Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water Woes

Sometimes after a good rain water has gotten under the slideout topper. The problem with this is when I retract the slideout quite a bit of water comes in with the slideout. The dealer has looked at this once but I don't think they put forth too much effort. I have read other threads where some say this is not unusual because the swipper is not made to take all the water off. Has anyone else with a 2012 Sunova 36V had this problem? Also some say they lower either the front or back jacks so one end is lower than the other. The manual indicates the unit should be level before extending the slideout so I am somewhat apprehensive about doing this.
Zcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This can happen on most any RV with a slideout. Drop the jacks either front or rear to drain the water. On mine, once drained, I retract the jacks all the way, then put the slide in.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I don't have toppers, so the time I had a mess up there... (wet pine needles)

I left the slides out,
then just before leaving I raised the rear stabilizers and lowered the front jacks so I had as much an angle front to back as I could get...
I then took my extending wash broom attached to the water hose and pushed the needles off...

then turned the water off and used the broom to push off any left over water....
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Our previous camper was a 5th wheel with three slides, made the mistake of not ordering toppers. Can't tell you how many times I had to get on the roof and squeegee the slide roofs off.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You could raise the side opposite your slideout and water would drain off.

What I have done......carefully and slowly......is before you bring your slide in.......start engine and go forward a foot or so. Hit brakes. Go back a foot or so. Hit brakes. That will drain water off the slide.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcamping View Post
Sometimes after a good rain water has gotten under the slideout topper. The problem with this is when I retract the slideout quite a bit of water comes in with the slideout. The dealer has looked at this once but I don't think they put forth too much effort. I have read other threads where some say this is not unusual because the swipper is not made to take all the water off. Has anyone else with a 2012 Sunova 36V had this problem? Also some say they lower either the front or back jacks so one end is lower than the other. The manual indicates the unit should be level before extending the slideout so I am somewhat apprehensive about doing this.
Double check your manual, mine says let one side down to allow the water to drain off prior to bringing in the slide so as to not bring the ater into the motor home.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
This can happen on most any RV with a slideout. Drop the jacks either front or rear to drain the water. On mine, once drained, I retract the jacks all the way, then put the slide in.
Ditto -- drop the front or rear and let the slides drain -- the majority of the water will run off with a slight change in the elevation.

Tags
water