Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36G motorhome with a Norcold model #1201LRM
Last night we were dry camping and shortly after switching the fridge to LP mode we smelled smoke. The back of the fridge was on fire! I grabbed the fire extingiusher and doused the flames. Lots of melted wires and unknown fire damage to the motorhome wall. This is the first time we have used the fridge in LP mode, so I suspect an LP leak from the factory! Shame on the coach builder and our dealer for not catching this serious problem.

We are on a roadtrip with our $200k motorhome and now we are using a cooler with ice.
I called our RV dealer and we will drop the unit for servicing this saturday.
This sucks
jthvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36G motorhome with a Norcold model #1201LRM
Last night we were dry camping and shortly after switching the fridge to LP mode we smelled smoke. The back of the fridge was on fire! I grabbed the fire extingiusher and doused the flames. Lots of melted wires and unknown fire damage to the motorhome wall. This is the first time we have used the fridge in LP mode, so I suspect an LP leak from the factory! Shame on the coach builder and our dealer for not catching this serious problem.

We are on a roadtrip with our $200k motorhome and now we are using a cooler with ice.
I called our RV dealer and we will drop the unit for servicing this saturday.
This sucks
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bummer!!! How awful!!!! Glad you were able to put the fire out with little damage and that you are safe.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

YIKES! Great save!!

Although I think I would classify this one under infant mortality since (hopefully) the dealer didn't actually drive, shake, and use the rig.., there are a whole lot of us 1200 series users here that I'm sure would like to hear the cause. Is it a leaky fridge, blown regulator, loose pipe nut, or..?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I saw a thread somewhere just recently about some burned wood due to poorly placed flue/vent behind refrigerators ... don't recall any out and out fires though!! I don't recall which Winnebago model was having the problem, but Winnebago Owner Relations should be aware of that particular problem. I have the same refrigerator in my '03 and have never had such problems with it.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #6

Ugggg! Let us know what the problems was as I have the same fridge.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have been contacted by Bryan Funke from Winnebago, and he has spoken to the dealer.

I will certainly let you fine folks know how the repairs go - and what they believe caused the fire.
Half of the controller box is melted and many wires burned up. It's worth noting that neither of the electrical breakers on the fridge tripped (12vDC or 120vAC) - that surprised me...

safe travels,
John
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The tripped breakers are no surprise. Houses burn down all the time due to resistive shorts without tripping breakers.
Was this an electrical fire or propane?

BTW- We're a visual bunch around here . Any pics are appreciated.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about the fridge but glad no one was hurt. Thanks for posting this and keeping us abreast. Have the same model also.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

jthvalkyrie,

Sorry to here of your troubles. In regard to AFChaps post, I seen the same thread. I believe it had to do with the venting on slide-mounted refrigerators. I'm sure Winnebago will do you right. Let us know how it works out
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We are anxious to hear your report as we have the same frige and there is a post on another forum with a fire, only they had much more damage.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I believe it had to do with the venting on slide-mounted refrigerators. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 36G does not use a slide-mounted refrigerator.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We are once again camping in our Meridian - and we are HAPPY CAMPERS. Both Winnebago and the dealership treated us right!

The dealership had our motorhome for two weeks. They replaced the fridge, wiring harnesses, fire extinguisher and had the unit cleaned by ServPro. ALl covered under warrnaty. The dealer (Flagg RV in Boylston MA) did a great job, completing on time and Bryan Funke from Winnebago owner relations was very helpful.

The diagnosis from the dealership was a loose LP connection on the fridge, apparently Norcold's issue. I do wonder how the fridge passed the pre-delivery fridge LP-mode tests at the factory and the dealer - but everything looks good now.

safe travels,
John
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

WOW! A propane fueled fire and you get the coach back in 2 weeks? U B really lucky guy!

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Yes, we ARE lucky, having caught the fire just as it ignited - and having the fire extinguisher at the ready.

Make sure your extinguisher works, you can get to it quickly and you know how to use it!

safe travels,
John
Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

That is great news. I am glad to hear a happy ending to this considering the severity of the situation. Very happy to hear your dealer and Bryan (Winny) performed for you. That the way it should be. Good luck and thanks for the OP on this. Take care
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote