Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

basement a/c

can anyone tell me if the basement ac in my 2004 adventurer has a built in delay when the power stops and restarts?
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can test that with the thermostat. Turn the system off and after 15 seconds or so turn it back on. You should hear the fan start up and then after a programmed time by the equipment Mfg the compressor should turn on,

Why do you ask?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am going to install a progressive surge protector and they ask about a built in delay on the ac.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ours does

For sure. Love the basement A/C. If we turn it off after running and then turn it right back on, there definitely is a time delay that it "waits" until re-starting.
Hope this helps...
John
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It also starts each compressor one at a time. Unfortunately ours quit working last week and we were to leave Sunday on a weeks rally. I can hear the compressors kicking in but the circulation fan does not start up resulting in the compressors just shutting down. Right now it is at ABC Bus in Faribault, Mn. hoping they may have it fixed by the week end.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
can anyone tell me if the basement ac in my 2004 adventurer has a built in delay when the power stops and restarts?

Short answer: YES. This is a safety feature. The pressures in the unit need to bleed down before the compressor starts up after a power loss. This can be up to 5 minutes.

Side note. Look into the space behind the filter with a flashlight. Examine the coil for dirt or clogging. Spray cleaners are available to refresh the coil. You will have better cooling/heating if this is done.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
I am going to install a progressive surge protector and they ask about a built in delay on the ac.
I moved my Progressive surge protector from my TT to my 2002 35U with basement air and haven't had any issues. What are you concerned about?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My hat is off to ABC Bus in Faribault, Mn. When they learned that we had paid for a week long rally starting on Sunday they got right on our rig and got it working. We will need to return to them when we get home as they have parts on order, but it will work for the time being. Ideally they would have liked to have kept it until the parts came in, but they worked it out for us and we appreciate it.

I also learned that they replace quite a few of these basement units with a newer model when needed. It cost about $3000.00 installed but that is for a two and half ton unit.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

$3k sounds expensive but I don't think it's too bad considering how much you might spend on repairs on an old unit.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Most roof airs are one ton so it replaces more than two of them. Then keep in mind that it also a heat pump.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Progressive may have been asking about an AC delay because when a Progressive surge protector loses power or when you first plug it in it has a somewhat lengthy delay before it starts supplying power. IIRC it is something in the neighborhood of 170 seconds while it analyzes the incoming power and allows it to come through to the coach.

Bill
joanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Typically AC's have a delay. If the power fluctuates (brown-out) or if you turn it off and then on immediately the compressor will not come back on until after a short delay.

With he Progressive Surge Protector the delay will be longer than the delay on the AC so when the PI restores power the AC will kick on within a few seconds and this is okay as the AC has already cycled.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have a basement a.c. on our 2005 journey. It's good to hear that there are options to replace it when the time comes. I have noticed the delay too when starting up. We have a progressive ems too
MaryandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Short answer: YES. This is a safety feature. The pressures in the unit need to bleed down before the compressor starts up after a power loss. This can be up to 5 minutes.

Side note. Look into the space behind the filter with a flashlight. Examine the coil for dirt or clogging. Spray cleaners are available to refresh the coil. You will have better cooling/heating if this is done.
Do you mean the filter under the bed? Or is there another one that I don’t know about?
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Rick brought up a good point on the coil. My 2008 never had a cleaning until about 2 years or so ago and I had a repair facility do it. They spray cleaned the coils. On my '08 the filter was in the closet. I pulled a board and and then the fiberglass filter and was able to look down into the coil area but I never saw the dirt/dust in the coils. After cleaning there was a little difference. The fiberglass filters I replaced monthly or sooner if they needed it,
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Rick brought up a good point on the coil. My 2008 never had a cleaning until about 2 years or so ago and I had a repair facility do it. They spray cleaned the coils. On my '08 the filter was in the closet. I pulled a board and and then the fiberglass filter and was able to look down into the coil area but I never saw the dirt/dust in the coils. After cleaning there was a little difference. The fiberglass filters I replaced monthly or sooner if they needed it,
Hi Wayne, I have asthma so I use Filtrete brand filters. I know the owners manual says not to use them, but I have since 2013 with no down-side, the up-side is cleaner air and much less dust in the MH. I do change the filter every 2--3 weeks when living in the MH and require conditioned air 24/7.The first Filtrete filter I installed got quite dirty in one week, exposing the poor efficiency of the green see-through filters.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Our whole house filter is in a spot under our washer dryer cabinet. I inspect our filter before every trip to see if it needs replacing. We also had our a.c. unit checked out a month ago. There are many spots on this a c unit that are sealed. I will look behind our filter but I'm pretty sure there isn't a coil that I could do anything with...
MaryandPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The reason the manual states not to use the Filtrete is because the opening is not big enough for the additional blockage the filter creates. My BIL is in the AC business and says if you want to use the Filtrete filters the return air opening has to be increased to maintain the air flow required.

Yep, i know. everyone has been using them for years so don't know if it really holds true or not.

Hey, what do I know. Millions of people must be right.
Now I have 9 or10 five or six inch output vents on the driver side all spaced in a row. On the passenger side, equal with the output vents are the return vents. They have the sponge type of filter. Pull the vent down, remove the filter and clean it under the faucet. Do each one Takes only a few minutes.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If you want to extend the life of your Basement Air the biggest bang for the buck will be installing a AutoFormer type transformer to boost low voltage during brown outs to reduce stress on the hard starts, compressors and blower motors.

Low voltage in campgrounds is the leading cause of Air Conditioning failures and most surge protectors still allow long term damage to accrue while the AutoFormer type devices will more often correct the situation instead of just shutting you down once power levels have been so low that damage has already started to accrue.