Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump replacement

I have a 2004 Itasca 33V and it has a Shurflo 5900-0211 water pump. I do not think that it is working correctly. The water pressure is very low and if you turn on the water at two different faucets the you will just get a small amount of water. I can put my finger on the end of the pump output and stop the flow with just my finger. I am thinking of getting a replacement pump. If anyone has any ideal as to why the pump is so low on pressure please let me know. Other wise does anyone have suggestions at to replacements that will just fit exactly as the Shurflo does.
Thanks
alan
Old 01-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am in the process of changing my water pump. Remco makes good quality pumps and they have 3 different levels for an RV. I have a post below where i am trying to find the location of the fuse or relay, but i think i solved that problem. If you go to a more powerful pump you will need to upgrade your 10 amp fuse.

I am not sure what our problem is i would start with checking the filter screen to see if its blocked.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

What filter screen? Where is it located?
thanks
alan
Old 01-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Is this clear plastic round thing on top of the pump some sort of filter? It is only half full during the time that it is running, is this normal?

thanks
alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_160757.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	172655   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200106_160801.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	172656  

Old 01-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thats the filter screen that is talked about. You need to unscrew the plastic cover to clean the screen. I believe there is a small pressure adjustment on the pump, not sure however you may want to read to manual for that.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a really good time to check that filter as they do collect lots of gunk like hard water minerals.
There will likely be a small screen inside and it can help a lot to soak it in vinegar as a weak acid to help soften any hard water deposits which are often alkaline stuff. Small point to watch is that the thin plastic of the body is reasonably easy to break if it is stuck and you press too hard, even with a hand. Also handle the screen a bit tender, as it is thin and weak also. Watch for any small O-ring/gasket type item to fall out when you remove the filter.
It may do wonders but also know that pressure from the pump will almost always be less than home faucets as it is designed to save water when on tanks. Most of us are used to wasting most of the water we run at the house but they try to slow us down when boon docking!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Could also be a cracked filter if there was water left in it and it froze. That happened to mine a year ago. Got a new on on Amazon.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

When you stop the flow does the pump shut off or continue running? If it shuts off then the pressure switch may need adjusting. If the filter is not clogged or broken you may need to just open up the pump head and clean the chamber and the valves inside.

I just cleaned my filter and pump head on my 2001 35U and its working like new now. The valves on the kitchen and bathroom sink on the other hand have restrictions which those Delta/Peerless faucets are prone too do and hopefully I will just need to take the stems out and clean their inlets as the aerators are clear.

Both the inside and outside showers thankfully are still getting full flow.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
If you go to a more powerful pump you will need to upgrade your 10 amp fuse.
It may be a little late for this discussion but there may be others reading later who get the wrong idea here.
If we find a new pump and it does actually require more than ten amps to run it, DO NOt just replace the 10 amp fuse with a larger!
The size of fuse is set by the size of wire needed to carry the current. It is never safe to increase the fuse size without taking into account the wire size as the increased current does run the risk of overheating a smaller wire.
However, I would very much doubt that these small pumps would draw more than ten amps.
But it does pay to check when dealing with making changes in the equipment.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It may be a little late for this discussion but there may be others reading later who get the wrong idea here.
If we find a new pump and it does actually require more than ten amps to run it, DO NOt just replace the 10 amp fuse with a larger!
The size of fuse is set by the size of wire needed to carry the current. It is never safe to increase the fuse size without taking into account the wire size as the increased current does run the risk of overheating a smaller wire.
However, I would very much doubt that these small pumps would draw more than ten amps.
But it does pay to check when dealing with making changes in the equipment.
In my case the water pump is fused with a 15amp fuse. the wire is 14 gauge wire, the pump at Max flow is rated at 15amp. I would look at the gauge of the wire but if its 14 gauge that is rated for 15amps. My plan is to put a second in line fuse right at the pump but as always its a good idea to know what gauge wire your dealing with.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
In my case the water pump is fused with a 15amp fuse. the wire is 14 gauge wire, the pump at Max flow is rated at 15amp. I would look at the gauge of the wire but if its 14 gauge that is rated for 15amps. My plan is to put a second in line fuse right at the pump but as always its a good idea to know what gauge wire your dealing with.
Just the awareness that you have shown is the first step that we need to make! You've thought about the wire and made an informed decision, so you are good to go from a safety standpoint.
When we tend to hurt ourselves is when we don't stop to think.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, water, water pump