Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Water pump not working

Water pump problem...Had a new pump installed at beginning of the season. Only used it once. Went to use it recently and very low water pressure. Now the pump does not work at all. There is power to the switches but the pump will not run. Anyone know where the fuse might be so I can check that first..and if the fuse is good what else could it be that would cause low pressure then complete failure of the pump.

2015 Itasca Sunstar 35f. Thanks
Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Several things that "might " cause this. One is a poor connection which starts as a high resistance open and then over time corrodes a bit more and stops completely. High resistance can make a pump run slow. It also might be a case of a pump motor going bad slowly. Something like a bearing begins to drag until the pump either burns out or the fuse blows are two I might think of.
Also something to consider, depending on what you may have done is that the impeller on the motor shaft may not be holding tight and that can let the motor itself run (listen/feel the motor) but the impeller not move.
My moves would go like this. First checking the fuse as easy but then I would also want to know that the wiring gets that power to the pump. That's where a meter is handy but while at the pump, check for noise like it is running but not pumping. Be aware a switch may go bad! Depending on how easy/difficult to remove the pump, I might next go for removing it and looking to see that it is not frozen/stuck etc. It "might" be as simple as something in the fresh water tank has broken loose and collects in the pump filter or motor to block flow.
Weird things can happen to confuse us. Things like scale in the tank breaks loose, just to mess with our minds when we have a new pump!!! Or a new pump can go bad, just to drive us silly?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Thanks Morich...I will take a look at the pump when I can (it is currently in body shop getting some work done). I want to check that it is getting power first then go from there.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

While you're at it, unscrew every faucet tip and clean the filter screen. Trash in the water can collect on all screens and reduce water pressure progressively.

If a new pump was installed, that could have caused trash to loosen up and get into the lines.

It wouldn't cause the pump to die, but might cause that low pressure you mentioned.

P.S. cleaning the screens, including the shower head, is an annual project.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Also check the bypass valve in the water/shower/etc bay. I've left it in the wrong position and the pump runs.. but, no/low pressure.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

we ran low on water and found pressure dropped so we hocked up to a city water source and had good press and tried to use pump and it primed it self works fine now
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had this happen on two different RVs. The first time cost $300 at a repair facility. He mumbled something about a filter. Second time i did my line checks and found the clear plastic filter just next to the pump was cracked. It allowed air in to the system causing the pump to loose suction and thus no water. Although i replaced the pump and the filter afterwards i put the old pump back on just to see, and sure enough it worked too. The filter cost $15.
shutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
While you're at it, unscrew every faucet tip and clean the filter screen. Trash in the water can collect on all screens and reduce water pressure progressively.

If a new pump was installed, that could have caused trash to loosen up and get into the lines.

It wouldn't cause the pump to die, but might cause that low pressure you mentioned.

P.S. cleaning the screens, including the shower head, is an annual project.
A great reason to always have a water filter on your fresh water park supply!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
Itasca Sunstar Owner

Update on water pump failure:

Replaced the water pump last week with a new one and all is good now. The one I took out had a broken electrical connection. The connector blade had broken off inside the pump housing so was getting no power. If I can find a replacement part then I will at least have a spare pump.

Tags
water, water pump