Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Water Pump fuse or circuit breaker location

I am looking for the location of our 2004 Journey 36G water pump fuse or circuit breaker. I went looking for it yesterday and found nothing marked Water Pump. I read the schematics for our 2004 Journey 36G and it appears that the circuit breaker panel located under our refrigerator, top row second CB from the left, marked "Lights" is the one?

But those CB are just push to reset so it is not possible to test it to see if power drops off.

I searched the forum for the fuse location but was not able to find a post. I can call Winnebago tomorrow but it seems strange that the fuse/CB location is not clearly marked. But then again I have sometimes had trouble seeing the forest for the trees! Thanks, SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It might be in line just ahead of the pump. Trace back the red wire back from the pump.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The fuse on my Horizon is on the hot lead upstream from the pump in a black case with a little lid on it. It sounds dumb but my brain is not working well today.
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the replies. I'll go out to the MH tomorrow and take another look. I called my self looking once but did not see it. The location there makes sense. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

While trying to find the water pump circuit breaker or fuse on our Journey 2004 36G I got a good lesson on how to read the Winnebago wiring diagrams.

I checked the hot lead at the pump and there is no fuse at that location.

I checked the wiring diagrams (Body 12v Wiring 04-p36g-wire-146053.pdf) and found the water pump on page 7, panel 30, wire JA (yellow) that traced back to the water pump switch on page 7, panel 38.

I traced the JA wire back both directions. First to the left which took me to page 4, panel 2-3 which illustrates the 12VDC circuit breakers. I traced it to what I thought was the top row, second from the left, which was labeled “Lights”. Winnebago corrected this for me by reminding me that on this drawing I was looking at the back of the panel connections and that from the front the circuit breaker is top row second from the right labeled “Monitor / Etc”. This “Monitor” is the one place monitor connections.

While tracing out wire JA it also serves the water heater switch (applies 12VDC power to the hot water heater LP controller); and another connection panel.

Winnebago also pointed out that by using the “electrical guide” the equipment that wire JA is connected to is identified. On page 05 of the electrical guide it reads: JA, 14 Yel, Over current protection (15A fuse/breaker typical); Water Pump, Monitor panel, etc )”clean circuit”, ref JP). I have now added this guide to my onboard electrical schematics.

I think it’s odd that “water pump” is not also labeled under the circuit breaker for easy reference considering the importance of the equipment. These 12VDC circuit breakers are only push to reset so they can not be used to turn off power. But if the water pump were to fail causing a short then the circuit breaker would pop out so it would be obvious that the circuit breaker had done its job. Since there is enough room beneath the existing label I will add a small “Water Pump” label.

Below are two photos showing location. Second photo out of focus but OK for illustration.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the work tracing this fuse Steve. I'll definitely label it on my 2004 Meridian 36G. Like you said, why couldn't Winnebago have simply labeled what each of these fuses control. Would save them and the customer lots of headaches.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks

Thanks Steve ...

I marked mine
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks for all the work tracing this fuse Steve. I'll definitely label it on my 2004 Meridian 36G. Like you said, why couldn't Winnebago have simply labeled what each of these fuses control. Would save them and the customer lots of headaches.

Wagonmaster2
I wish my Forest River Windsong was that easy. The power switch lights up and still no pwr. This is a new pump and switch. I used the same leads as the old pump. Just recently there is no pwr coming out of the leads............any ideas?
Ace_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ace Clark, about the only thing I can do is try to give you some trouble shooting ideas. Schematics would be helpful and I am assuming you do not have them. And maybe someone who has your rig will see this and assist.

From your post it appears you do not have power to the pump. If you installed the new pump and switch without removing battery power by either disconnecting the battery at the battery posts or removing the fuse or circuit breaker you may have shorted out the fuse or tripped the circuit breaker that protects this circuit.

If it were me I would first make sure that the wiring to the switch and pump is connected correctly to the switch and pump. I say this because when you find the blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker and insert a new fuse or reset the breaker you will risk again opening the circuit if the wiring is not connected correctly. If this is unclear I would disconnect the pump and switch wiring and only re-wire after you find the circuit protection device.

Second, you will have to find the fuse or circuit breaker protecting the pump. Tracing the wiring back is one way but usually pretty difficult as the wiring snakes through large wire bundles.

Assuming that there is no open wire, another method is to find all the fuses and circuit breakers in the RV and check each one. On our unit the 12 volt automotive fuses are located in one place and the 12 volt house fuses are located in the galley area. It would be logical that the water pump would be a house fuse. If you find an open fuse or a tripped circuit breaker that will probably be your problem. Replaced the fuse or reset the breaker and check the pump connections to see if power is now available.

If the above fuse search and check does not solve it then you either have not yet found the fuse or circuit breaker, you have a bad ground or you have an open wire. At this point I can not think of anything else you can do but trace the wires back to their source. You can do that visually or if you know someone who has a wire tone tester that should make it easier. I have never used a wire tone tester so can not give you any advice.

Make sure your pump wiring is protected by a fuse or circuit breaker and make sure your pump/switch is electrically installed correctly. Pumps draw anywhere from 5 to 15 amps and if not connected correctly can be dangerous. Good luck!

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-