Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Catalytic Heater Wave 6 Install

I have a Olympian Catalytic heater which I used in my 06 Sightseer until I traded for this 32H 2009 Adventurer. Just wondering the best way to hook up the propane hose. I could put a tee where the propane comes in to the oven and run a line out thru the lower drawer or?? Has anyone installed one some other way? Really need this or something like it when dry camping. Thanks for info.
Kjet1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Kjet,
It's this unit more efficient than the installed unit or is it better because of no fan
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My catalytic heater is hard-plumbed just like any other permanent gas appliance.

The tee can be anyplace where there's already a joint, but do keep in mind that if it's a permanent connection, code doesn't permit the use of rubber or "stationary" flex-type hoses.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the heater portable, you could install a quick-connect of some kind at the joint for use with your portable rubber hoses.

In either case, remember to remove the heater's regulator since the interior RV pressure is already the correct pressure for the heater to operate.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Wave 6

Dengraham, my installed furnace works great, but don't like to use when dry camping. I don't have solar yet, so it will draw down the batteries to fast. The Wave 6 does not use any power and it heats the RV pretty good.
I do want it to be portable, so I can move it around. I don't think this model has a regulator to remove, it worked ok in the other RV.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Since you used it in the other RV I presume that one was plumbed for it- what kind of connection did/does it have?

Is it "big" like on a bulk tank hookup, or "small" like on a disposable cylinder?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my last RV (a Safari) I installed a turn off valve and a quick connect under the refrigerator. I used a rubber propane hose and could move the Olympic toward the bedroom or living area as desired. That RV had a propane furnace under the refrigerator so modification was minimal. I'll be looking at doing something similar for this RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like the difficulty is just in finding the most convenient place in the moho to tee off of....I hope somebody with one like yours posts with ideas.

I totally understand why you like the cat heater, especially for boondocking. Mine is the only heat I have, and I wouldn't trade it. That no-electric thing is a big bonus, not to mention the quiet one enjoys without that noisy furnace fan!

Good luck with the project
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thats the main problem, where to tee off. To come off the oven I will need to pull the oven out. I would like to put in a stove top anyway. Still looking at ways to do this...........
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

What's your furnace setup? Those are often accessible from the front face for servicing- if it's near/under the fridge the valve connection would probably be on that side...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The furnace is in the very rear of the coach. This model has the basement air, which is working right now to heat the coach up. It has been a little cool here in Las Vegas. So it looks like coming off the oven is going to be the way to hook up a hose which could go to a quick disconnect. Now I need to figure how to remove the oven.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

You should be able to take out the drawer under the oven to access the gas line.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Good idea to install a CO alarm at the same time - although they should be mandatory whether or not a ductless propane heater is installed because there are other sources of CO anyway.

Ours has the bayonet outlet mounted through the kitchen cabinet frame next to the drawers and the hose is long enough to pace it in the living area in the day and the bathroom/bedroom area at night.
3 CO alarms installed, one in each room - and three smoke alarms as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You should be able to take out the drawer under the oven to access the gas line.
This post reminded me that code for RV propane installations requires that all joints must be "accessible for inspection". Under-the-stove makes sense, and it seems to me that since you've multiple gas appliances there must be such points elsewhere in the rig.

Any chance something's visible inside any of the underside compartments? You might be able to come up through the floor in some convenient location!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The heater itself has a small type connection, small than a disposable cylinder. I have the hose which would run from the heater to a quick disconnect or some kinda bayonet fitting, or right to the tee. I did remove the drawer under the oven, and can see the gas hose, but can't reach it. Don't want to drill up from under the coach, no real good place to do that. I asked the local dealer about how to removing the oven, they could do it for me, right, thats not going to happen. So at this point, I need to pull the oven, hook up a tee and run a hose to the front of the cabinet. Need to look in to a quick disconnect fitting of some type.

Tags
heater, install