Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water tubes vibrating behind shower

When my water pump is on, I hear a vibration behind my shower wall. I am presuming that the plastic water tubes are not well attached and are vibrating with the pump. No vibration is heard when connected to shore water.
I have no idea how to access the area behind the shower walls.
Has anyone had this problem? Better yet, has anyone fixed it?

jim & debbie, 04 winnebago journey 34H + suzuki sx4 toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What if you add a flexible piece of hosing between pump and line onto your plumbing, think that would work. Maybe a tight fit to work but worth a try.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your comment. Is the idea to absorb the shock of the pump before it rattles the water tubing in the walls of the coach?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is it a vibration or a "clunk"? I have a pipe that clunks any time the water is turned on and it's around that same area.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

i had the same problem and i pulled the shower assembly from the wall and slid pipe insulation foam tube down the pipes. you can get them in 3foot lengths from home depot or lowes.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'll preface this with my motorhome is much older than yours but, Winnie was kind enough to install an access panel to access the shower wall and all its components. Access was through the shirt closet in the bedroom (abutted the shower wall). It was well camouflaged by the use of the same wallpaper used throughout the room. What caught my eye was 4 rather small, phillips head screw heads penetrating the closet wall. A closer look revealed that these 4 screws were holding the access panel. Once undone I had full access to the plumbing fixtures and piping.
Now, I'm hoping Winnie continued this access for your model year and coach. Take a good look, you might just get lucky like I did.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your replies. SCVJeff it is a rattle or a fast vibration that is synchronous with the water pump but definitely not a clunk.

Billyb, how can the shower assembly be removed? I can see no obvious screws holding it against the walls??

LT46, thanks but I have no panel (wish I did), but behind the wall in the bedroom is a pocket door. I can shine the flashlight between the pocket door and the wall and see yet another wall on the shower side.

On the floor level, I can see through the heating duct. there is an open space between the shower floor and the chasis floor. At the far end of the shower floor I can see 2 water tubes rising up the back side of the shower wall.

The location of the rattle is behind the corner of the shower about midway up, possibly in the location of the main shower water valve.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated as the rattling is driving my wife crazy.

floor plan is shown below

34H

close or Esc Key

thanks,
jim & debbie, 04 winnebago Journey 34H + suzuki sx4 toad
Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Thanks all for your replies. SCVJeff it is a rattle or a fast vibration that is synchronous with the water pump but definitely not a clunk.

Billyb, how can the shower assembly be removed? I can see no obvious screws holding it against the walls??

LT46, thanks but I have no panel (wish I did), but behind the wall in the bedroom is a pocket door. I can shine the flashlight between the pocket door and the wall and see yet another wall on the shower side.

On the floor level, I can see through the heating duct. there is an open space between the shower floor and the chasis floor. At the far end of the shower floor I can see 2 water tubes rising up the back side of the shower wall.

The location of the rattle is behind the corner of the shower about midway up, possibly in the location of the main shower water valve.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated as the rattling is driving my wife crazy.

floor plan is shown below

34H

close or Esc Key

thanks,
jim & debbie, 04 winnebago Journey 34H + suzuki sx4 toad
can you remove the shower valve cover plate? i can see the plastic tubing going up and down on mine through the cover plate access hole. i had a loose water line fitting that was leaking. it is ok now.
my water pump gets air in it easily when filling the tank when it is low and it gets very noisy.
the only way i can get all the air out is to draw about 3-4 gallons of water from the front tank drain near the water pump with the pump off using water servicing hose pressure. i need at least 1/4 tank of water to bleed the air out.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your idea about checking air in the water pump. I can check that by looking at a clear section of water tubing near the pump to see if there is any air in the line. But when my pump is on, I get plenty of water without air bubbles.
I'm going to remove the cover plate in the shower as you described. If the pump is causing a vibration in the water line behind the shower, I may be able to affect the rattling that I hear coming from that location by moving or pulling on the water lines. If the water lines are accessible, I may be able to use foam insulation aroung the tubes as suggested above.
thanks
jim & debbie, 04 journey + suzuki sz4 toad
Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Hi Dan,
Thanks for your idea about checking air in the water pump. I can check that by looking at a clear section of water tubing near the pump to see if there is any air in the line. But when my pump is on, I get plenty of water without air bubbles.
I'm going to remove the cover plate in the shower as you described. If the pump is causing a vibration in the water line behind the shower, I may be able to affect the rattling that I hear coming from that location by moving or pulling on the water lines. If the water lines are accessible, I may be able to use foam insulation aroung the tubes as suggested above.
thanks
jim & debbie, 04 journey + suzuki sz4 toad
you're welcome,
i never saw air in the water line to the pump or after the pump. after draining a gallon or so of water (without the pump running, with hose fill pressure), i get an air spurt and keep draining until i have drained 3-4 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. i don't get air in the pump unless i let the water tank level get below 1/4 tank which happens frequently. my pump just doesn't bleed well when it is running.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Dan L, thanks again. I know what to look for.

jim & debbie, 04 journey, suzuki sx4 toad
Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Shur-flo sells a pump silencing kit which is a flexible hose which attaches between your pump and coach plumbing. I have the same rattle in my coach, but have not tried the silencing kit yet. Anyone else try it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Pusherman for your input. I have not had much luck trying to get behing the shower where the rattling is occuring. My camping world is out of stock for the silencer kit, but I have some spare plumbing parts and will try to make a silencer. I dont see why there are 2 tubes as my vibration is on the outlet side of the pump. I will try to make one loop on the outlet first and add the other if needed.
Thanks for the suggestion. Going to try it out now.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It works! thanks Pusherman.
It turned out that you really do need both hoses because the mechanical vibration of the pump vibrates both the in and the out water tubes.
Its so quiet now.

thanks to all

jim & debbie, 04 journey, suzuki toad
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you have the standard refrigerator, just remove the pantry, as it will come all the way out, and you'll have access to the back of the shower.

At least I did on my 02 Journey 36DL. Good Luck!
Dgold2
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

thanks for your input
jim & debbie, 04 journey