Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water tank keeps filling, even when value is closed

Hey gang I need some help here. My 2004 Vectra continues to
fill the water tank even when the valve is switched to house. I have
ordered another one of these values. But in the mean time I switched
the water house from the reel to directly into the another intake
opening, (within the water/sewer compartment). this seemed to
slow down the filling process, any other ideas what it could be?

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had the exact problem in my Country Coach. It seems that the check-valve inside the water pump had malfunctioned. I had to replace the 12v water pump to cure the problem. Perhaps you have the same type system. When the outside water supply was attached, it applied pressure against the 12v pump and the valve closed, if the system worked properly. When that valve leaked, it allowed water to bypass the pump and go directly into the fresh water tank. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I believe there are 2 possibilities causing your problem. The pump check valve or the City water fill valve is leaking. This can be checked by disconnecting the input line to the pump and see if water is coming back through the pump while hooked up to city water pressure. If not it is likely a bad city water valve. I had the same problem and went to the factory at Forest City for some other repairs. I asked them to repair it and told them I believed it to be the city water fill valve. They checked it again to be sure and confirmed my diagnosis was correct. Winnebago replaced the valve and all is good again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks to both answers, don't really want to replace the pump,
is it rebuildable?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, you can fix the pump....

You probably have the same pump as my 2004 Chieftain. I was able to fix the back flow leak by taking it apart (about 6 phillips screws) and soaking the valve assembly in vinegar to dissolve the calcium deposits.

Regarding the leaky "city water fill" valve....

I found out that when you turn this valve under really high city water pressure it puts a lot of stress on the rubber inside. You will start tearing the rubber when the city water pressure is like 80-100 lbs, and then you'll get the back flow leak. If you turn off the city water supply valve first, then relieve the pressure by turning on the outdoor shower or any inside faucet then the valve will last a long, long time.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

My city water valve has gone bad several times and I just replace the inside pieces, which can be used from any of the similar type vales. If you have a winterizeing hose with a screw cap on the end, try switching the insides of the 2 valves and see if it fixes the problem.

Unfortunately, I have not found a source for buying just the rubber insert.

On edit, you could switch you winterizing valve, which is on the input side of pump, to see if the tank continues to fill. If it doesn't fill, the pump head would need repair. Unscrewing the hose cap would verify water coming back thru the head.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thanks bill and dan for the info, will be working on it this tuesday
Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

In my case, its the water pump valves. I thought it was the tank fill valve, but I had the diverter valve turned to pump antifreeze through pump while I was gone and forgot to turn it back. When I hooked back up to city water, water started flowing out the diverter hose indicating it was flowing back through the pump.
I've contacted Shurflo and there is a replacement valve that can be used to repair it without replacing the pump. I have the 5.7gpm smart pump which is now over $200 list, so I'm looking to repair it.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Monday and took the fill line off the city water value and it was
leaking water even with the value turn to the water system. I took
off a extra line and capped it off the leaking value. I have ordered
the value thru the local dealer....and I'm still waiting.

Phelpo
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swyates View Post
In my case, its the water pump valves. I thought it was the tank fill valve, but I had the diverter valve turned to pump antifreeze through pump while I was gone and forgot to turn it back. When I hooked back up to city water, water started flowing out the diverter hose indicating it was flowing back through the pump.
I've contacted Shurflo and there is a replacement valve that can be used to repair it without replacing the pump. I have the 5.7gpm smart pump which is now over $200 list, so I'm looking to repair it.
Steve,
The cost of the 5.7 pump valve assy is pretty $$ pricey. And if your pump is 6 yrs old, the diaphram (pump) assy may be close to the end if it's working life, and it's pricey too. Both of these will cost close to the price of a new pump if not more. I got my replacement at Adventure RV.net for a good price ($168 and they may give you a 10% discount if you buy it before New Years Eve).

Happy New Year!!

Bill
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

2012 Winnebago 28T Aspect

I am looking at buying a new 28T Aspect from Winnebageo. My problem is the motor which is a 305 hp 6.8L Super Duty V10 SEFI Triton. I only drive 65 mph so what kind of mpg can you get (central plains USA) and how does the engine do when you have to climb mountains. Thanks in advance for the information. Lee
viking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking100 View Post
I am looking at buying a new 28T Aspect from Winnebageo. My problem is the motor which is a 305 hp 6.8L Super Duty V10 SEFI Triton. I only drive 65 mph so what kind of mpg can you get (central plains USA) and how does the engine do when you have to climb mountains. Thanks in advance for the information. Lee
Hi Viking, and welcome to the forum!

You've made a reply to a water tank issue and what you really want to do is post a new topic.

Copy and paste what you wrote here and then go to the Winnebago Forum here. Then click the "New Thread" button.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Well the hits keep on coming....the new value wasn't leaking when I installed it,
now it is! I'm wondering if it was a new/old value (sitting on the shelf for a
long time). Any ideas???
Old 01-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

so now I just capped off the line to the h2o tank, will deal with it
when iT WARMS UP IN FLORIDA. Then when I turned the water back on
(pressure tested at 48 lbs) the strainer before the pump started to drip,
and the hits keep on coming.....
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

ok, I have revised this post. Finally found out the pump was allowing
water to back fill the tank. Purchased a value from my local
hardware store and wow......no water.....

The way I found out the pump was leaking was to throw the valve
to winterize, and water came out of that hose.....

thanks to all and I hope this helps someone.

Phelpo
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up Water tank continues to fill even though water fill valve is off

I have just figured out this problem and will tell you what to do. First, check the easiest thing and that is your water pump. Drain your water tank and leave the drain valve open and you will see how much water is leaking into your tank by doing that. Water pumps are designed to act as check valves stopping any water from flowing back into your tank. They can fail by leaking and still pump fine. When they fail, a diaphragm in the pump leaks, the pump no longer acts as a check valve and the pump allows water to flow back into your tank. If you see water leaking out your drain valve outlet, then remove the strainer next to the water inlet line to the pump and see if the water is leaking from your pump. If so, there is your problem and replace the pump. This saves you the aggravation of replacing the gate valve and then find that this does not solve your problem, so this should be your first check. If there is no water backing up into your water tank from the pump then the only remaining way that the water will fill your tank is to flow through the worn ball valve that allows you to fill your tank. It is a lot easier to check the water pump to see if it needs to be replaced than to install a new ball valve, find that your problem still exists and then still have to replace the water pump. I hope this is helpful to anyone that has this problem.
Ian2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

QUOTE=Ian2604;1511479]I have just figured out this problem and will tell you what to do. First, check the easiest thing and that is your water pump. Drain your water tank and leave the drain valve open and you will see how much water is leaking into your tank by doing that. Water pumps are designed to act as check valves stopping any water from flowing back into your tank. They can fail by leaking and still pump fine. When they fail, a diaphragm in the pump leaks, the pump no longer acts as a check valve and the pump allows water to flow back into your tank. If you see water leaking out your drain valve outlet, then remove the strainer next to the water inlet line to the pump and see if the water is leaking from your pump. If so, there is your problem and replace the pump. This saves you the aggravation of replacing the gate valve and then find that this does not solve your problem, so this should be your first check. If there is no water backing up into your water tank from the pump then the only remaining way that the water will fill your tank is to flow through the worn ball valve that allows you to fill your tank. It is a lot easier to check the water pump to see if it needs to be replaced than to install a new ball valve, find that your problem still exists and then still have to replace the water pump. I hope this is helpful to anyone that has this problem.[/QUOTE]

IAN2604, very good suggestion to isolate this problem.

However, I wan't to repeat, you don't have to just replace the pump. It's very easy to open the pump to get the valve assembly out and soak in vinegar. If you live or camp in an area with really hard ward water, the calcium will build up at a pretty fast rate while the rubber valve itself is just fine. You can save yourself a lot of money and extend the useful life of the pump.

Happy Trails,
Bill
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with the pump on my 06 Horizon and it was the check valve in the pump assembly. I could not find a replacement part for the check valve so I had to replace the entire pump which fixed the problem of the fresh water tank filling up. Good Luck!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water