Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air Problem

It's not cooling and we've had two guys look at it and we're told by both that there's nothing they can do because it's a sealed system and that our only option is to replace it. HVAC guy said there's no freon in it. 2010 Itasca Suncruiser. We are not at all mechanical and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. If we do have to replace, any idea of cost?
Essgee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

A good AC guy can braze in a charge port and charge the unit. I had it done to one of mine. Also you cannot tell how much freon is in it without gauge. I don't think
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to be so ignorant, but what is braze?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Essgee1952-

I have read a number of threads on the Winnebago basement air systems. The standard advice is to call a home air conditioner repairman- not an RV air conditioner repairman. Apparently, inside they are built like residential air conditioners, not RV air conditioners.

There are number of Web pages and documents available on how to troubleshoot and repair these units, but it sounds as if you'd be better off calling a repairman than diagnosing and fixing yourselves. If you watch the repairman, you might be able to take care of it yourselves next time!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Essgee1952, brazing is the joining of metal using a rod or wire of a third, dissimilar metal. Usually, HVAC systems are copper alloy piping joined by silver solder.

Ranger Smith is correct, just about any HVAC guy can cut and braze in a charge port.

We gave up listening to the humada humada from the usual RV repair suspects and have our basement air serviced by the same folks who service our Trane system at home. Access may be a challenge. I just have the body panel unfastened and hinged up when they arrive. (The first time I did not. Shoulda been there, that visit was a hoot!)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Brazing is like soldering, but the materials are stronger. Essentially, its melting a brass wire with a torch to join copper tubing and brass fittings.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

https://www.abc-companies.com/pages/rv_service_repair

These folks dropped our basement air down and repaired it right in place beneath the RV. This one is just a few miles from us, but they have shops all over the US.

https://www.abc-companies.com/pages/locations

They were reasonably priced as well.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't get anyone to work on mine either ....got sick of it blowing hot air. I bought a roof unit and put it in place of one of the vents. Purchased the proper size wire and fished that up from the basement air compartment through the duct system into the ceiling. While I was at it I ran 2 circuits to add an additional unit in the bedroom in the future. I disconnected the basement unit and connected the wiring together so am using the factory wiring/breakers as my power supply to the roof air. You do have to "tunnel" from the duct over to the removed vent to run the wire. The install is clean, reliable and was very easy to do. The hardest thing was getting the roof unit up on the roof but with the help of a buddy it wasn't too bad either.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
have you changed the air filter under the bed? at least that's where our filter was.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mark - While the advice to find a residential AC repair guy seems logical, around here getting them to even consider it is another thing. I have replaced all of the capacitors; they are all available thru Amazon: 2 hard start capacitors, 1 Oval shaped, and 2 run capacitors (the set of 5 costs about $125). That seems to have solved some of the problems so I'm still looking for someone with experience to work on it. I'm getting very cold air from unit 1, and then when unit 2 kicks in, it blows cold as well, but only for a while.
I suspect maybe the fan or compressor needs some attention. FWIW, the going rate is $110/HR and $130 for on-site service call.

Cooperhawk - I contacted ABC in Grand Prairie, TX. They did not give me a warm feeling that they could actually repair the unit when the service guy asked me if the basement unit is on the roof. When I explained where it is located, he said they could certainly take a look at it but I would have to order parts. I'll keep looking. Thanks anyway for the lead.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

ErnieD

I had so many problems with basement a/c. The only place on the east coast I found that could repair them was CTC Murrels Inlet, SC.Have helped many with this problem. Recommend calling them 853-353-0344 and getting their help to locate a repair facility near you.
Warning - if you want to waste your money get a local Residental a/c company or Camping World.
There was a reason Winnebago stopped using them.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essgee1952 View Post
It's not cooling and we've had two guys look at it and we're told by both that there's nothing they can do because it's a sealed system and that our only option is to replace it. HVAC guy said there's no freon in it. 2010 Itasca Suncruiser. We are not at all mechanical and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. If we do have to replace, any idea of cost?

Lets see what I can do.

1/ Is the compressor operating? You can see it 'kick' in when looking at your One Place Monitoring panel. If the current does not jump to about 23A the start capacitor need replacing. Also, make certain the circuit breaker is not tripped in your coach service panel.

2/ If the pump is running do you see a frost or humidity buildup on the back of the coach by the ladder? If you do the plenum has separated going to the roof vent system. A real pain to fix and is a common problem.

3/ The coils are dirty and plugged. Pull the filter off and look down into the 'A' frame. Coil cleaners are available to clean this with. If the outside coil is plugged the unit must be pulled to get to it.

Let us know what you find.
Rick
Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Rick, for the suggestions. We have checked most of those items plus the circuit breakers and replacing the filter, which was pretty bad. We have had issues with the basement air literally since the day we bought the coach two years ago and have an appointment with an "authorized service center" next week for a diagnosis. I posted this before a planned short getaway to middle Georgia, where the daily temps were in the mid to upper 90's and the roof air did a fabulous job of keeping us comfortable. Almost tempting to give up on the basement altogether, but we'll see what the diagnosis is before deciding on next steps.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We just had our 15 year old slide toppers replaced, the furnace serviced (remove soot, adjust flame) ditto for fridge, had the dash air fixed and they told us nothing could be done on basement air and to call a residential a/c service. Work done at Camping World in Roseville. There are no RV service centers anywhere near us. Our residential a/c doesn't get bounced along the highway, but that said, it blows extremely cold air after 30 years. It's a Trane. Crossing fingers basement air lasts as long. I'd be concerned if they asked if it's on the roof. But thanks for the chuckle.
luckydog08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If it’s a Coleman-Mach, a residential shop can fix it. But cost may dictate replacement.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Does anybody know of an "Authorized Service Center" in North or Central Texas???
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We were in Delaware when issues arose with our Basement Air.

I called David Polanco of Mobile Air Heating and AC 302 500 0867.

Not an RV guy, residential. When he saw what it was, he said "oh that is a cassette unit what they use in hotels. I can fix that."

My issue was that the bearings had run dry and seized on one of the motors.

I had read previously from a poster named Duner (or close) about the bearing and where to get replacements and how to get sealed ones which did not need periodic maintenance. I had those in reserve. So David helped me get it out and those installed and been running great since then...... Not quite a year.

Alex
2004 Itasca Meridian 36
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
We were in Delaware when issues arose with our Basement Air.

I called David Polanco of Mobile Air Heating and AC 302 500 0867.

Not an RV guy, residential. When he saw what it was, he said "oh that is a cassette unit what they use in hotels. I can fix that."

My issue was that the bearings had run dry and seized on one of the motors.

I had read previously from a poster named Duner (or close) about the bearing and where to get replacements and how to get sealed ones which did not need periodic maintenance. I had those in reserve. So David helped me get it out and those installed and been running great since then...... Not quite a year.

Alex
2004 Itasca Meridian 36
I think most residential repairman will work on it, if it is out of the rv so they can see what it is. If they are not familiar with it they say RV? No I can’t fix that.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Poor system

Truck refrigeration dealer worked on mine. $1800 to pull out, rebalance and test for leaks. They had conversations with techs at coleman. Basically they are undersized. #2 compressor only kicks in if there is a 10 degree differential. All basic components. Labor cost to figure it out is what killed me. Could have bought a new one for $2400. My friend had his done by that company in Murrels Inlet when he was vacationing in Myrtle Beach with better sucess because they are so familiar with these pieces of junk.
boatdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdesigner View Post
Truck refrigeration dealer worked on mine. $1800 to pull out, rebalance and test for leaks. They had conversations with techs at coleman. Basically they are undersized. #2 compressor only kicks in if there is a 10 degree differential. All basic components. Labor cost to figure it out is what killed me. Could have bought a new one for $2400. My friend had his done by that company in Murrels Inlet when he was vacationing in Myrtle Beach with better sucess because they are so familiar with these pieces of junk.
The very reason I put a roof a/c on mine .....total cost less than $900 and have never looked back.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote