Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

12 v Wire always hot in Refrigerator

OK For the 12v tech heads out there.
Our norcold refrigerator has a ceiling light in it (two white wires)
The White wire (closest to the front of the door) is always hot! EVEN IF I TURN OFF THE refrigerator's on\off switch..

Any reason why Winni would do that ?

Connected my internal refrigerator fan and was surprised the fan stayed on when i grounded to the fin and used that white wire (mentioned above). Light goes off when refrigerator is off.

I am Connected to AC shore power.

I am going to assume they use that same circuit to pull power to the same panel that I use the on\off switch to ?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I do not have a clue and judging by how many have viewed but not commented no one else does either.
Therefore how about calling Norcold and or manufacturer and asking? And have you looked for a schematic to check and see if this is as it should be.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
The White wire (closest to the front of the door) is always hot! EVEN IF I TURN OFF THE refrigerator's on\off switch..

Any reason why Winni would do that ?

Connected my internal refrigerator fan and was surprised the fan stayed on when i grounded to the fin and used that white wire (mentioned above). Light goes off when refrigerator is off.

I am Connected to AC shore power.

I am going to assume they use that same circuit to pull power to the same panel that I use the on\off switch to ?

Go to the link below and read the installation instructions for this refridgerator fan. I think this will give you your answer.

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
A 12 volt light must have a 12 volt power source and a ground circuit to operate.
The 12 volt hot wire at the ceiling light has constant power, but it can not work unless the ground circuit is complete. This is accomplished by opening and closing the ground circuit at the switch. It does not matter what direction the 12 volts is flowing, either from the switch or from the ceiling lamp. The power is probably flowing reverse the direction you are expecting.
A 12 volt light can work this way, but if it was 120V ceiling lamp, the light could only work if power was controlled at the switch, before it gets to the bulb.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Sammie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Go to the link below and read the installation instructions for this refridgerator fan. I think this will give you your answer.

DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay

Sammie
I spoke to the person that sells it and says that some designs are just constantly on , and I should look for a 12v kill switch.
THanks
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
A 12 volt light must have a 12 volt power source and a ground circuit to operate.
The 12 volt hot wire at the ceiling light has constant power, but it can not work unless the ground circuit is complete. This is accomplished by opening and closing the ground circuit at the switch. It does not matter what direction the 12 volts is flowing, either from the switch or from the ceiling lamp. The power is probably flowing reverse the direction you are expecting.
A 12 volt light can work this way, but if it was 120V ceiling lamp, the light could only work if power was controlled at the switch, before it gets to the bulb.
Hi John;
will take the volt meter and see if the other leg makes a difference then.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I spoke to the person that sells it and says that some designs are just constantly on , and I should look for a 12v kill switch.
THanks
I don't think I would bother wiring in a kill switch, just unclip the fan when the fridge is not in use. There will be no current draw on your batteries as long as the fridge light and/or the fan is not running.
The constant 12 volts at the fridge will not cause a parasitic draw as long as the circuit is left open without a ground connection.
If your MH has a battery disconnect I would recommend to use it when storing it for more then a few days to prevent possible parasitic draw from other electrical items.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote