Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #1

Ok, here's our problem. While searching for threads dealing water filters, I've gathered that there is no "whole house" filter?

A maintenance person at the CG we're staying at told us to be sure to change out our water filter because the CG water is from a well and can get pretty "cruddy." So DH asks me if I've seen anything on the forum about this and I told him I'd do a search. So far, I haven't really seen anything that addresses our issues exactly.

First, if Winnebago doesn't have a "whole house" filter, what is that filter that is located in the fresh water compartment? We just assumed that it was for the whole house. We also see another filter under the kitchen sink that goes to the little drinking water dispenser on the kitchen sink.

So, DH thinks he should check that filter in the water compartment to see what condition it's in. He uses the wrench that is hanging in the compartment and screws off the canister. The filter looks ugly so we've got to get a new one.

Now, there's a black rubber O-ring that of course falls off once the canister is off. The owner's manual says to lubricate and change the o-ring every third filter change. DH then gets ready to temporarily screw the old filter and canister back on until we can go get a new filter. However, the o-ring doesn't quite fit the top of the canister. It's much larger. So DH lays it on top of the canister and "hopes" that it will seal correctly. It doesn't and starts leaking once the water is turned back on. After several tries, he "thinks" he has it on without too much leaking but he thinks there might be a little bit still coming out.

First, is there a trick to "seating" the O-ring correctly and what lubricant should be used? Second, is that in fact a "whole house" filter? Third, is it best just to replace the filter with the one that is specified or have some of you used anther brand or a "better" filter? Forth, do most of you change this filter regularly ...like every month? ...or what is the best way to determine it should be changed?

*heh* sorry for the long post and the numerous questions! Thanks!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

Ok, here's our problem. While searching for threads dealing water filters, I've gathered that there is no "whole house" filter?

A maintenance person at the CG we're staying at told us to be sure to change out our water filter because the CG water is from a well and can get pretty "cruddy." So DH asks me if I've seen anything on the forum about this and I told him I'd do a search. So far, I haven't really seen anything that addresses our issues exactly.

First, if Winnebago doesn't have a "whole house" filter, what is that filter that is located in the fresh water compartment? We just assumed that it was for the whole house. We also see another filter under the kitchen sink that goes to the little drinking water dispenser on the kitchen sink.

So, DH thinks he should check that filter in the water compartment to see what condition it's in. He uses the wrench that is hanging in the compartment and screws off the canister. The filter looks ugly so we've got to get a new one.

Now, there's a black rubber O-ring that of course falls off once the canister is off. The owner's manual says to lubricate and change the o-ring every third filter change. DH then gets ready to temporarily screw the old filter and canister back on until we can go get a new filter. However, the o-ring doesn't quite fit the top of the canister. It's much larger. So DH lays it on top of the canister and "hopes" that it will seal correctly. It doesn't and starts leaking once the water is turned back on. After several tries, he "thinks" he has it on without too much leaking but he thinks there might be a little bit still coming out.

First, is there a trick to "seating" the O-ring correctly and what lubricant should be used? Second, is that in fact a "whole house" filter? Third, is it best just to replace the filter with the one that is specified or have some of you used anther brand or a "better" filter? Forth, do most of you change this filter regularly ...like every month? ...or what is the best way to determine it should be changed?

*heh* sorry for the long post and the numerous questions! Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Here is a link to a good site for water filters/accessories(O-Rings etc). You can either call them or send e-mail. We have used them in the past with good results.
RV Water Filter Store.
Our Winnie Voyage only has the Everpur water filter under the kitchen sink and while rated as one of the best, I am thinking about installing some additional filtering for the whole coach. We have well water at our lake getaway property and while the water has always tested ok, we still could use xtra filtering for the calcium/lime.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We have the under sink filter which we change once a year. We also have a Whole House GE filter we bought at Home Depot and adapted for hose connections it's in line before our WaterSoft water softener.
We full time and in the south and west all you really have is well or hard water... I change the GE filter once a month (2 Charcoal filters for 12.00) at Home Depot/Wally World or Loews) Cheap!
The water from any CGround is triple filtered before we make a pot of coffee, or fill our water bottles.
The O-ring on ours fits around the top of the bottom canister in the groove, Should be around 4 inches. Makes contact with the mounted top part. Make sure the center of the filter cartridge and the molded round riser in the bottom and top line up before screwing it on...If your filter case uses 10 inch filters you can buy them at the above stores...
I've been using the same o-ring gasket for 4 years...no leaks...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Trek-Cyclist is right. The filter that is at the coach water inlet is the 'whole house' filter. We generally change the filter about every quarter unless we are where the water is really bad and cruds up the filter sooner. The under sink filter filters the water for drinking from the sink and also the ice maker. I usually change it every 6 months. We use that water for any coffee or refrigerated water in the rig.

As a rule, I never run water into the coach tanks without the filter - no matter where I'm filling - campground, home, rally, etc. Over the years I think this has paid off with healthier water for us.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage 40K
02 Saturn L100 toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Winnebago apparently started plumbing in water inlet (AKA "whole-house") filters in 2007 (like the canister you have in the plumbing bay.) We didn't have one factory installed (except for the excellent Everpure at the sink) but I made a two-stage filter that I always use before any water ever hits our coach.

Filter canister #1 is a sediment filter (traps particulates, i.e., sand) and the following stage is a carbon filter to improve the taste (particularly good at removing chlorine taste/smell.)

When we are going to be stopped for more than one night, I also break out the portable water softener.

When we are on the road, I change out the external filters (sediment/charcoal) every 30 days. The Everpure (the galley sink filter) will last for about a year with heavy use. The clue to change that out is a very diminished water flow.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Our coach came with only the Everpure filter under the sink for drinking water & ice maker filtering. I added a sediment filter between the shore water & coach. We don't use a charcoal filter outside as we want chlorine in the fresh water tank.

We are fulltimers. I change the Everpure drinking water filter once a year, and the whole house sediment filter every three months. Most of the time the sediment filter comes out simply rust colored, but once it was brown and really nasty after some particularly bad water.

I have bought most of my whole house filters from the RV Water Filter Store at http://rvwaterfilterstore.com/, but have bought a few also at Lowes. I normally can't find the 1 micron sediment filters I want at Lowes, etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hey if you want to buy my everpure under the sink filter, it is still in the original plastic wrapper. We don't use any filters at all, and we have never been hospitalized for drinking our water at all. Just snatize your tanks as directed. I guess you all wear those disposable rubber gloves to TOUCH your own sewer hose also. PAR-RANOIA will destroy ya.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<span class="ev_code_RED">No Thanks</span>
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Amanda,

Try putting the O ring in the freezer for awhile. This should shrink it enough to get it back in the groove. Works for me.

I use food grade silicone grease, bought mine at ACE hardware. Put this in the groove, should help hold it. I also spread some on the exposed part of the O ring.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I fulltime also... I have a whole house filter and a 5 stage RO system for drinking water. ZFor more info visit my web site.

a) Chlorine will dissipate in about 24 hours once it is exposed to air and sunlight.

b) Putting the "O" in the freezer is a temporary fix. It will go back to the oversize shape after it warms up. Sooner or later it will leak. The fix - get a new "O" ring.

c) Instead of silicone grease use KY Jelly... Ya ya ya I know it sounds weird but it works and it cleans up with water.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We don't use any filters at all, and we have never been hospitalized for drinking our water at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Our filters aren't there for "health" reasons. That's what the chlorine in the water and sanitizing the system as needed are for.
- The drinking water filter is there for taste. It does often make a big difference in taste, AND, it keeps the DW happy.
- The sediment filter was added after we had sand in the shower in a location or two -- no more sand ALSO keeps the DW happy.

If DW ain't happy, ain't NOBODY 'round here happy!!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Just in case you think that water filters are not necessary, not effective, not worth the money etc... check out this photo of the 3 filters I changed in my RO system after 1 summer of travel.

Remember, I have a whole house filter in front of the RO system that filters all the water to the coach. I change the .5 micron carbon filter every 3 months or a necessary. The RO system has 2 carbon, 1 sediment , RO membrane and a final carbon filter before the water is available for drinking.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

My sediment filter (like yours on the right) will look that bad sometimes after only a month of use

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

The trick for the O-ring is to put it in the head, then screw the bottom part in. It fits into the groove on the bottom part automatically then.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Just in case you think that water filters are not necessary, not effective, not worth the money etc... check out this photo of the 3 filters I changed in my RO system after 1 summer of travel.

Remember, I have a whole house filter in front of the RO system that filters all the water to the coach. I change the .5 micron carbon filter every 3 months or a necessary. The RO system has 2 carbon, 1 sediment , RO membrane and a final carbon filter before the water is available for drinking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale:
Can we assume that is from using Tx water as we don't have that nasty stuff in Missoura.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

John,

I probably replaced at least 2 or even 3 house filters during the same time before I changed the RO filters.

Jerry,

Not all of was Texas was there might have been some of the Missoura water in the mix.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #18

Thanks so much for all the replies! I've learned a lot so far.

Ok, now I know what filter to use, what lubricant to use, how to know when to change the filter, and a bunch of other good information.

Now, the question is, where to we buy the O-ring?? I've been all over the web and haven't found one or even find the part number. I guess I can call or write Shurflo (Waterguard) but I just wondered if any of you have purchased one somewhere.

Ours is the Winnebago factory installed SHURflo Waterguard model number RV-10UC.

I can't find it on the internet at Campingworld, PPL, or anywhere so far.

Has anyone bought one recently? Thanks!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I would be surprised if this site didn't have one. Leave them an E-Mail with your filter model # or call them.
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

The website of Shurflo is also an option.
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/home.html
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
I would be surprised if this site didn't have one. Leave them an E-Mail with your filter model # or call them.
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

The website of Shurflo is also an option.
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/home.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, JC!

Yeah, I have been on both of those sites and haven't found the O-ring for the canister than Winnebago installed on our Meridian.

I'll call or email one of them if nobody else knows of a place where they've bought one for a good price.

Thanks!