Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash ac on new winnebago

I have a new 26M winnebago intent,dash ac has never worked,had a recall to replace the evaparator,air is still not cold,got it home and stuck a thermometer in the vent,ran 40 minutes,coolest it got was 65 degrees,took it to my buddys shop and hooked up to his machine and drained it out,had 2.34 lbs in it,put it back in low side psi was 25,high side was 250,buddy thinks it needs an electric fan to lower the high side psi to be able to put more freon in it,also after the machine cuts off the numbers on the high and low should be around the same numbers,wasnt,high was 150 ,low side was 60,thinks it might be a blockage when that happens in the expansion valve,i dont know much on the ac,any thoughts from anybody? Thanks
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does the Intent have the F53 Ford motor?..............if so, the problem with you a/c and anything else that is located on the chassis should be by Ford. The coach would only address the motorhome per say
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This does not sound a like "buddy " call to me as there are lots of things that can keep it from working and freon is only the simple one. This is one that I take to the dealer, even if I have to pay.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Oh,Im taking it back,was just wondering if any experts had any thoughts on what it is.They had this thing for over a month fixing the ac ,not, and other things,Im tired of taking this up and down the road to the dealer,70 miles one way.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Depending on the ambient air temperature, those numbers don't seem too far off.
Did you check the operation of the blend door?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We have the same unit as you, and it’s brand new. The other day, it was 78 degrees outside and I check the air temperature coming out if the RV. After running for 15 minutes, it was only 70 degrees. I also tested my 1996 Bronco and our E500 Mercedes concurrently with the RV. The Merced’s air was 49, the Bronco 53 degrees, and our whole house air conditioner in our home’ air was 46. 70 is unacceptable. It’s going back to Ford.
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You know they have a recall on the evaporator,I took mine back to the dealer for them to replace mine,Picked it up and was driving home,air was not cool at all,got home checked the temp,it was blowing 65 degrees ,not acceptable.From what I’ve been told it’s an aftermarket ac that Winnebago puts in it when they build it.Took mine to my buddy’s shop and hooked up his ac machine on it,drained what was in it out,2.34 lbs,put it back in plus 1 more pound,was blowing 45 degrees then,took it out this weekend and it was still cold,called the service guy at dealer and was asking him if he knew how much they put in,said he didn’t know,so I don’t know if it leaked down after they done it or what,they had it over a month,everything is breaking on it,I’m seriously thinking about a lawyer,been ther 4 times to fix stuff,wish I never got it,ford truck service center I called said they don’t like working on them.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There is a specific amount to be added to every unit and it should be labeled, so putting the CORRECT amount in is a vital part as too little or too much will both not work right. That's where things get tough when the "buddy" may only have part of the correct idea.
The reason it takes so long to get RV repairs done is that fully trained and capable techs are in short supply! Good career path but then when we look at what dealers are willing to pay, the better techs move on. Too many headaches in the RV field.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

The plot thickens. I took the RV to a local shop guy in two who hooked it up to his AC machine. Interestingly, he drained it to see how much was in there, and it was almost topped off. He put the correct amount back in, and the dash temp was then running at 59 degrees-still a tad on the warm side. That was at idle. When he had me bring up the RPM the pressure would drop below 10# and the compressor would cycle off to protect itself. But then just as fast as it dropped, it would shoot up to 40# and the compressor would kick back on. This cycle continued non-stop as we watched (and I videoed) this event.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
This cycle continued non-stop as we watched (and I videoed) this event.
Hmmm, expansion valve issues?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Bingo...

Dry Creek was right on. Called Winnebago and Tommy looked up my vin and said that the evaporators were recalled, and that ours had not been replaced. Amazing, as we just purchased this unit new a month again, and asked the dealer if the air conditioner had been fixed, as we had heard about the recall. They assured us it was. Well, it wasn’t. Now, we have to try and find an authorized dealer to fix it as our dealer is 450 miles from where we live...last we heard, they are four months out in repairs locally. I’ll update this experience as it develops...
Old 08-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

It was me on the evaporator recall
Old 08-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

My mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROAD ST View Post
It was me on the evaporator recall
I wasn’t trying to attribute the evaporator issue to the wrong person, but I already knew about the recall. As I mentioned, I asked the dealer if that had done the recall and fixed the RV before we drove it off the lot.

Assuming it was done, I appreciated DryCreek”s comment that it was still an issue. It gave me a road map. But Broad Street, if it weren’t for people like you, I never would have even known about the recall, thank you!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Pressure's should equalize sounds like bad expansion valve. Do not put more freon in system then what is specified.
Quaterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, winnebago