Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
04 Journey since 09-17

Unhappy Basement air compressor no go

Evening before leaving turning AC on to cool coach, fan comes on and then as compressor tries to work the generator revs to full amp draw and then back to just fan for 30 seconds or so. Hoping this points more to a relatively cheap electrical part as opposed to a unit replacement of the basement heat pump.
Any similar experiences? I will try to remember to post my result as I seek put a service center appointment tomorrow.

Travel Dogs 2
RVMJR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm having a similar problem with compressor #2. I replaced both the start and run capacitors but it still doesn't work. I've had other things to deal with and haven't gotten back to troubleshooting. I'll be interested in what you find out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
04 Journey since 09-17

Bob, my AC startup was fixed with replacing the hard start kit which includes a start capacitor and a PTCR start device. Coleman Mach 8333A9021 or 8335-9021 or 9333-9021. I did not do the work so that is all I know.
Since my basement air in 90 degree weather is not cold (cool best describes) how would I easily know the #2 compressor is working?

Travel Dogs 2
Old 05-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Watch the current draw on the one place panel. You may have use a 30 Amp source. to enable the reading.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have the A/C off, then turn on the A/C and set the thermostat at least 4-5 degrees below the temp inside the RV. Compressor #1 should come on and your amp draw should settle down at about 13-16amps. After an additional 30 seconds to a minute, maybe a little more, compressor #2 should come on and settle down with a total amp draw in the low 20's.

The amp draw noted above is assuming you don't have other elect devices on, microwave, coffee pot, etc.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
04 Journey since 09-17

I am going to track amp draw this weekend and try to convince myself. Now your Journey May well have the same basement unit as mine. Can your unit maintain say 82 when the coach is in mostly sun on a 90 degree day?

Travel Dogs 2
Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMJR52 View Post
I am going to track amp draw this weekend and try to convince myself. Now your Journey May well have the same basement unit as mine. Can your unit maintain say 82 when the coach is in mostly sun on a 90 degree day?
It may depend on your location and humidity level but, here in northern CA, I'd say yes to the 82 degrees on a 90 degree day.

It's important to not build up too big a heat load for your A/C to overcome. That means, keeping it set at a reasonable temperature and not waiting until you're uncomfortable before turning it on. Although I have yet to try it, running it off your generator while driving will help once you get to the campground.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMJR52 View Post
Yes. We have been parked for the last 2 weeks in our daughters back yard in Dallas. Many of the days have been the upper 80's to about 90* in the afternoon.. Full sun until about 5:30pm. We keep it about 80-81 inside and the compressor is not running all the time. If the outside temps were to go up into the mid to upper 90's we would raise the inside temps to about 82-83 since the inside air would be drier.

It is good to note that the front window is facing east, the door, patio awning and the bedroom window awning are all extended to provide shade. If the front window was facing SW so the front of the rig had the full sun hitting the windshield and front side windows I'm not sure how well the A/C would keep the living area cool. Lot of vents up here so it may do quite well.

We are leaving Sunday, heading to cooler climates. We bought this rig last year and this is our first summer in the rig.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Yes. We have been parked for the last 2 weeks in our daughters back yard in Dallas. Many of the days have been the upper 80's to about 90* in the afternoon.. Full sun until about 5:30pm. We keep it about 80-81 inside and the compressor is not running all the time. If the outside temps were to go up into the mid to upper 90's we would raise the inside temps to about 82-83 since the inside air would be drier.

It is good to note that the front window is facing east, the door, patio awning and the bedroom window awning are all extended to provide shade. If the front window was facing SW so the front of the rig had the full sun hitting the windshield and front side windows I'm not sure how well the A/C would keep the living area cool. Lot of vents up here so it may do quite well.

We are leaving Sunday, heading to cooler climates. We bought this rig last year and this is our first summer in the rig.
A few more details about being in 90 +degrees with basement air conditioning.
As detailed in the quote above we are in Dallas in full sun.

Today is 90* outside at 2pm and will be getting warmer. DW & DD (Dear Daughter) are inside the RV.

I came in from outside and saw that thermostat was at 82* and the temp display on the thermostat was 82. At that time only compressor #1 was on. The Amp display was going between 15 & 16 amps.

A thermometer midway up the kitchen living area showed 83*. After about 10 more minutes it climbed to 84*. We were feeling a little warm.

Looking at the thermostat, the temp display had climbed to 83 (was 82). Thermostat temp setting was still 82*.

The total amp draw was still at 15-16 amps, showing that only compressor #1 was on.

I bumped the thermostat down to 79* forcing the thermostat to turn on compressor #2 on. Now the total amp draw is about 25amps.

After about 10-15 minutes with both compressor #1 & #2 on the living area temp is down to 83*. I'm sure if I kept the thermostat at 79* we could get the living area temp down to 80* or perhaps lower. Note, that I have quite a few details in the quote above about the position of the RV to the sun.

Bottom line: If you are in hot sunny weather be sure to monitor your amp draw on the power monitor panel. If you feel the A/C is not cooling well enough, be sure both compressors are running.

I'm sure that had I just left the thermostat at the original setting, eventually it would turn on compressor #2 on. I just don't know how warm the RV would have to get before the thermostat will turn on compressor #2. With the outside temps and bright sun, I am not about to test when the thermostat would turn on compressor #2.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

BTW, we are on 30amp service running both compressors. Also we are using a 50 foot 30amp RV extension cord along with our RV's standard 25-30 foot 50amp power cord.

I bring this up because of all the posts I have seen in the past about people not being able to run both compressors on 30amp service.

There have been some very emphatic statements from some who feel they are experts, that you can't run both compressors in a Journey or Adventurer with basement air on 30amp service. Granted I can't run anything else, such as microwave, water heater on elect, etc, but at least we are comfortable.

I just remembered I have the gas/elect fridge on AC and the rig is pulling 26amps. Just switched the fridge to propane and we are now down to 22 amps. That is a little better, especially with the extension cord.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

OK, living area is now down to 81*, about 25 minutes after forcing the thermostat to turn on both compressors. We were at 84*.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

A Winnebago Dealer should know to sell the compressor starting capacitors as a set with the hard start devices. If you replace one without the other too many times you'll end up doing it again in short time. The last time I replaced mine I installed an Autoformer to eliminate the root cause of the starter capacitors failing which is low voltage at campgrounds. Its been almost ten years now without any more motor start capacitor failures.

Note that most low voltage protection devices built into Surge Protection devices only shut you down in extreme low voltage situations where there would be immediate damage but will allow you to continue running in less severe situations that will still cause accumulative damage to your electrical system. The only real solution is to get a Automatic Voltage Correction Transformer to bring voltage back up to safe levels to prevent equipment losses.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Helps to keep on-going measurements ets

There’s an expression I live by (engineer) ... ‘You can’t manage what you don’t measure’. My DW will tell you I might take it a bit too far. But after our first Class A MH 5 yrs ago, I started logging basement cold air return/ output, refrig / freezer temps, current, voltages... during start- up & every hour for first 6 hrs or so and every morning and evening before bed along with outside temps, whether there was direct Sun on refrig side. At home, we all pretty much take these for granite, but as most of us have experienced... not so much in the world of RVing! Just the refrig temps 3 times saw much slower initial cool down times (1 was mud dobber mud blocking pilot air, 2) was very low RV Park voltage, 3) was bad heating element .

On our basement air... (and refrig) I use a wireless temperature display that supports 8 wireless sensors you can place anywhere.

In our case, in basement air cold air return, (where the filter is) and right in one of the outflow ducts, one outside temp (plus on in refrig, and one each in the split freeze compartments. Oh, yes, a voltage meter that you plug in and leave in a duplex 120 outlet and the amp reading from the panel and the voltages on the panel of chassis and house batteries. By logging these temps initially at trip/ RV Park start ups I quickly learned how things where suppose to cool down/ warm up AND the factors that changed the normal temps like outside temps, RV Park low voltage . After a while just looking at the log instantly indicates all is OK or not. Countless times refrig was not where it should have been and traced down to door not actually latched. For basement air... it all about looking at the delta between air return and air output temps (and as the other posts point out, amp reading (one or two compressors running. Total cost of monitoring abt $60... piece of mind and better understand of how things work... priceless. I also purchased a tiny $14 ‘water meter’ that just screws onto your fill hose so you know how much water you use (in City Water position on RV) or if you want 10 gal in your fresh water tank.., it can help to not put any more than you want and/or calibrate the questionable water level readings on the RV control panel.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
04 Journey since 09-17

My A/C test trip

So we went on a 3 night trip this past weekend. Hard Labor Creek State Park has huge CCC trees everywhere but outside temp mid afternoon was still 94 or so. Followed best hot weather practice using generator to power AC on the supposed 2 hour drive - we sat on I85 for an extra 2 hours as a grass fire was being extinguished. And tested as we sat that if I cranked Tstat down 5 degrees the amp draw went from 16 to 22. Hooked up at park 50 amp and all remained comfortable. I think my mind is at ease that unit is as good as can be. BTW on park hookup 50 amp my energy system does not show any numbers just a vertical bar.
Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.

Travel Dogs 2
Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Glad it is working. Many thanks for coming back and updating about how things worked out. It is always very helpful to hear back about the final resolution.

Tags
compressor