Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We arrived last night at Liberty state park and our water tank dumped all by itself. When we hooked up to water, water just continued to run from the tank area. I moved the dump handle back and forth a number of times and nothing stopped the flow of water. We went to bed and this am went underneath the coach to see if anything is wrong and nothing. Again moved the handle and now the leak has stopped.Does anyone know or ever had this probem and what went wrong. TIA.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We arrived last night at Liberty state park and our water tank dumped all by itself. When we hooked up to water, water just continued to run from the tank area. I moved the dump handle back and forth a number of times and nothing stopped the flow of water. We went to bed and this am went underneath the coach to see if anything is wrong and nothing. Again moved the handle and now the leak has stopped.Does anyone know or ever had this probem and what went wrong. TIA.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have had that problem several times. The dealer claimed he fixed once but the fix didn't stay. On mine the push cable is way too long and all it's loops don't allow enough pressure to be placed on the closing valve. At least I think that's what the problem is. I would like to shorten the cable, but haven's been able to get to the attachment location.

You are supposed to be able to remove a panel and see the valve, but looking at mine I can't see where that is done. Any one have a picture of that panel?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Clarification ...are you talking about the fresh water tank "dumping"?? ...and the dumping started when you hooked up the campground water? ...and you left it flowing and went to bed and it stopped on it's own?

I know our coaches are different models, but for comparison sake, my fresh water dumps on the other side of the coach from the water service bay. If I have the selector switch in the water service bay turn to "tank fill" rather than "city water," the fresh water tank will overflow from that same area if it is overfilled. Turning off the water will cause the overflow to stop in a minute or two after the pressure is releived.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

No we were not hooked up when the water dumped, after we hooked up water kept flowing from the fresh water tank untill the park faucet waqs shut off. Funny part is that in the morning all appears back to normal. I would like to contribute the problem to the "great" NJ roads.
My wife said that mre items moved since we hit Nj than in the 10,000 mile cross country trip we took.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I know it seems too obvious, but it sure sounds like AFChap is right, and you have the selector lever set to "tank fill" and not "city water". If so, the tank will just fill right up and then continue to dump on the ground through the overflow, unless you turn off the park faucet. If this is what's happening, and the selector lever is, in fact, set to "city water", then I would suspect that that valve is faulty.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This morning tried to fill the fresh water tank and water runs out as fast as it comes in and not from the dump valve. There is a cover across the bottom and a plate on the side. Will taking the plate off from the side expose the tank or should I drop the bottom plate to see what is leaking.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Still sounds like your fill valve is set to "Tank Fill" and not "City Water" as indicated in the above posts. You haven't mentioned that you have checked that and if the water is not coming from the dump valve, it must be coming from the overfill/vent plumbing. If you are positive you don't have "tank fill" selected, then maybe you have a bad tank fill valve as no water should enter the tank if this valve is operating correctly. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I wish it was the valve, looks as if the tank has a hole or a seam broke. This will not be a easy repair. Will call Winnebago in the am, they should have some answers.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ouch! I'm sorry that it wasn't just an easy-to-solve problem. Good luck with the repair--I hope it hasn't messed up any travel plans too much. Keep us informed as to the outcome.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Today was nice enough that I took the bottom cover off to see what is wrong. Seems that sloppy workmanship by Winnebago caused the hose to come off where the dump valve is connected to the tank. The hose was never pushed on far enough onto the barb fitting and the hose clamp was loose. All is repaired the correct way with new hose and this should not happen again.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Gary, glad to hear you fixed it yourself and it wasn't major!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The problem did cost me a water pump, hope to have the pump by Friday.