Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

This is a follow-up to an earlier thread, but I thought I'd keep them separate.

As part of my solar install I needed to remove the screen on the exhaust vent to fish cables around. Rather then snipping only what I needed, I removed the entire screen and formed a new one from an extruded screen available at Home Depot (It's really not as dense as it looks here). Now I can remove the entire screen to fish cables, do upper service, etc. Note the screw I installed in the center. The rib support already had a hole, so I made use of it.

While in there I added 2ea. exhaust fans to the flue. Both are on thermal click switches. The one on top of the flame flue starts almost as soon as the fridge is "lit". The other cycles as needed. Installation is ridiculously simple. These fans are built to "twist" into the upper molding. I twisted both into the foam/ roof seam. It bites hard and doesn't move at all, so I doubt if I'll go back and do anything else.

Both of these fans are driven off of the little 15W solar panel that was abandoned when I put in the adult panels, and there is way more power than is needed to run these guys since they draw 110ma ea.; basically nothing. The small panel has a connector in the vent that I cut and reattached to the fans. The wires heading to the chassis Solar Breaker now have splices on them and are secured just in case I ever want to re-energize the panel into the system.

BTW- I'm a big fan of protecting cables on the roof from UV radiation. I also sheathed the RG-6 on the antenna with slitwrap. I did this to my last rig and after 18 years looked like it just came out of the box. Great stuff!

Yeah I know.. It needs a serious wash too

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This is a follow-up to an earlier thread, but I thought I'd keep them separate.

As part of my solar install I needed to remove the screen on the exhaust vent to fish cables around. Rather then snipping only what I needed, I removed the entire screen and formed a new one from an extruded screen available at Home Depot (It's really not as dense as it looks here). Now I can remove the entire screen to fish cables, do upper service, etc. Note the screw I installed in the center. The rib support already had a hole, so I made use of it.

While in there I added 2ea. exhaust fans to the flue. Both are on thermal click switches. The one on top of the flame flue starts almost as soon as the fridge is "lit". The other cycles as needed. Installation is ridiculously simple. These fans are built to "twist" into the upper molding. I twisted both into the foam/ roof seam. It bites hard and doesn't move at all, so I doubt if I'll go back and do anything else.

Both of these fans are driven off of the little 15W solar panel that was abandoned when I put in the adult panels, and there is way more power than is needed to run these guys since they draw 110ma ea.; basically nothing. The small panel has a connector in the vent that I cut and reattached to the fans. The wires heading to the chassis Solar Breaker now have splices on them and are secured just in case I ever want to re-energize the panel into the system.

BTW- I'm a big fan of protecting cables on the roof from UV radiation. I also sheathed the RG-6 on the antenna with slitwrap. I did this to my last rig and after 18 years looked like it just came out of the box. Great stuff!

Yeah I know.. It needs a serious wash too

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,
Where did you get the fans and the sheath? Great looking work you do BTW!
Frank
Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The screen is off the shelf in the roofing dept at Home Depot. The fans I bought at Camping World because they were on sale. Or you can get them HERE.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jeff on your screen will you put a cover on top to keep out water or are you leaving as is.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The standard-issue cover is on top of this one. I assume they think this will keep the wasps out, so I put it back.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. I did find the fans on the RVUpgrade site but not the Camping World site. I also was curious where you found the wiring sheath.
Frank
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yeah, O noticed they're not in the web catalog, but they are on the shelf. Besides, I believe RV Upgrades is a sponsor here.

The Slit Wrap I had in the garage. I usually keep all sizes up to about 1", and always seem to use it up. If you Goggle "Slit Wrap" or "Wire Loom" you'll run across several companies that sell it WAY cheaper than Pep Boys or OSH. You can buy a 100' roll cheaper than 12' in allot of cases.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Slit wrap can be ordered from allelectronics.com. Just ordered 100' of 1/2" and 100' of 5/8". Got tired of rat shack and auto zone, etc prices. Think it's called auto wiring cover or some such thing. The smaller was $12 for 100' and the larger was $18.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks folks for the info.
Frank