trip 2,500 miles (Oct 1-20th) in the 2014 WBGO Vista 30T with the Norcold unit. We traveled from AR to the central area of MI and had varying outside temps so we had to adjust the temperature setting as we traveled from warm to cool and cold outside temperatures. The fridge temperature controls worked well. The fridge temps would change and the DW would raise or lower the number settings to compensate and the fridge would eventually adjust.

It's time to have someone look at it. With a 2013 you may still be within some factory or coach warranty.

I would also mention that in our last TT with the Dometic fridge we didn't have temperature number settings on the front of the unit. Instead it had a temperature sensing device fit onto one of the fins inside the fridge. To adjust temps you raised or lowered the sensor. We didn't like that way of adjusting the temps but it did work. Well it worked once we found out how to adjust it.

TeJay
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

[quote=94-newmar;1785274](1) is the on light blinking every few seconds? If so, describe once, twice or 3 times every 3 seconds... No, the light is on & not blinking

(2) inside the refer in the fresh food section (not the freezer) notice the aluminum fins on the back wall. There is a temerature sensor (thermistor) that should be attached about 3/4s of the way up the 2nd aluminum fin from the right. Is this sensor attached? Do the wires look intact? The thermistor is about 3/4 way up the 10th fin & seems secure

(3) with the door open, can you push the door switch by hand and does the interior light in the refer turn on and off? Yes, the light does turn off as the door closes.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just checked the service manual.. the 10th fin and current position is indeed correct. If the thermistor was bad you would most have a blinking ON light condition indicating the unit is in a timed backup mode of operation, which the temperature setting merely cylces the unit based upon run time rather than temperature.

Check the perimeter door seals on the refrig section.. make sure they are all there and not folded under in some fashion. You can also take a dollar bill and close it in the door leaving enough sticking out and pull it around the perimeter of the seal - checking for even "tautness". Just checking to make sure the seals are indeed sealing well as there is no temp control (thermistor) in the freezer compartment.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

No problem with the seals - they are all good.

I am beginning to wonder if it could be the switch that regulates the temp. It has settings from one to five & so far it appears that the inside temp is the same (around 20F) no matter where I set it.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Wow a No-Cold that is actually too cold. Mostly with a No-Cold, they are too warm.

Ken
Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Isn't there a condition where the frig switches to a default setting that continually operates the frig at its coldest setting until the frig can be repaired? (getting old, memory is too)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Isn't there a condition where the frig switches to a default setting that continually operates the frig at its coldest setting until the frig can be repaired? (getting old, memory is too)
Yes, in a few posts up I described the "backup" run condition. However, even in backup mode on the N6X series, it will adhere to temp settings you select from the optical control - just based upon run time for each setting vs temp. Longer runtime for higher number, shorter for lower number
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
No problem with the seals - they are all good. I am beginning to wonder if it could be the switch that regulates the temp. It has settings from one to five & so far it appears that the inside temp is the same (around 20F) no matter where I set it.
Hrmmm... I guess we could prove the theory of your temp pushbutton not working by unplugging the thermistor in the fridge on the fins. This will force it into a backup operating mode that will regulate temp based upon time according to the temp setting you choose rather than actual temp. If it continues freezing the fresh food area then I would concur we need to look closer at the optical control board.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just pulled the thermistor & unplugged it, dried it off & re-installed it. As soon as the refrigerator dries out good I will turn it back on set at 1 & see what happens over night. If it still freezes in the fridge section I will try unplugging the thermistor & let it operate in backup mode for the next couple of weeks when we will be mostly on the road & then find out where I need to take it to get it fixed - its still under warranty - just bought the MH new in March. If it continues to freeze foods unless we turn it off periodically, I guess we can conclude it must be the optical control board? I doubt I could get Norcold to send me one under warranty & let me replace it - it just plugs in but I may try calling them to see.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #11

It might be worth

You can take the thermistor out and check it's resistance at whatever temprature the troubleshooting manual specifies.

Not an expensive part and easily replaced if it's out of spec.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well, drying & re-installing the thermistor did not solve the problem - still operates below 30F no matter how I set it.

So, today I unplugged the thermistor & have confirmed that the optical controls are working because when I leave it set at #5 for a few hours, it drops to 15F & when I leave it at #1 for a few hours, it gets up in the 40-50F range.

Can I conclude from those results that it is the thermistor even though when I had it plugged in the green light was solid & did not blink?
(now with the thermistor unplugged the green light is blinking slowly)

If it is the thermistor, I wonder if I could buy one online somewhere? It is simple to replace - just plugs in & clips on the fin. I would rather pay for one than go through the hassle of getting it repaired somewhere under the warranty.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

Of course you can

You can probably find one on Amazon or EBay, but if there's an RV shop anywhere near where you are they might even have one in stock. They might be able to verify that yours is bad before you buy a new one.

If you do have to replace the control board you may want to switch to the Dinosaur board if they make one for your model refer.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
Well, drying & re-installing the thermistor did not solve the problem - still operates below 30F no matter how I set it.

So, today I unplugged the thermistor & have confirmed that the optical controls are working because when I leave it set at #5 for a few hours, it drops to 15F & when I leave it at #1 for a few hours, it gets up in the 40-50F range.

Can I conclude from those results that it is the thermistor even though when I had it plugged in the green light was solid & did not blink?
(now with the thermistor unplugged the green light is blinking slowly)

If it is the thermistor, I wonder if I could buy one online somewhere? It is simple to replace - just plugs in & clips on the fin. I would rather pay for one than go through the hassle of getting it repaired somewhere under the warranty.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!
moving the thermistor down on a fin should make the fridge warmer.
moving the thermistor on a fin to the left should make the fridge warmer.
the thermistor resistance at 70 degrees f should be 9.5k ohms, at 38 degrees 24k ohms.
turn the fridge off prior to unplugging the thermistor.
the fridge section, not the freezer, should automatically defrost every 48 hours.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Had the same problem with our Norcold N611 last summer. The replacement of the thermistor solved it. It was part # 618548 and runs around $20. I believe that a lot of RV repair shops will have this in stock, but there are many places on-line where you can get it also. Google "norcold 618548". Hope this helps.
Al
Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wow a No-Cold that is actually too cold. Mostly with a No-Cold, they are too warm.

Ken
X2!!!! The norcold and the domestic never did that for us.
My residential fridge in the Winnie doesn't do that.
Good luck.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

It was the thermistor - I picked one up locally for $25, changed it out & now its working fine!

Tags
fridge