Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

The very smallest WATTS makes is too small to provide good water flow. It may also be hard to find. The next size up will work well.

My two recommendations are 1/2 and 3/4 inch, 1/2 is the smallest I'd care to use, and 3/4 is easier to screw adapters into for a garden hose. Though it can be done with 1/2 inch as well the 1/2 inch to Garden hose adapters that screw INTO the Watts are a bit harder to find.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

When the Valterra (by Watts) goes I will replace it with a normal capacity 3/4" Watts probably one of the lead free brass cartridge models but not from their line of low capacity valves better suited to beverage machines and ice makers. Don't make the mistake of getting an iron bodied regulator for your RV as those are not usually the best choice for residential applications.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The very smallest WATTS makes is too small to provide good water flow. It may also be hard to find. The next size up will work well.
Are you meaning the Watts 560 series? If so, they are very easy to find. I just went through the research process before deciding on the 263a. The 560 can be obtained with or without hose fittings and with or without a gauge (same with 263a). They are readily available on the internet and at plumbing wholesalers.

If it is the 560 you mean, yes the flow rate isn't that great at 2 - 2.5 gpm but better than the orifice restricted, inline hose type.

I looked around for an upgrade from the 560 and it came down to the 263a which does 4 -4.5 gpm. Other models and makes are quite a bit more expensive and some are quite heavy, as in boat anchor heavy.

I searched everywhere for the 263a and found rvwaterfilterstore.com to have the best price. They even phoned me to confirm the order a couple of hours after I placed it. Now that is service!

Incidentally, I just looked at the filter screen on the water inlet on our TT. After 50 nights of camping this season, the screen is nearly totally plugged up with crap on it. And that's in addition to the filter screen on the inline regulator we were using at the other end of the hose. Don't know if it's sediment or mineral buildup or something else. Sure doesn't look like stuff you'd want in drinking water. Maybe there's a better filter screen or a small pre-filter that could be using at the cg faucet to keep this stuff from getting into your regulator, filter and RV system.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

We have used a 3/4' bore Watts N45BU since 2005. Paid apx $35 for it plus the hose bib connectors. I put it at the hydrant on a y fitting using quick-connects. The y fitting is stored on the end of the reeled in hose when traveling. When stowing I start at the hydrant and work mt way through y, regulator, sediment filter & short hose, and last the main hose on the reel.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Sounds like you've decided, but one thing to consider is the flow rate. I have not found a believable test result for the Valterra and they don't have flow/pressure curve data like Watts and the others have. If you add a filter, you could get lower a flow rate. You can get a quality Watts 263a, that's rebuildable if ever needed, and gives 4+ gpm for just a few $$ more than the Valterra one. After doing a lot or research, I just ordered the 263a (under $60) and will be mounting it inside along with a high flow rate "whole house" combination filter. I know it's recommended to mount the regulator at the source end of the hose, but a basic hose usually has a burst pressure rating of something like 200 psi. If you get a better quality hose, the rating goes much higher. The thing to do is to take care of your hose(s), don't use a cheapo quality one, and replace it if it is getting tired looking and you'll be fine with the regulator inside. I like the idea of being inside as it will never get stolen, forgotten or damaged.
The flow rate is not that great on the Valtera and has diminished after a few years. I am going to go through it but am not that confident that Valtera packaged the most appropriate regulator for RV use as it looks better suited for vending machines or use in applications like ice makers, coffee services or soft drink dispensing. Still it is better than the inline orifice tube models that are most common.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We have used a 3/4' bore Watts N45BU since 2005. Paid apx $35 for it plus the hose bib connectors. I put it at the hydrant on a y fitting using quick-connects. The y fitting is stored on the end of the reeled in hose when traveling. When stowing I start at the hydrant and work mt way through y, regulator, sediment filter & short hose, and last the main hose on the reel.
Pretty much a standard of the industry meat and potatoes unit designed for years of unattended reliable service.

I grew up in Watts country where they were a major employer in the area. We had some purchasing agent hired where I worked at a local millworks that started switching over to other brands to save some pennies and prove his worth but they did not last as long and were very problematic. After that episode whenever we discussed any expansion of our regulated air or water services on the production line this was brought up by senior managment and it would be written into the project specs to only use Watts regulators, filters and air tool oilers (where applicable). That puchasing agent is gone and the Watts units are there to stay.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Be sure it has the lead free designation for the water regulator for potable water use. Standard bronze has some lead in it.

Ken
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Be sure it has the lead free designation for the water regulator for potable water use. Standard bronze has some lead in it.

Ken
OK, because of reading this thread I've ordered a Valterra lead free adjustable water regulator from Camping World. It will replace my adjustable Watts 560 which has been discontinued because of the lead in it. The Valterra regulator is on sale through the internet at Camping World this weekend for $52.14.

Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

And here I am getting ready to retire the toy Valterra and switch to a real one.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
OK, because of reading this thread I've ordered a Valterra lead free adjustable water regulator from Camping World. It will replace my adjustable Watts 560 which has been discontinued because of the lead in it.
Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Actually, there is a lead-free H560, the "LFH560":

www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=7665
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Actually, there is a lead-free H560, the "LFH560":

www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=7665
Thanks! I didn't realize that Watts had made a new lead-free replacement. I should have guessed that they would. After doing a bit of searching I found the new lead-free regulator for sale for $68.43 here:

Pressure Regulator by WATTS - Pressure Regulators by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Well gang,

We've been using the larger Valterra for quite some time now and it's been working just fine. The flow characteristics seem to provide for good showers and regular Fawcett operations. But, in that add for the
3/4 LFH560-G, I see everything about that regulator but, the flow limits. And, one of the members here has commented about that little Watts having too little flow, in terms of GPM. I'm not sure of just what the flow GPM on the larger Valterra is but, again, seems just fine. Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well gang,

We've been using the larger Valterra for quite some time now and it's been working just fine. The flow characteristics seem to provide for good showers and regular Fawcett operations. But, in that add for the
3/4 LFH560-G, I see everything about that regulator but, the flow limits. And, one of the members here has commented about that little Watts having too little flow, in terms of GPM. I'm not sure of just what the flow GPM on the larger Valterra is but, again, seems just fine. Scott
I also have the larger Valtera and it has not maintained its flow after three years in service. A standard household sized Watts is larger with better flow, much more reliable and rebuildable with kits available for most units so they are not disposable items. Even on Watts regulators the no longer have rebuild kits the designs are usually simple enough that you can just clean them up, lube them with a little plumbers grease and be back in business in short time.

The LFH560-G is more for manufacturing equipment and is rated for a MAX of 250 gallons per hour or 4.16 gallons per minute. It is fine for its intended purpose but would not be my first choice as it does not currently have a rebuild kit available.

http://media.wattswater.com/ES-LF560_LFH560.pdf

I will attempt to open up the Valtera to service it however the plastic cap may not hold up to servicing so I am prepared to have a total loss when I make the attempt.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

We have used a Watts N45B for 7+ years with no problem. I actually have two of these regulators, second one courtesy of someone who left one attached to a hydrant.

These are factory set to 50 PSI. I have the 3/4" version. Watts now makes a lead free version. Easy maintenance; has a repair kit if needed.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote