Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Fridge on propane while traveling or off

Hello All....just wondering...have heard both turn off the propane feed to the fridge while driving or leave it on....have heard horror stories of fires....any opinions?...thx all
mikecav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

"Many".... RVs have a 3-way Automatic selecting refrigerator. Meaning they require 12V DC to operate their 'brains' but use the most efficient (or available) energy source when on AUTO.

So, they are 12V DC, 110V AC, and LP capable. (Yes.... you can manually select an energy source but why bother..... just put it on AUTO and move on to other issues).

How it works.

You need 12V DC to 'bring it to life'. That can be 12V off the coach batteries or 12V off the inverter when on shore power or the generator.

Once it is 'breathing'.... you have 3 plus 1 choices to actually operate the cooling unit in the fridge

110V AC - to energize the 110/120 V AC resistance heater in the cooling unit using shore or generator as the energy source, OR,

12V DC - to energize the 12V 'heater' in the cooling unit using the engine alternator as the energy source, OR,

LP - to run the 'burner' heat source in the cooling unit.

These are separate and independent of each other. It is one, two or three depending on the energy source available to the unit. You can manually select the source OR use our 'plus One' option, AUTOMATIC.

The advantage of AUTO is that the unit will switch to the most efficient/available energy source without human intervention. Lets say you are camping and are breaking camp. You have been using shore power and the unit is running on 110V AC. You disconnect from shore and the unit automagically looks for it's best source of energy. So, it auto switches to LP. And, you spend 30-45 minutes getting ready to move out while the unit sucks on LP. As soon as you tach up the coach, the unit says.... HEY! I've got 12-14V DC power and it kills the LP use and starts heating the 12V DC heater. And that will stay on as long as you are running the engine.

Should you pull into a rest stop or make a pit stop, it will switch back to LP (almost always after an adequate safety delay in case you are at a fuel stop ... check your manual!) When you go back to full hook up, the unit senses 110V AC power and says "YEAAAAA!!!! Now I have 'juice' and it goes over to AC operation.

All very clever.

Much angst about running with LP on. Frankly, in a serious accident you got a HELL OF A LOT MORE TO WORRY ABOUT than the LP igniting. If you have every seen an RV wreck on the road or on video.... it is an ever loving mess. There's debris scattered for 1/2 mile all over. And, if there is a fire.... like from a tire blow out or similar issue..... maybe an engine oil leak/ hot exhaust thing..... you have but one choice. PUNCH OUT! ABANDON SHIP!!!!! EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. Get up wind. Get to as safe distance. Count heads and pups...... Call 911. RVs, as safe as they are will 'smoulder to the ground' in minutes in a rip-roaring blaze. Tires explode. Combustible stuff just burns in a hot flash. LP tanks will vent when the heat gets to them adding more fun to the scene. Just let her burn....maybe get a cell phone video...

So.... to put it more clearly..... You can leave the LP on (with a 'smart' fridge) because it doesn't run the fridge when the engine is running. Only when you stop and do not use genny or shore power...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
"Many".... RVs have a 3-way Automatic selecting refrigerator. Meaning they require 12V DC to operate their 'brains' but use the most efficient (or available) energy source when on AUTO.

So, they are 12V DC, 110V AC, and LP capable. (Yes.... you can manually select an energy source but why bother..... just put it on AUTO and move on to other issues).

How it works.

You need 12V DC to 'bring it to life'. That can be 12V off the coach batteries or 12V off the inverter when on shore power or the generator.

Once it is 'breathing'.... you have 3 plus 1 choices to actually operate the cooling unit in the fridge

110V AC - to energize the 110/120 V AC resistance heater in the cooling unit using shore or generator as the energy source, OR,

12V DC - to energize the 12V 'heater' in the cooling unit using the engine alternator as the energy source, OR,

LP - to run the 'burner' heat source in the cooling unit.

These are separate and independent of each other. It is one, two or three depending on the energy source available to the unit. You can manually select the source OR use our 'plus One' option, AUTOMATIC.

The advantage of AUTO is that the unit will switch to the most efficient/available energy source without human intervention. Lets say you are camping and are breaking camp. You have been using shore power and the unit is running on 110V AC. You disconnect from shore and the unit automagically looks for it's best source of energy. So, it auto switches to LP. And, you spend 30-45 minutes getting ready to move out while the unit sucks on LP. As soon as you tach up the coach, the unit says.... HEY! I've got 12-14V DC power and it kills the LP use and starts heating the 12V DC heater. And that will stay on as long as you are running the engine.

Should you pull into a rest stop or make a pit stop, it will switch back to LP (almost always after an adequate safety delay in case you are at a fuel stop ... check your manual!) When you go back to full hook up, the unit senses 110V AC power and says "YEAAAAA!!!! Now I have 'juice' and it goes over to AC operation.

All very clever.

Much angst about running with LP on. Frankly, in a serious accident you got a HELL OF A LOT MORE TO WORRY ABOUT than the LP igniting. If you have every seen an RV wreck on the road or on video.... it is an ever loving mess. There's debris scattered for 1/2 mile all over. And, if there is a fire.... like from a tire blow out or similar issue..... maybe an engine oil leak/ hot exhaust thing..... you have but one choice. PUNCH OUT! ABANDON SHIP!!!!! EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. Get up wind. Get to as safe distance. Count heads and pups...... Call 911. RVs, as safe as they are will 'smoulder to the ground' in minutes in a rip-roaring blaze. Tires explode. Combustible stuff just burns in a hot flash. LP tanks will vent when the heat gets to them adding more fun to the scene. Just let her burn....maybe get a cell phone video...

So.... to put it more clearly..... You can leave the LP on (with a 'smart' fridge) because it doesn't run the fridge when the engine is running. Only when you stop and do not use genny or shore power...
Wow....Thanks much Old Crow.....thought that would be the case....our 2018 31k has a DOMETIC fridge with the AC/LP/AUTO switch.....I will run accordingly from now on.....happy trails
Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Site Team

We had RV fridges for 17 years before getting our Class A with a residential fridge and we ALWAYS ran our on Auto while traveling. Never any issues.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Many folks tend to get a bit carried away with the fire idea and don't stop to think why there can be a fire. The little flame in the frig is pretty well contained in full metal but the line going to that frig is one that is pretty easy to break in an accident. But turning the frig off is not going to stop a fire from tearing the line in two, is it?
Run with it on auto or in my case of the new frig, it is only AC or propane and I'm not listening to a genset tear itself apart for hundreds of miles! I've run the frig on propane since the sixties!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

On.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I always travel with the generator on. This keeps the coach cool and provides 110 to the frig. For me the little bit of fuel the Gen. takes is well worth the trade off.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Thanks so much
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We leave it on auto, which means it is running on propane unless plugged into 120 or while running the generator.
Our 2015 26HE only has Auto or Propane or Off options

No issues
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, let me see my choices:
Refrigerator off, hot beer, spoiled food.
Refrigerator on, cold beer, safe food, happy wife.
I think I know which one I would choose.....

Sometimes we run the generator while on the road, so we save propane. But, we only run the generator sometimes. Refrigerator on LP is not an unsafe choice. The wife switches it off as we enter a fuel station. A flag in her seat remined her to turn it back on as we leave.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Many folks tend to get a bit carried away with the fire idea and don't stop to think why there can be a fire. The little flame in the frig is pretty well contained in full metal but the line going to that frig is one that is pretty easy to break in an accident. But turning the frig off is not going to stop a fire from tearing the line in two, is it?
Run with it on auto or in my case of the new frig, it is only AC or propane and I'm not listening to a genset tear itself apart for hundreds of miles! I've run the frig on propane since the sixties!
The reason for fridge fires is not normally the propane line breaking in an accident. That could happen but it is not the main cause. If it was there wouldn’t be class action lawsuits against Norcold and dometic. The cause is the fridge overheating too many times and finally the refrigerant leaks out and all hell breaks loose. Look at the ARP website for a control that will prevent that from happening.
As far as using 12 volt to run the unit if you have a three way unit I wouldn’t do it. The temp control doesn’t work the same and this can cause problems. The pilot light and burner are well protected from drafts when driving. There should be no problem running on propane while traveling.
Again look at the ARP Fridge Defend website to set your mind at ease.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Norcold 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211 model, have had several recalls do to faulty sensors and overheating/catching on fire. There have been a number of reports of this. Some owners have gone to the extent of auto fire extinguisher in the compartment.

We travel with the 12 volts or Propane (Auto) function for the small Dometic Fridge in the VIA. The Sprinter has a 200 amp alternator, so there is plenty of 12 volt power. But some of the coaches with gas engines have much smaller alternators, and may do better with Propane. Just be sure to turn it off when filling with gasoline! (Or diesel, especially since many diesel pumps are right next to gasoline pumps.)
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

On Auto Sense is just fine but do remember to turn it off at fuel/propane stations.

If a wind gust blows out the flame while driving the gas system will try to reignite and if it does not sense a flame in its "safe window of time" it will fault and shut the gas off.

On Auto Sense if you start the generator it will automatically switch over for you and stay on electric until you shut the generator down.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

norcold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
On Auto Sense is just fine but do remember to turn it off at fuel/propane stations.

If a wind gust blows out the flame while driving the gas system will try to reignite and if it does not sense a flame in its "safe window of time" it will fault and shut the gas off.

On Auto Sense if you start the generator it will automatically switch over for you and stay on electric until you shut the generator down.
I have a 1201 and they have put a safety cutout switch from nor cold in the circuit if problem it shuts down fridge, also one time after a bad rain storm it tripped and shutdown fridge I reset it later and works fine
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If you shut it off, your food should be food for at least 8hrs. Depending on your travel time, it will be fine until your next stop...
Old 08-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by htbotdvr View Post
I have a 1201 and they have put a safety cutout switch from nor cold in the circuit if problem it shuts down fridge, also one time after a bad rain storm it tripped and shutdown fridge I reset it later and works fine

Yes and that is a different safety feature and a good one however I do not believe it senses when you've pulled up to a gas pump or propane station so you still need to manually turn off the refrigerator at those times.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Its a personal preference, but I have traveled with it on for 40 years.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Yes and that is a different safety feature and a good one however I do not believe it senses when you've pulled up to a gas pump or propane station so you still need to manually turn off the refrigerator at those times.
Good point. Never thought about that.....

Tags
fridge, propane, travel