Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump or Fresh Water Fill switch

Recently, I have noticed that my fresh water tank fills up if I am hooked up to city water / campground water and the water pressure is pretty good - even if I have the water pump on / off. The fresh water tank has overfilled a couple of times because of this. I now monitor the fresh water tank and if it gets close to full, I shut off the city / campground water and use the onboard fresh water.

I have tried leaving the water pump switch on to use the fresh water from the tank, but it seems that if the city / campground water pressure is sufficient, the water pump does not kick on. Someone at the campground that I am at, said that it might be a check valve not seating closed on the water pump? He also said that the lever to fill the fresh water tank might not be shutting off completely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your response(s).

Rick
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Agree with your neighbor at the campground that the check valve is failing or the City/Fill valve is failing.

When you move the City/Fill handle does it feel different than it used to before this problem started? Do you feel the resistance of the valve when you move the handle?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If the city water connectex and of sufficient pressure, I would not expect the water pump to activate. Seems like a problem with the city/fill valve.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Agree with your neighbor at the campground that the check valve is failing or the City/Fill valve is failing.

When you move the City/Fill handle does it feel different than it used to before this problem started? Do you feel the resistance of the valve when you move the handle?
When I switch the fill lever to fill the tank, there is resistance in both directions. It feels the same. I can also hear the flow of water when I move the switch to fill the fresh water tank. When I switch the lever to normal, I can no longer hear the water flow. Then again, I am not sure I would be able to hear a trickle of water bypassing the fill switch. The fresh water tank fills slowly so only a small amount of water at a time is either going through the pump or the fill switch lever. I was hoping there was a way to determine which one is the culprit without to much problem. I guess not.

Was my neighbor correct in saying that the water pump will, or should not, turn on if the city / campground water pressure is sufficient? He said the water pump is only to provide sufficient pressure if the city / campground water pressure is to low. He owns an Entegra Cornerstone so his pump might be different.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have this issue as well. Be careful not to turn the 1/4 turn too much or too hard. It goes past the stop and water will leak into the tank. I turn the lever and just a hint back and have no problem since.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I have this issue as well. Be careful not to turn the 1/4 turn too much or too hard. It goes past the stop and water will leak into the tank. I turn the lever and just a hint back and have no problem since.
The switch lever that I have moves at least 1 1/2 inches. Picture the normal / off position is at 12 o'clock and the fill position is at 8 o'clock. That is how far mine has to move. I will check it out again tomorrow.

Thanks for your response...

Rick
Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You must use a water pressure regulator at all times.
The fill valve should be never be operated with any pressure on it.
The o rings in the Valve are easily damaged and are not difficult to replace. The Valve itself is a pita to replace.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the exact same problem and am at the Dealer today to get that and several other items taken care of...also when I am not hooked up to city water and am running the pump it "burps" every few minutes...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
I have the exact same problem and am at the Dealer today to get that and several other items taken care of...also when I am not hooked up to city water and am running the pump it "burps" every few minutes...
New water pump and "Fill/Normal" diverter valve...all working fine now!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
If it burps then the system is losing pressure. Assuming no leaks or dripping faucets then I would guess the check valve in the pump has failed. Which would cause the tank to fill when connected to city water.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

You can get a "burp" when the temps change. Also if you have an Ice maker.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, switch, water, water pump