Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Where's "Proof" that my tanks are heated?

Gang,
I did a search and found some previous posts on heated tanks. But, many of them applied to gas rigs while some leaned towards the diesel boys. And while many of answers in those posts elated to the fact that the furnace or, even the basement heat pump has provisions to heat those tanks and or, a possible "heating pad" of some sort MIGHT be installed, and or, the compartments of the tanks themselves might be heated, I've found nothing in my owners manual, YET, that states in writing, that any or all tanks are heated in any fashion. Our present rig, is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD Diesel Pusher with the 330 CAT.

Now, my '99 Fleetwood Bounder gas model 34V with the F-53 Chassis and V-10 had heated tanks because you could see the duct hose ends pointed directly at the tank sides by viewing through certain compartment situations.

I kind of figured this rig being a much higher end rig than that one surely would have heated tanks. I'm just not finding "Proof" and or in writing that those tanks are heated. We're not camping in severe cold climates at the present time so it's not critical at the minute. But, I'd like to know for sure if and how they're heated. I will dig into my Freightliner Chassis manual later today to see if that has anything to offer but, as of yet, nothing in the Itasca owners manual elates to "tank heating".

I hate to waist the time of Freightliner Customer Service on a call like this. I figure they're there for more important customer concerns. So, do any of you "like coach" owners have any written info about the heating of any of the tanks on your D/P? Thanks very much.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up, I do not have your rig, but let me suggest that if you do not have any vents going into the basement or tank area you may check your fuse panel and electrical box for a fuse or breaker that would indicate tank heaters or something like that. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've got an '06 Itasca and have asked myself the same question. I believe that one of the heat ducts under the bed is routed to the tank area, but the area that concerns me is the water bay with the pump. On my model, it's co-located with the rest of the water systems in a fiberglass bay that has no connection or vent that would provide heating. I've placed a thermometer in the area and turned on the gas furnace without any change in temperature. To guard against freezing in the bay, I place a trouble light with a 100W bulb and haven't had any problem. The other thing that's apparent is that the "insulated holding tanks" are basically covered by a glued on sheet of foil insulation. I'm not sure how much protection that provides. We've been in temps down into the low teens without incident, so the furnace and trouble light seem to be sufficient.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your Horizon tanks enclosed area is ACTIVELY heated by the LP furnace. You won't find the ducts unless you open things up. They tap off the furnace ducts to run flexible duct work to that area. I found one behind the metal panels in my water service bay when I replaced dump valves.

The same areas are PASSIVELY heated/cooled by whatever system is running upstairs via the electrical/plumbing "airways" under cabinets, etc. On a hot summer day I feel a small burst of cool air when I open an outside compartment door. In extremely cold weather I have wireless thermometer sending units in two critical compartments and am very impressed how well those areas stay above outside temp w/o extra help (light bulb, etc).

Some owners think they will help by closing up all the wire/plumbing ways that the factory "so carelessly" left open under cabinets/counters ...BIG MISTAKE. Those airways need to be there, and they do have more purpose than just being a big hole wires and pipes come through and small objects disappear into...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think a call to the factory might be in order to relieve your mind about tank heating situation, 1-800-643-4892, and follow the prompts. As for me I have camped in some pretty cold country in my Itasca 40 AD without any problems. The bad part being you need to have the furnace working to supply the heat.

Don' WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
The DW may have answered my own post. She has the factory brochure in a PDF file on her i-pad. She was cruising around on it while we were eating breakfast this morning and found:

"Tank holding, heated compartment"

The lines before and after that statement pertain to different subjects and their respectable descriptions. So, at present, that is the only real, IN WRITING, statement that the holding tanks or, compartments they're in, are heated. How exactly they are heated, was not labeled. Some of you have stated how you think they're heated and all I do at the time is take what you think as gospel. This is not world news, I'm just curious about the system and how it works.

As for seeing those tanks, basically that's almost impossible. The only tank I can even get a slight look at is my water tank. And I can only see the top third of it at that. So, seeing any duct hose at or near any of those tanks is not possible unless I really want to tear into something that might lead me to a visible proof of heating in those tank areas.

We don't normally camp in climates/areas that approach freezing or even below so, at present, I'm just learning of it's factory precautions, should we get into those predicaments. Thank you all for answering my post on this. I hope it wasn't too repetitious.
Scott
Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

FireUp,

You won't be able to see any hot air ducts, but you can sure see the returns. One should be at the foot of your bed in the same compartment where you tried to access the rear slide cylinder. You should also have one in the bath area. Mine is under the shower.

Turn on the furnace with the outside compartments closed and you will feel the return air.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The way I proved how my tank heaters worked was simple... On a cool (not necessarly cold) day, with the furnace running, I opened one of the WET bay doors, and felt the warm air from the furnace blowing on my face.. Kind of proved it for me.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
The DW may have answered my own post. She has the factory brochure in a PDF file on her i-pad. She was cruising around on it while we were eating breakfast this morning and found:

"Tank holding, heated compartment"

The lines before and after that statement pertain to different subjects and their respectable descriptions. So, at present, that is the only real, IN WRITING, statement that the holding tanks or, compartments they're in, are heated. How exactly they are heated, was not labeled. Some of you have stated how you think they're heated and all I do at the time is take what you think as gospel. This is not world news, I'm just curious about the system and how it works.

As for seeing those tanks, basically that's almost impossible. The only tank I can even get a slight look at is my water tank. And I can only see the top third of it at that. So, seeing any duct hose at or near any of those tanks is not possible unless I really want to tear into something that might lead me to a visible proof of heating in those tank areas.

We don't normally camp in climates/areas that approach freezing or even below so, at present, I'm just learning of it's factory precautions, should we get into those predicaments. Thank you all for answering my post on this. I hope it wasn't too repetitious.
Scott
i installed 3 wired inside-outside temperature gauges from harbor freight in my tank bays. i should have used a wireless system.
the only bay that requires supplemental heat when using ceramic electric heaters inside the moho is the aft water service compartment. i use a 100w trouble light in that compartment when the outside temperature is forecast to be below 32 degrees.
i run the electric element on the water heater to keep the pump and fwd tank compartment from freezing.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We had a 2003 Journey DL and I too was concerned about the heat in the tank bay. This is what I found, the duct supplying the heat to the tank bay was pointing at the walk see attached photo. This picture is looking forward in the tank bay, outside wall on the left. After much effort I was able to reroute the duct so it pointed to the area between the valves.
Attached Images

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys,
For taking the time to respond and give me your ideas, experience and related thoughts on holding/water tank heating. I certainly appreciate all of them. While I've not "dug" into the walls behind the compartments to actually see the ducts, the brochure does state that the compartments or, TANKS I should say, are in fact heated. To me, it's kind of amazing that I have to find the information in a BROCHURE and not the owners manual about info that I, and apparently others too, think is rather important because of the concern and therefore devising alternate way of keeping your tanks heated in drab weather.

Well, that's OK. At least I found something that's in writing on the subject. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Like grtharris above our holding tanks and associated plumbing are in fact "heated" by the same method as above. Heat is fed to this area only when the on board furnance is operating-not when the heat pump is used for heat. I think that if you look very carefully in the holding tank bay you will find a hose similar to the above post.

The Chaplain above makes a very good point about some of those "holes" that were not sealed by workers at the factory. Some of them are there for a reason-return air, which is essential to keep heated air circulating throughout the heated bay.

Like erneih above, return air for our holding tank is routed through a vent under the shower.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Interesting that I came upon this discussion. I do not own a motorhome yet but I am but I plan to purchase one within the next couple of months and start full timing with the family in August. I already know I want a 40ft diesel motorhome so not I an putting together the particulars. So my question is heated holding tanks or heated compartments? What's better and why? There are going to be times when we will still be camping in the north when the temperature drops.

What should I get or be looking for?

Thanks,

Addio
Addio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #14

Heated compartments.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
heated holding tanks or heated compartments? What's better and why?
Either works ...heated compartments keeps not only the tanks but stuff stored in the basement compartments from freezing temps ...normally by burning LP gas. "Heated tanks" may mean simply an electric pad that heats only the tank, and also takes extra electric to run it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

By the way. Earlier I mentioned feeling the warm air blowing on my face... have not had much of that this winter not so much because of the cold as because the oringinal ATTWOOD control board on my furnace... Died.

Just got my New Dinosaur "Fan-50 Plus" from RV Parts RV Accessories RV Appliances RV Repair RV Service

Plugged it in.. Tried it out.. It is superior (programmign wise) to the OEM, and a visual inspection suggests it is better (more rugged design, additional protection for the part that failed on the originel board and so on) to the OEM board.

Very happy (and warm) customer.

Thankfully I do have an electric heat option.. (I added special outlets for space heaters, hard wired 20 amp outlets with 12ga feed screwed down).
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I own a 2005 Horizon 40-AD and there is no question that the water compartment, the one with the water pump, is heated. I have a wireless thermostat in that compartment and there were many times when the outside temp was in the 20s and that compartment was 45+. On our rig one of the floor heat vents just below the master electrical panel has a diverter built in that you can direct heat into the water compartment or the interior of the rig. This heat vent is active only with the main gas furnace. Also the space under the kitchen sink serves to feed warm air from the coach interior to the water compartment.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote