Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What's Behind The Shower Wall?

I have a 2018 27N where the shower wall that the shower head is mounted on is common to the wall in the dinette area that the main TV is mounted to. I know Winnebago.com has the plumbing and wiring diagrams on their site, and I've seen those, but I am looking for how the wall itself is constructed. Wood framing? Metal bracing? Anyone know where I can find details on how that wall is constructed?

Thanks!
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm curious too. I want to install an ADA handrail (see another thread) on the shower handle/head side. I want to use bolts with backing and am worried about piping.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The water pipes go down the corner space behind the shower surround. You can remove the return air vent grille and view some of the wall construction. There is also a hole in the back wall of the floor cabinet next to the shower where the TV AC cord comes thru and plugs into an outlet that you can look thru to get another view.

So far as I can tell there's not much structure there in terms of supporting full weight of an adult pushing or pulling in any direction as a ADA handrail should be able to do.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Randy! That helps!
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you are looking for something for a person to hold on to for some balance and it not needed for more than 30-40 pounds consider a Double Handle (2 cup) suction cup plate/pad for lifting/pulling glass. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Alumin...gateway&sr=8-3
Usually the shower wall material is smooth and the suction cups will hold just fine.
I would remove the thing every week or so and put it back on to renew the suction.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
If you are looking for something for a person to hold on to for some balance and it not needed for more than 30-40 pounds consider a Double Handle (2 cup) suction cup plate/pad for lifting/pulling glass. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Alumin...gateway&sr=8-3
Usually the shower wall material is smooth and the suction cups will hold just fine.
I would remove the thing every week or so and put it back on to renew the suction.
IMHO this is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, I wouldn't trust it for ADA purposes other than to just to touch for balance. Secondly, your shower wall may not be rigid enough to handle the stress of a pull.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
IMHO this is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, I wouldn't trust it for ADA purposes other than to just to touch for balance. Secondly, your shower wall may not be rigid enough to handle the stress of a pull.
That is why I lead off with my opening statement:
Quote:
If you are looking for something for a person to hold on to for some balance and it not needed for more than 30-40 pounds
It is also worth a try since these suction glass handlers cost less than $20.

It all depends on what your needs are.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
That is why I lead off with my opening statement:

It is also worth a try since these suction glass handlers cost less than $20.

It all depends on what your needs are.
Home Depot sells suction cup type shower handles. We have them in our home shower and they work great.
rudybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Before you think of installing anything on Winnebago interior walls, I would suggest you call OwnerRelations and ask them to describe the makeup of the wall and review with them your wishes. In my 09 Journey, the panelling is about 1/8" thick and has really limited strength particularly if you were to apply a force perpendicular to the wall. As well, structural support spacing is limited and not easily located. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower