Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2002 Journey DL, 36' used hooked to city water for three months. Upon departure, I filled the freshwater tank, then drained tank to put in fresh water. After draining completely, I refilled, but cannot get any water to flow through system. Also tank will not drain. Has anyone had a similar problem? Will appreciate any help/suggestions.

Took water line loose from pump, water would not flow to pump. Tried to suck water through, but no water will flow into the pump.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2002 Journey DL, 36' used hooked to city water for three months. Upon departure, I filled the freshwater tank, then drained tank to put in fresh water. After draining completely, I refilled, but cannot get any water to flow through system. Also tank will not drain. Has anyone had a similar problem? Will appreciate any help/suggestions.

Took water line loose from pump, water would not flow to pump. Tried to suck water through, but no water will flow into the pump.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked all the shut off valves in the fresh water tank compartment. Mine has 5-6 in there for isolating parts of the system.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Omurray,

We have the same Journey so I had a couple other questions for you.

When you say that you drained and then refilled the freshwater tank, can you clarify which method you used to fill the tank. In other words, did you use the gravity fill, or the city water hookup connection to fill the tank.

If the tank is indeed full, it should drain when you pull the drain valve handle located in the sanitation compartment. That handle is connected to the 1" ball valve located on the drain line on the tank. The water does not have to go through any lines or fittings to drain.

I know it's a long shot, but I was curious if you filled through the city connection and the tank just was not taking water. Is the tank "really" full. Seems very strange that it won't drain. The indicator lights are not always accurate but by filling through the gravity fill port, you would know you are getting water in the tank.

Let us know what you find as you look into it further.

Joe
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks for your interest. We set up for three months in Fla. used the City water while there. When we got ready to come home, I switched to fill and filled until the tank overflowed. Had too much water in the tank, I opened the drain valve and drained the water out to clean out the tank. Filled again, until overflowing. Tried to drain, no water came out of the drain. I have not changed any valves and cannot get any water through the system. Kitchen and bath taps has no water flowing through them. The pump is running continiously. I took the supply line off the pump and no water flows through it. Also tried to suck water through the supply line and no water comes through.

Is there any possibility algae is growing in the tank? It is very strange. This is my second class A and fourth RV.
thanks,
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This may sound dumb but are you sure there is water in the tank?Ihave never heard o algae doing that. I would try refillng the tank.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Interesting problem. I am also wondering if there really is any water in the tank. If the cable to the drain valve came off, I would think that you could feel the lack of friction when you pull it open, but if yours worked pretty easily to begin with (mine is very stiff), then you might not be able to tell.

OK, if there really IS water in the tank, did you switch the fill-selector valve back from "tank fill" ? If there is water in the tank, you should be able to disconnect the inlet to the water pump, and have water gravity flowing out that line. Don't know what else to suggest at this point. Good luck though.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have never heard of algae doing that, but you seem sure it's full of water so maybe something is clogging it up.

Have you tried using your campground supply hose to force water into the drain or water pump supply line? If it is clogged maybe that would open it enough that you could get a look at what comes out.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Capt Bill's point on the city fill and tank fill is very important. If you do not take the valve back from tank fill to "City", your system will not work. The pump will not shut off and it will continuously recirculate the water in the tank.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like from your procedure that you've got water in the tank which I at first wondered about.

I think CaptBill might be on to the problem. It's possible your valve in the water compartment isn't positioned right. I know if I turn my water fill valve to city fill and have turn the pump on, water just recirculates around the pump.

The only confusing thing is that the tank won't drain. My fresh water tank drain is also fairly stiff since it's controlled by the remote cable, but it certainly gushes out when the handle is pulled. I suppose the cable could have come off the valve when it was last closed.

If you do have to repair the valve, it is accessable by looking down fresh water tank area after removing the metal shield in your lower storage compartments. The shield covers the gravity fill hose where it goes down into the tank area.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You said you filled the tank until overflow. Is it possible that water got into the vent lines, and you now have a hydraulic lock?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic lock seems plausable. It just puzzles me why I cannot get water from the tank in any way. Checked drain valve, it is working. checked tank drain, it appears to be working and in correct position. I opened the door for hose filling and confirmed there is a full tank of water.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Sorry but I missed one point. Can you get water flow to the Galley Sink & Bathroom sink/shower using shore water? Or is the entire water system inop?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #14

.....maybe a dead mouse?....geofkaye
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Make sure the city water fill for your tank/City is in the right position. After filling the tank I didn't return it to the city water position and the pump kept running no flow to any faucets. Also try draining the water from the system using the water drain near the Hot water heater Open all the valves and open the drain this should cause some of the water to exit. Start the pump and see if it builds pressure. Also check the filter screen in the pump, Who knows there might be sand or a build up in there, especially if you had the FL hardwater in the system, Too much Lime!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Switch to city water and everything works very well. I did check the water screen filter very clean. No valves touched or changed.

Did notice that during the three months I was parked, the freshwater tank lost one third tank of water even though I was on city water.