Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Why does my genset shut down when it has a half tank of fuel?

Today while traveling, my genset shut down and stored a 3 code. I filled it with oil and restarted it. It ran for a half hour and shut down again. I had a half tank of fuel. Any ideas would be appreciated.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

PORCHDOG, the fault code 3 is a First-level fault code—Indicates fault with second-level fault code, need the second level fault code to know what shut it down.
Check the second-level fault code by pressing STOP once
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The fuel line to the generator is mounted higher in the tank to make it harder to strand yourself when dry camping out in the boondocks. Some folks will run the generator until the coach is completely out of fuel and then be stranded without it being that way.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You filled it with oil? How low was the oil level ? Does it normally shut down when your tank goes down to 1/2 full, or is this the first time that has happened? Did you try filling up your tank and running the generator again? Perhaps your problem has nothing to do with your tank reading 1/2 full ?
One of the generators I've had over the years, would shut down even with a full tank. In my case it was a faulty low oil sensor.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

My Onan will shut down just a little below the 1/2 way mark on the fuel gauge. It will also shut down in the desert regions of AZ & CA during the summer months when the outside temps are extreme. I'm guessing it has some sort of overheating protection built in.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine used to shut down at about a1/2 tank every time I was in the mountains. This year I installed a longer pickup tube and solved that problem. Since we hardly ever boondock I am not too worried I will run the tank dry but I will be careful.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Mine used to shut down at about a1/2 tank every time I was in the mountains. This year I installed a longer pickup tube and solved that problem. Since we hardly ever boondock I am not too worried I will run the tank dry but I will be careful.
Is this longer pickup tub something you devised, or is it an actual part purchased from either an RV store or auto supply store? I would be interested in this modification on my motorhome as well. Did you do it yourself, or pay to have it done? Was it a simple process, or involve lowering the tank?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my rig at least the top of the fuel tank is accessible by removing two screws which allows you to open up a hidden door on the drivers side. I traced the pickup line from the generator and then removed the pickup tube from the tank. I was able to purchase a nylon fuel line repair kit at Auto Zone PN 800-064 for $15.99. The kit came with both a 5/16 and 3/8 nylon fuel line about 18 inches long. I needed the 5/16 line. I just cut off the old nylon line, heated the end of the new line with a hair dryer and it slipped right on the fitting. I trimmed the line at a 45 degree angle 3 inches longer than the original pickup tube. I really don't rely on my fuel gauge and try to fill around 500 miles into a tank so don't think I will have any problems as that is about 3/4 of a tank. Just tired of my generator running out of fuel on the hills at about 300 miles in to a tank. Actual work time probably about 1/2 hour. Hardest part was tracing the line which required my wife to watch from above while I pulled on the line down by the gen set.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tank