Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Basement Air--For those that have it--READ!

Abbreviated version: Nr 1 compressor died; wired around it so that #2 works. Called RVP Tech, spent about 1 1/2 hrs on phn (he was VERY patient) with an electrician on my end. RVP Tech agreed #1 compressor is shot (too many trouble-shooting details to go into here). It's 91* outside (Marion, NC) and 89* inside, Humidity about 95%. Lovely.

Again today (I'm @ Tom Johnson Cmpg Ctr) I called RVP to inquire about availability of entire new unit, rather than R&R #1 cmprsr, upgrade blower cage & R&R bearings to sealed. The RVP Tech said they stopped making the basement air units (Model 6535xxxx) Jan 2010, 'cause Winnie went to roof airs in 2011. NO basement units are available from RVP. And RVP compressors are on back order til August 20 (maybe). IMHO that rules out buying any Winnie w/basement air.

If anyone knows where/how to buy a new (even reconditioned) unit, pls advise soonest. It's HOT! The ice in my Martini melted in record time.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Unfortunate but understandable. If the demand for the basement units is/has dried up, would expect they will stop making them. Do hope they will continue to make parts for repairs, assuming they can be repaired.

There are enough Winnebago's on the road with basement AC/heat pumps that I would think RVP might offer remanufactured/refurbished units.

I guess another option for those of us who want to keep our Bago's is to put 2 roof airs up there. My coach has 3 roof vents with fantastic fans, so I could go with 2 roof top units and still keep one vent. However, there would be no way to duct those units to the existing ducting in the ceiling. You could then jettison the basement unit and have a big storage compartment .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

At GNR this year I was told by a very reliable source there are 2 reasons Winnie stopped using the basement air. The Basement air capacity is not large enough for the big coaches. The other is that RVP is now the only source for the basement air and if something would happen with availabilty from them they would have no where else to go for the product. The ducted roof heat pumps do seem as quiet as the basement air. I was surprised. The roof is now much thicker for the new duct work. I really like my basement air and also hope they will at least continue to make parts for it.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer that has the basement air and we would love to go back to on the roof. We have had the unit rebuilt once and worked on several times. It has caught fire and luckly that was when the repair person was looking at it. We love our coach but if there was an easy way to change over we would!
realRVvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm real sorry to be hearing this. Especially owning a 2008 Winnebago with basement air.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

residential air/heatpump

The Winnebago website shows pictures of the additional tanks for diesel emissions and has this statement:

Why change? The advent of new diesel emission standards requires chassis components to be placed in the basement space previously used for our TrueAir compressor package and the future availability of that cooling unit package is in question due to new refrigerant regulations that require larger re-designed compressors (see chassis photo below). Also, the addition of longer and wider floorplans requires increased capacity to adequately cool the coach in high temperature weather conditions.

So sounds like because of the migration to a new refrigerent to replace R-22 after 2010, air conditioner/heatpump compressors will have to get bigger, split in half and move to the roof. My HVAC service man said new home air conditioner compressors have to get bigger for the same reason although R-22 will be available to service all of the airconditioners that exist today.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

One of the original reasons we bought our Ultimate was the basement air AND the fact that the roof line looked streamlined without the roof airs. I've always liked that look. Travelling on the road, you could always tell a Winnebago was coming because the only thing sticking up on the roof was the satellite antenna.

After we got the Ultimate, I always worried about the a/c failing. Even with 2 pumps, it is a single point of failure for cooling. And there is no alternative.

Now that we've become orphaned a/c users, I'm watching these threads where folks are putting in unducted roof airs. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to add one now, as a back up and as a support cooler for days like those one has in South Carolina in the summer time when you really need another pump dehumidifying and cooling.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

There isn't anything special about these compressors. Any competent residential ac firm should be able to locate a replacement and install. Heck, now would be a good time to install a 13,500 compressor.

I see on RVP's web site they advertise the Park-Pak unit, for Park Models. Look an awful lot like our basement air unit.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua40j View Post
One of the original reasons we bought our Ultimate was the basement air AND the fact that the roof line looked streamlined without the roof airs. I've always liked that look. Travelling on the road, you could always tell a Winnebago was coming because the only thing sticking up on the roof was the satellite antenna.

After we got the Ultimate, I always worried about the a/c failing. Even with 2 pumps, it is a single point of failure for cooling. And there is no alternative.

Now that we've become orphaned a/c users, I'm watching these threads where folks are putting in unducted roof airs. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to add one now, as a back up and as a support cooler for days like those one has in South Carolina in the summer time when you really need another pump dehumidifying and cooling.
After reading John Canfield's (and others) posts about adding a roof air unit I have been thinking the same thing. Add a 13,500 BTU unit now as a back up. My coach is 8 years old and I'd hate to be on a trip with a DW with medical problems and two dogs and no AC . Also, since your basement units are 24,000 BTU, would think two 13,500 would do a stellar job keeping the coach cool. Since I had roof AC's in my 1997 Adventurer connected to separate wall T-stats, would think the newer roof AC's could also be wired to a T-stat.

I do love that heat pump in the cooler weather so would really miss that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Maybe someone will come out with roof mounted heat pumps where two would replace the single under floor model that we currently have and provide both heat and air conditioning.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
I helped | retired moderator

Dometic makes 13.5K and 15K AC/Heat pumps. They're quite common.

I have 2@15K and they work quite well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

OK, let's add another consideration to this discussion. If, for example, your basement AC died and you elected to replace it with two roof AC's, weight on the roof would be a concern.

My contact at Winnebago tells me the roofs are designed to support a 225 pound person plus 100 lbs while the coach is stationary. The average 13,500 BTU roof unit weighs 90 lbs. If you put two up there, you are at 180 lbs. Technically, you may be exceeding the weight limitations of the roof, especially when us fat guys need to walk up there .

My 1997 Adventurer had two roof airs but I don't know if it had more reinforcement in the roof than the later coaches with basement air.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Dometic makes 13.5K and 15K AC/Heat pumps. They're quite common.

I have 2@15K and they work quite well.
OK, so they are true heat pumps and not an AC with a 'heat strip"?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
I helped | retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
OK, so they are true heat pumps and not an AC with a 'heat strip"?
True heat pumps. They have reversing valves.

No heat strip.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
JC2
Winnie-Wise

If we're talking about roof units, our MH has a 13500 BTU rear ac/heatpump and the front unit was replaced with a 15000 BTU ac/heatpump by Coleman. I am impressed with the ac's cooling and the heatpumps heating capabilities. My heatpumps work very well down to the 30-40 degrees.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

smlranger- don't believe that they mean only the 225 pounds or what ever for the whole roof but just within a certain given area. Dancicampers- agree with you that any truly compent AC service company could replace the compressors or most any other part also however might be limited on upgrade in capacity
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Personally I think everyone is over reacting to these being "orphaned". As DancingCampers said, they use residential pieces and any really good HVAC sheet metal guy could create the entire unit. I'd much rather have it down low and out of the way of my solar.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have a roof air with a true heat pump on my Cambria. It works just fine in both modes. However it is a lot noisier than the basement A/C I had in my "A's".
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

This was from the RVP web site, maker of our basement units:

Refrigerant Changes Coming In 2010

Wednesday, Dec 16th, 2009
Refrigerant Changes Coming In 2010

Due to regulation changes by the E.P.A, Air conditioners can no longer be manufactured with R-22 as of January 1, 2010. The Coleman Mach air conditioners will be manufactured with R-410A as of January 2010. Replacement parts will still be available for the systems already manufactured with R-22 for a limited time.

It won't be long before we will not be able to get parts for our basement units. I believe the fact that these units are no longer made and unable to get parts for will really make our Winne units with basement air take a dive in resale value. Would you buy a Motorhome that the AC cannot be repaired and cannot get parts for? I found one new basement air unit for sale at a local Marine dealer but the model was a 6536 not a 6535. Don't know if it would work. It was listed at 27000 btu's where the 6535 is 24000 btu's. Cost: $1998.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Here's the email I received from RVP Coleman Mach:

Re: RV Basement Air (Winnebago)

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:40 PM

"Eric Botts" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
[.....Thudman....]

We do have the parts to repair these units, but we currently are not manufacturing anything to replace them. If you absolutely need to replace the unit, you might check to see if Winnebago has anything left to replace it with.

Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:19 PM
To: RVP Support
Subject: RV Basement Air (Winnebago)

I have a Basement Air unit Model 6535A871 installed in my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer RV. Please confirm that RVP Coleman Mach is no longer manufacturing these units, and that none are available for purchase. If possible, please name an alternate source for purchase. Also I'm interested in a source of re-manufactured or overhauled units.

Does RVP intend to continue to manufacture parts to support these units?

Thanks.
[....Thudman....]
**********************End of Email************************

BTW, I called Winnie to see if they had any units......they said No & to call RVP. Eff Jan 2010 Winnie began installing P/N 46515-811 Basement Air units in 2010 Winnies. Those units have R-410 (vs R-22), and will substitute for a model 6535.......if you can find one.

Took my rig to Tom Johnson CC for work on A/C. They tried contact w/local A/C person but no return call. Left after two days, no action. Parts (compressor) back ordered, so must wait a few weeks. Am seriously considering a roof air to supplement basement unit. No feedback yet from TJCC on cost. The other alternative is replace my rig.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote