Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water won't pressurize from winterization.

2001 Winnebago Journey 32t

I winterized last fall with air. I don't use anything in the lines and just a little of the RV stuff in the drains and potty. I don't mess with the hot water bypass.

I cannot for the life of me get the system to build pressure. The water tank is full. I've turned the pump on and let it run for 10+ minutes of time. There is air bubbles in the lines on both ends of the pump along with a little bit of water. Sometimes it will almost appear it will be ready to rock and roll and then...nothing but air. This is the 3rd spring I've had this model and every year it seems like more trouble to get things back up and running on the water side. Two years ago I had to pull the bypass valve apart on the water heater cause it was all messed up. The guts of it are removed.

I don't have hardly anything on the hot water side.

How long should the pump run to fill the hot water tank up? Where is all this air coming from?

mac 'purge me' gyvr
Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Have a outdoor shower ?

The handles turned to off ?

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
Just Trying to Help

As a first step, I'd disconnect the water pump output from the house piping and put a short hose on it. Direct the hose to a bucket, hit the "on" button, and then see what you get.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Make sure that you switched your "Fresh Water Valve" from "Tank Fill" to "Normal".
Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Make sure the 3 way valve that has the tube to suck RV antifreeze out of a jug on the water line between the water tank and water pump is not in the "suck from jug" position.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If all valves are in the correct position, I have sometimes had to open the low point drain for 15 seconds or so to get the pump over the "air lock" and started pumping water. Once water starts flowing well I close the drain and am good to go. My pump is right at the low point drain on mine so easy to do.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Be sure your tank fill/city water valve is on city water and not tank fill. Im sure my friends coach he has to put the plastic plug on the water inlet or it will suck air as well. Dont know this for sure but he has told me that.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
If all valves are in the correct position, I have sometimes had to open the low point drain for 15 seconds or so to get the pump over the "air lock" and started pumping water. Once water starts flowing well I close the drain and am good to go. My pump is right at the low point drain on mine so easy to do.
Right on Paul. That is the "trick" to priming these water pumps, open a faucet or water outlet. The pump will not pressurize air, it must pull in water to prime and they have very poor suction/water lift.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another thing to check for is to make sure the check valve at the city water hose port is properly seated. If it's off to one side the pump will just draw air from the port rather than water from the tank.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure you don't have a leak? The only time this has happened to me in 12 or so spring startups was when I hadn't done a good job and had a crack in a line.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Use your city fill to force air out of the system. It takes time and patience but it will work. the pump can not put enough pressure to force the air out.
Digger72x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger72x View Post
Use your city fill to force air out of the system. It takes time and patience but it will work. the pump can not put enough pressure to force the air out.
When hooked to city water, the pump is out of the loop, water bypasses the pump.
If the pump is working properly it can and will force air out of the system, IF you open a water outlet to relieve any air pressure that prevents water flowing into the pump..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replies. I am going back at it this week after some travel and work training. The first camping trip is coming up soon!

I'm sure the fill valve is in the correct position, I learned about that nonsense the first year I tried to bring the water system up. The outside shower is off.

I am going try the low drain suggestion (great idea) and then pull the outlet if that doesn't work.

I have no idea if this pump is original to the coach.

mac 'topped off with missing the email notification of replies to this thread' gyvr
macgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Figured it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	159175
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	159177

This inline filter on the suck side was broken and sucking air.

Pulled it out, almost immediately have water.

mac 'I'll order a new one' gyvr
Old 04-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V...KIKX0DER&psc=1

What I want?
1/2 npsm

mac 'looks right' gyvr
Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
That's it. Same as the factory installed filter in our rig.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, ordered.

Leaky busted one said 9-00 for manufacturing

mac 'cheapest original part I've replaced' gyvr
Old 04-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
Is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V...KIKX0DER&psc=1

What I want?
1/2 npsm

mac 'looks right' gyvr
Our new 5er had one of those screen filters on the pump. It began losing flow so I checked the screen, it appeared clean but I removed it anyway to look closer. It was clogged with clear plastic grit from cutting holes in the fresh water tank.
Now every RV we own has one on the pump.

Tags
water, winter