Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so we replaced the circuit board, thought all was good. Posted message that it was 99 degrees in coach over week-end. Took to service tech this morning. Spent $86.00 to diagnose problem only to find out now they can't diagnose problem without pulling unit for an additional $500.00. Compressors aren't coming on, only the fan is blowing. Called RVP, they said to check start capacitators. Service tech said can't without pulling. So whose not being up front with me.

BTW - came home last night, turned everything off, I thought. Started gen. Something is pulling 5 amps, couldn't locate source. Turned on AC jumped to 23 amps then settled down to 17 amps. If you subtract 5 amps for the unknown source, leaves 12 amps.

Right now I told tech I would be picking up unit and wasn't willing to spend $500.00 to pull unit. What would you do?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so we replaced the circuit board, thought all was good. Posted message that it was 99 degrees in coach over week-end. Took to service tech this morning. Spent $86.00 to diagnose problem only to find out now they can't diagnose problem without pulling unit for an additional $500.00. Compressors aren't coming on, only the fan is blowing. Called RVP, they said to check start capacitators. Service tech said can't without pulling. So whose not being up front with me.

BTW - came home last night, turned everything off, I thought. Started gen. Something is pulling 5 amps, couldn't locate source. Turned on AC jumped to 23 amps then settled down to 17 amps. If you subtract 5 amps for the unknown source, leaves 12 amps.

Right now I told tech I would be picking up unit and wasn't willing to spend $500.00 to pull unit. What would you do?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2 able people can pull a roof air very easily.I think they just didnt want the job. Even at $90.00 and hour $500 doesnt jive.The issue is that they will pull it and bench test it and say to you well its going to cost you $300, you say no way.Well they are stuck putting it back up there. I tried to have an old tv fixed at a shop and they wanted me to leave a $100 deposit . They had a backroom full of tv's customers just left there.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Its a basement AC, not roof AC. sorry for not being clear.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The unit doesn't need to be pulled to check/change start capacitors - they are located next to the circuit board that's easily accessable. Either your service dealer/tech is badly misinformed, or they are trying to take advantage of you.

What would I do? Find an RVP-listed servicing location and dump these people.

BTW: 'Something' pulling five amps could be the inverter/charger or the fridge...

PS: If the unit does need to be pulled/reinstalled, it is about a four hour job...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

DiAnna-Jeff;

I have never had a problem with my A/C. I have read several posts on this forum about our A/C units. I believe you can replace the starting capacitors with out removing the unit.

We have a member (Duner) on this forum who has removed his unit and rebuilt some components by him self. He has the post just below yours. He emailed me the PDF file on his project complete with pictures. His name is Bill Elsenpeter. Send him a PM and ask his opinion. I noticed he was on the board a little while ago.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

DiAnna & Jeff,
On my basement air you can pull a small black panel from the front without pulling the unit out. But my coach is a front gasser, not a rear pusher so there is some difference in the RVP units (where the in/out vents are located).

You might consider another authorized RVP service center where they are real familiar with the Winnie basement units. My guess on the time to pull & replace entire unit is 2-3 hrs, so cost should be more like $200-300. But that's not necessary to just replace the starting capacitors. It is common to have the starting caps fail, especially when it gets really hot outside.

Good luck,
Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It doesn't get any better than Duners post here -----> Duner

Download his two pdf's for information on how it's done. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself, at least you'll know when the sand is being pounded.

$500.00 to look at your unit. Uff Dha!!!! You could replace your roof vent with an air conditioner for that. I think you've done well to depart their location.

Good luck and if you find a reputable RVP service center, please post their name.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Even with basement A/C, two techs that know what they are doing should be able to pull the unit in about 30 minutes. They should be able to test and replace the capacitors without pulling the unit.

Personally, I'd look for another shop. Sounds like they do not know what they are doing.

Here is a link where there are instructions posted to remove the basement A/C unit....It ain't rocket Science.

Ken
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

When we had our Adventurer. We had A/C problems drawing high AMPS. Got hold of a service center for home units. He came out and tested the capacitor's. Found #1 compressor was froze up.
Other than having to drop the A.C to replace the comptessor all work was done while unit was in place.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Correct that the start capacitors can be checked/replaced/etc without removing the unit from the coach.

If the unit does have to be removed, learn from my experience -- mine has been removed 4 times by 4 different service locations (and totally mis-diagnosed 2 of those 4 times), twice in 2006 and twice in 2007. Each time the labor charge to remove, diagnose, repair, & reinstall the unit was a little over $300. 3 of the 4 locations were RVP certified. Two very impressive locations were Flint Hills RV in Andover KS (East side of Wichita), and Branson RV Repair (an independent repair shop) on SW side of Branson MO. One of the unimpressive though RVP certified locations was a Winnebago dealership.

If parts have to be ordered (blower motor in my case), the unit can be left out of your coach, air ducts plugged with towels or blocked with cardboard, and as long as it isn't terribly hot, you can continue to use the coach until the parts arrive and are installed in the unit.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We just had a new board put on and the bill was $447, $500 just to drop the air, sounds like they didn't know what they were doing in the first place. Many of the Winnebago dealers have certified techs to fix the a/c maybe thay can give you some info. Good Luck
Old 09-03-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

500$ isn't out of the ball-park depending on their hourly shop rate and their experience. I watched a *very* experienced tech (they do a lot of the RVP 'factory' service in Wichita) replace our unit last year and I think the entire job took about 3 1/2 hours and that included a little prep work on the new one. If their shop rate is 125$ an hour, then fours later you have a 500$ bill

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

First the starting cap are next to c board. Second I pulled my unit by myself in less than 45 min will Bill's inst. If the shop says he needs to pull unit to check cap and he is charging you 500.00 just to pull the unit ,I would run. I have never pulled one of these units before and it took me less than 45 min, alone. Just my opinion. safe travels
Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Update: Pulled MH last night and took to RVP auth rep. Ended up being the PC board, again. Called RVP and the service tech was nice enough to accept my word and he's sending a replacement PC board to the auth rep.

The first shop definately didn't know what they were doing. I kept asking if they were familiar with this product and actually they got snippy with me stated I keep asking them and they keep telling me they are certified. Now thinking back, I never got a direct answer. Lesson learned!

Will be sending them a letter of what the problem was and pointing out to them the unit did not need to be pulled to ascertain the problem!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Although your problem seems to be fixed, for the future: Also this post might be helpful regarding heat pump HERE

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote