Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Convection Microwave Replacement in '08 Journey 39Z

On Thanksgiving, our Sharp convection/microwave unit went out. It got heavy use by my wife so not a surprise, given the age. My question: any suggestions for a similar replacement that is lighter than 71 pounds? I may have the shop drop it some to make more accessible to my 5'3" wife.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi
Guess you will find a big choice of convection/microwave units at www.appliancesconnection.com

What we built in:
A Summit CMV24. A great microwave/convection oven made by Electrolux of Sweden in Europe. This runs on 240V/60Hz. It's 80lbs and you can have 10 years of warranty. We built it in counterhight (no more bending down or reaching up) and this is great, like at home! Price about $1050 (ok, that's expensive). It even have a "child security" (spring clip), so you can travel very well with it without a risk that the door will open.

Smeg has a similar product (also Made by Electrolux), we have it at home, heavier, better, more design and certainly more expensive ($1700).

Why 240V instead of 120V and will it run in a coach? You have much more power to heat and bake and if you are on the shoreline (guess you have 50Amp service on your coach) it works very well. Those 240V appliances run on two 120V sockets (there are several youtube movies how to do it) but it's better if you talk to a professional who will install it in 10 minutes, direct line, no socket needed and a fuse. You can even run them on 120V too but then it needs longer to bake something.

Ok, this is quite a luxury version but let me tell you: If you like to cook, you will never regret your investment. We both like to cook (and to eat) and that's why I installed those appliances also in our RV. Good appliances are like good tools for craftsmen who cannot work with "cheap things". Our Smeg at home runs since 1997 without any problem and the Summit in our RV since 4 years, every day when we are on the road, no problem.
CJ
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Did the microwave totally quit or just will not operate more than 59 seconds? I had an '04 Meridian that went to 59 seconds and the repair was a lot less than a new microwave.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

No, it was a complete shutdown during convection cooking. Some odd noise rang out prior, never a good sign. Tried everything. Unfortunately, was not aware such units were so expensive.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Original is easiest

Had mine die last year. 07 Journey 36G with Sharp. Had already purchased the one we 'liked' and took it back after evaluating the mounting systems of a different model.
Check out how it mounts. Foot long + screws go from bottom front to top back. To change the mounting and be as secure will be quite a task.
The original is still available, mounts identically, can be replaced by one person, costs about $500 and weighs about 58#. We found that a new one works like new as well.
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Where did you find the Sharp unit?
Old 12-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Sharp Model R1874T
Lowes On Line store Pickup
$521 July 2019
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mine is model R-1880L but surely the models are similar.
Going to Lowes tomorrow. Appreciate your input.

Tags
ace, journey, replace, replacement