Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

During fuel stop, noted weeping from wtr htr. Decided not to mess w/it & waited til arrival at RV park. Wise move. Tried to unscrew drain plug (Nylon), but the top came off, leaving the threaded portion in the barrel of the drain assy. HOT water everywhere, including me.

Went online to trusty IRV2 site, did a "find" & came up w/solution....go to Home Depot. Found "Plastic Nipple Extractor" in irrigation/sprinkler section ($4.25 incl tax).

The remaining nylon would not come out, so I used hair dryer (max hot) to heat up the metal 1/2" extractor, as well as the circumference of the drain. Finally came out with some coaxing.

I keep 2 or 3 nylon drain plugs as spares. Wrapped w/Teflon tape.

Thanks to SkiGramp for his 2007 post on IRV2.

Note witness mark on knuckle.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

During fuel stop, noted weeping from wtr htr. Decided not to mess w/it & waited til arrival at RV park. Wise move. Tried to unscrew drain plug (Nylon), but the top came off, leaving the threaded portion in the barrel of the drain assy. HOT water everywhere, including me.

Went online to trusty IRV2 site, did a "find" & came up w/solution....go to Home Depot. Found "Plastic Nipple Extractor" in irrigation/sprinkler section ($4.25 incl tax).

The remaining nylon would not come out, so I used hair dryer (max hot) to heat up the metal 1/2" extractor, as well as the circumference of the drain. Finally came out with some coaxing.

I keep 2 or 3 nylon drain plugs as spares. Wrapped w/Teflon tape.

Thanks to SkiGramp for his 2007 post on IRV2.

Note witness mark on knuckle.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thudam

U R Welcome ...

I am glad that I am able to return the favor ... I have been rescued by this forum on several occassions ...

PS. In Wisconsin we use brandy to cure bruised knuckles ... apply a little externally ... and an equal part internally
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've had to extract the threads on a broken plug twice ...tapped a hunting knife into the hole and turned it out with pliers both times. I have learned to carry extra plugs, and to put in a new plug every other time I flush the water heater ...which I do every four months.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Where can you buyy replacement plugs?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I need one of these tools in RV tool box.. Thanks...did not know it existed. Spent frustrating moments working broken nipples on sprinklers with chisel. Now see use for it with plugs on heaters.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

While at a campground two weeks ago I noticed a fellow going from camper to camper and talking briefly with each owner. When he got to me I found out why. Seems he saw his water heater plug leaking and you can tell the rest of the story. Said his wife was not happy with him. Gave him my spare plug and he could not stop thanking me. Now I must remember to pick up another spare for myself.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Where can you buyy replacement plugs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Virtually any RV dealer or parts place. They come a package of two ...Atwood drain plugs.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Replaced my nylon plug with a automotive type brass radiator drain plug. No more problems and every time I get home, its easy to drain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #10

On our last 4 motorhomes, we quickly dumped the lousy nylon plug for THIS...easy and quick to drain. This is always one of the first things I change when we trade.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">one of the first things I change when we trade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and "THIS" would be one of the first things I would throw out if I ended up with it ...if I could get it out without damaging the water heater. I thoroughly flush my WH at least 3 times a year with a wand, which these kinds of petcock drains make much more difficult to do.

We each make our own choices, and live with the advantages/dis-advantages of each. I'll stick with the nylon plugs the mfg designed for it.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I dump my HW tank after every trip. I repiped it to a ball valve and drilled a hole through the bottom and piped it through the hole, it goes on the ground when I open the ball valve. Never flushed it out with a wand thing, just empty it after a trip. Or any time I need to. Some times I just let some water out to get an air head cushion to stop my safety valve from leaking as this does happen from time to time.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the reminder. I replaced the nylon with a brass pipe plug on my 35U. And forgot to do it on the new rig. So that is on my "to do" list now.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">one of the first things I change when we trade. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and "THIS" would be one of the first things I would throw out if I ended up with it ...if I could get it out without damaging the water heater. I thoroughly flush my WH at least 3 times a year with a wand, which these kinds of petcock drains make much more difficult to do.

We each make our own choices, and live with the advantages/dis-advantages of each. I'll stick with the nylon plugs the mfg designed for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. New nylon ones I bought today have much thicker sidewalls at the threads...

Bought the extactor tool at Ace Hardware.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
Replaced my nylon plug with a automotive type brass radiator drain plug. No more problems and every time I get home, its easy to drain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a NO, NO!
small5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Can you use PVC in place of the nylon plug? Does PVC pose a problem for the HWH? It is used in home systems, isn't it?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

PVC is not rated for hot water. If you go this route, be sure to use CPVC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Can you use PVC in place of the nylon plug? Does PVC pose a problem for the HWH? It is used in home systems, isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the problem with a new OE nylon one..$2?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by small5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
Replaced my nylon plug with a automotive type brass radiator drain plug. No more problems and every time I get home, its easy to drain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a NO, NO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you use brass in lieu of nylon?????

I have replaced them with brass and PTFE tape for years.

Ken
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by small5:

That's a NO, NO! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you use brass in lieu of nylon?????

I have replaced them with brass and PTFE tape for years.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can...Most of us here have been replacing these nylon plugs with these brass thumb drain valves with PTFE tape for many many years. You can also get these at Camping World...I think I have seen these at Walmart on the RV isle also.

He might be referencing the opposing metal theory with the tank....I've never had that problem.....none that I know of have had that problem either....I dont know anyone that uses the nylon plugs anymore.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote