Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pump pulsating can it be stopped ?

I have a 2015 Itasca Sunstar and when using the dc water pump the water pulsates and so does the pump. I'ts not a big deal just a little annoying . Is there a pressure tank (small) or a bladder that can be added ? Thanks , Chuck
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Chuck I've had the same issue. It just needs a little adjustment. Now providing we have the same or similar pumps.....I have a 2014 Ellipse...this is what you can try:

First access your pump, and on the bottom, near dead center of the unit, up inside a concave hole, is a little allen screw. Sorry, don't remember what size, but it's small.

Next, with one faucet (like bathroom) running wide open, go outside to your pump and turn the allen screw mentioned one way or the other slowly until desired effect (smooth running) is achieved. It usually doesn't take too much.

See how that goes, and give us a report back here with results. Hope it works for you.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine does that when its below half full. I keep it above that line
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

RVHERE, here is a link to a manual that explains the pybass and pressure switch adjustments.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/32389.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I added the Surflo accululator tank to mine along with the silencing kit, made a big difference.

It would actually cause the overhead led lights to flicker when it was pulsating, the tank fixed that. Now it either runs full blast or not to fill tank while the water output is smooth.

You might want to try the adjustment first, which I didn't know about until after I installed tank, but the tank was a super easy install.

In the future I might look at a true variable speed pump, the Surflo seems pretty primitive and although much quieter now after tank it's still annoying being mounted under bed in my Vista.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I added the Surflo accululator tank to mine along with the silencing kit, made a big difference.

It would actually cause the overhead led lights to flicker when it was pulsating, the tank fixed that. Now it either runs full blast or not to fill tank while the water output is smooth.

You might want to try the adjustment first, which I didn't know about until after I installed tank, but the tank was a super easy install.

In the future I might look at a true variable speed pump, the Surflo seems pretty primitive and although much quieter now after tank it's still annoying being mounted under bed in my Vista.
We did thee same thing to both our 2001 and 2013 Adventurers. It costs about $45.00 for the accumulator and another $20.00 for the silencing kit. As mentioned the pump is now silent and runs only at full speed when needed.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I will try the accusatory tank but what is the silencer kit. Chuck
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

silencer kit has hoses to put put on both sides of pump to limit the transmission of vibration into the motor home. Is only needed if hard pipe is run directly to the pump.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

There should be rubber grommets on the bottom the pump mount, if they are missing or the screws holding the pump to the floor/wall are over-tightened you hear more noise. This in addition to using hose for water connections to the pump makes a considerable difference.
Pulsating; most times the cause is, the air cushion in the water heater has disappeared. This causes the pump to shut off/on quickly and water pressure reflects this.
To rectify, shut off water supply, open a faucet to remove all pressure, open the over-pressure valve near the top of the heater tank, remove drain plug and allow a gallon to drain, replace drain plug, close over-pressure valve, turn on water supply.
Where did the air cushion go? It becomes absorbed by the water in the tank, thus the procedure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

RVHERE,
try bleeding the air out of the pump and pipes by opening the drain valve and draining about 2 gallons of water with the pump on.
this procedure makes my pump run quietly.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump