Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Water Pump Noise

I have noticed in my 2016 Sunova that the water pump is the noisiest of any motorhome I have owned. Has anyone found something to quite that down? I get up in the night to use the restroom and don't want wake my wife.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I feel your pain!! In all my endeavors to solve this problem I have only found two things that HELP. Help not solve. Re-plumb the inlet and outlet hoses to the pump with enough hose to make a large loop in them. This will reduce the vibration from the pump being transferred to the pex plumbing running to the fixtures in the coach. Reduce not solve. Then if you have the room install a two gallon expansion tank on the output of the pump. It simply tees in to the outlet line. This tank will come pre-charged to about 25 lbs. pressure. This needs to be reduced to a couple lbs below the start pressure for the pump. I did this by slowly letting off the pressure until the pump started after letting it pressure up after install. Now we can run enough water to flush and do a quick rinse of hands without the pump starting. When the pump DOES start it runs a bit to refill the tank but no more cycling when running a slow stream.

This is NOT a fix for the noise but does make it livable.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Rubber isolation pads under the feet also help, and not screwing it down so tight.....
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem in an older class C quite a few years ago. My solution was kind of unique. I created enough "slop" in all the lines leading to and from the pump. Then, I headed down to a local place that sells foam and upholstery fabric etc. There I scrounged around in their rements of foam and picked out some blocks of foam about 12" x 12" x 6" thick. I got two of them for nothing.
I then sort of, carved out an imprint of each side of the pump, on each piece of foam. Then, using some tape, I encapsulated the pump in between the two large pieces of foam and taped the two pieces together, with the pump completely isolated from any mounting.
Talk about QUIET!
The only problem with doing it that way is, it was so quiet that, if anything should go wrong, i.e. broken water line, leaked developed, someone not turning a faucet off completely, almost could not be detected in the water pump cycling.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Snip---

Talk about QUIET!
The only problem with doing it that way is, it was so quiet that, if anything should go wrong, i.e. broken water line, leaked developed, someone not turning a faucet off completely, almost could not be detected in the water pump cycling.
Scott
Hah! And this is exactly why I only did the loosening of the mounting bolts on mine to get it a bit quieter. The noise is a clever, if accidental, 'tell-tale' for us full timers. Being able to hear the pump running tells us if the tank is getting low on water as a louder pump usually means it's getting time to add water to the tank, and it's excellent at telling us if there's a leak and how big it is. Use water, the pump runs and stops. Then in the quiet, listen for the next time the pump runs. I should take hours. If it's only a minute or two, you have a leak that needs to be tracked down. (And it could simply be the shower head wasn't turned off--still, that water ends up in the grey tank).

And if it is running periodically when it's not suppose to, that reminds you that you need to turn off the pump before retiring.

Buy earplugs if the sound is a problem for anyone.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Jerry. I am glad you brought that up. Kathey complains about the noise too. But I think I will have to wait on cooler weather. I was thinking rubber mounts and a foam cushion. Ours is mounted to a side wall...B T W we will be in Tucson in December . Jerry. Sk2
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Scott
Yep.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
TAN
Winnebago Owner

It depend on how we are parked some times its loud enough to wake the dead and other times it is real quiet. Now if I could only figure out what way to park to make it quiet.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
It depend on how we are parked some times its loud enough to wake the dead and other times it is real quiet. Now if I could only figure out what way to park to make it quiet.
I've found the only way to quiet it (and mine isn't all that loud), is to keep plenty of water in the tank. As the water level drops, it gets louder.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The easiest way to silence the pump is to install an accumulator and a silencer kit. The accumulator allows the pump to run less often and at full speed when it does run. The silencer kit is nothing more than 2 short lengths of flexible tubing that will absorb the pulsations generated by the pump. We installed both and our pump is now silent.
Accumulator:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-accumulator-tank/2290
Silencer kit:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-pump-silencer-kit/29361
Winnebago used to install flexible PVC tubing throughout the coach. Because of its flexibility it deadened the sound of the pump. They now install PEX which lasts longer and has fewer leaks, but it’s also much more rigid and as such transmits sound better.

Tags
noise, water, water pump