Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey ... it has a Shurflow 2.8 fresh water pump.

We have been in cold weather recently ... so I have been filling the fresh water tank and stowing my hose. We leave the pump ON.

Recently, about every 45 minutes I hear the pump run for a a few (probably 1 or 2) seconds and shut off ... there are no faucets open that I can see ...

It seems that the output from the pump has decreased, too. It still pumps but the stream is not as robust as it once was.

I have looked at the shurflo website and they give the parts to rebuild the pump.

I searched this forum and found people who have replaced the 2.8 with the 5.7 ... but did not find hints on repairing the 2.8 ...

I am hoping that someone can suggest what I need to do to repair my pump.

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey ... it has a Shurflow 2.8 fresh water pump.

We have been in cold weather recently ... so I have been filling the fresh water tank and stowing my hose. We leave the pump ON.

Recently, about every 45 minutes I hear the pump run for a a few (probably 1 or 2) seconds and shut off ... there are no faucets open that I can see ...

It seems that the output from the pump has decreased, too. It still pumps but the stream is not as robust as it once was.

I have looked at the shurflo website and they give the parts to rebuild the pump.

I searched this forum and found people who have replaced the 2.8 with the 5.7 ... but did not find hints on repairing the 2.8 ...

I am hoping that someone can suggest what I need to do to repair my pump.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

If the pump is cycling without you using any water, the first thing I would look for is a small water leak somewhere.

As for the output, have you replaced the water filter lately? Sounds like a dumb question, but I always check the easy stuff first.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You have a small leak somewhere, maybe just a drip. It is possible that the "leak" is actually inside the pump in its diaphragm or check valve and is letting water leak back into the fresh tank.

As for reduced flow, it could be that the pump has sucked debris from the fresh tank and it is clogging the pump inlet. Most pumps have a screen there just for that reason. If you can get at the pump, see if there is a small round filter right at the pump inlet. If so, remove and clean it out.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My Itasca Suncruiser has a backflow valve at the city water inlet. This valve drips slightly when I am not on city water and am using the pump. My solution is to screw a plug into the water fill which stops this leak and stops the pump cycling. You might want to check out your system and see if you are getting a very slight drip here.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Check your city water tank fill valve. I saw where a valve was leaking and a little water was being pumped back into the tank with no visible signs of a leak.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

There are several possibilities depending on the design of your water system. My pump cycling was due to a worn 3-way selector valve that allowed water from the pressure side of the system to leak back to the water tank supply line. Look for possible leak paths on the pressure side--doesn't have to be a visible leak.
Slow flow could be restriction to pump inlet or clog. I also removed flow restrictors from inside kitchen and bath faucet outlets. The 2.8 pump won't send a flood, but no sense restricting what it gives.
Doc Mark, what size cat litter pan do you have???
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Another place to check for a small leak is the toilet. The pumps are easy to rebuild. There are only three screws to remove. Here is an exploded parts list
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

RVRoamer and two2go

I will clean the screen and see if this solves the lack of flow problem ...

John ...

You must have rebuilt one of these rascals ... I looked at the exploded parts list ... which parts do I need to order ...
(5) Pumphead Repair Kit
(no number) Check Valve

Thanks guys
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
LR
Winnebago Camper

Check your pressure relief valve on your water heater. If it is leaking do to lack of head space or is defective, it can cause your water pump to cycle on and off.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

So what you're really saying is that Ernie needs a Urologist eh?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Jeff ...

Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

when i first got my moho, i was plagued with water leaks inside and outside. i had to replace the pump and the inline filter screen. there were leaks under the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and and at the shower valve.
it is easier to find the leaks if you build up pressure in the water heater by operating the heater from cold until it shuts off.
i installed faucet repair kits in all the faucet valves and tightened all the line nuts.
now my toilet flush valve leaks enough to cycle the pump sometimes. it just adds approx 1.5 to 3 inches of water on top of the ball valve overnight. not a problem for me.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Bypass your water heater. See if this stops the pump from cycling. I had a small leak start in the water heater that was hard to see. Also had a customer with a new 5er that had this problem and as we were looking for the problem he was on city water the tank let go. Big mess.
BERT64 is offline   Reply With Quote