Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water leaks

Water Leaks in 03 Winnebago Journey DL
Have had some issues with water leaks-contacted Winnebago in the past-was told 'Roof is guaranteed for 10 years' -Sealant isn't !
after many hours of chasing- there was a few on the sides & rear from sealant shrinkage as well as poor workmanship.
Right front cap securing bolt when installed missed the metal frame- the sealant on that side pulled away causing a leak when torrential or windy.
Hardest one to find was front cap draining onto Dash and inside front on top of Generator !
This also caused the A/C to quit working due to corrosion of the A/C temp switch.
This was the 'Marker' Lights where they mount the fibreglass was 'dry' no epoxy or gelcoat-looked like a glass air filter After sealing the marker lights-Dash has been dry-still have to reseal r/side cap and secure to frame.
wrayelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds normal, ESPECIALLY if you have not had the roof side sealant checked/repaired annually as required for the 10 yr roof warranty. I check mine about twice a year, often repairing the cap to corner areas myself, and have a dealership check/repair the roof side sealant once a year. Sometimes it takes just a little repair, and sometimes total removal/replacement. I also check my front clearance lamps every six months, and repair/reseal as needed.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Sounds normal, ESPECIALLY if you have not had the roof side sealant checked/repaired annually as required for the 10 yr roof warranty. I check mine about twice a year, often repairing the cap to corner areas myself, and have a dealership check/repair the roof side sealant once a year. Sometimes it takes just a little repair, and sometimes total removal/replacement. I also check my front clearance lamps every six months, and repair/reseal as needed.
This reminds me of what the auto industry was like in the 50/60's-tune every
6000 miles, clutch every 12000, valve grinds between 6000 to ?.
This is now in the modern world where offshore quality is raising the standard
in all aspects of consumer goods. To have to spend the money they charge
for this inferior product and to accept this. No wonder North America
Canada and USA is taking back seat to the rest of the world in manufacturing.
Wait till offshore starts to build a RV-then the standard will improve !
If Winnebago built a air plane-would you fly in it??
There is other issues in coachwork,electrical,plumbing etc which I take as a challenge to improve.
I like the design but am used to buying a vehicle and able to drive for a few years trouble free miles
or kilometres here in Canada eh !
wrayelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Angry Quality

I purchased a 2011 Vista 35F last October and have been fixing problems on it ever since. This is my 6th Class A M/H and the 4th Winnebago and I have to say that this is the worst build quality that I have ever seen. Just plain old poor quality control and workmanship. Leaking luggage compartments, loose and/or stripped screws, loose plumbing connections, loose water lines flopping around between the walls, A/C units that won't keep the coach cool when the outside temp is above 80 degrees, missing moulding, an entry door that was so out of alignment that I had to lean on it to get it closed and latched and a front end that shook enough that it was uncomfortable to drive for extended periods of time. I know the Vista is an entry level coach but we love the floor plan and decided to get it anyway. We have every option that is avaliable so it wasn't a cheap, in cost, purchase. The dealer fixed some things but it cost me multiple trips to his shop and lost weeks of use this summer. I fixed the rest. The A/C units still aren't working to my satisfaction and Winnebago blames it on the new type of refrigerant being used. I believe they are just passing the buck.

Would I buy another Winnebago of any kind? Hell no!! Not a chance!!
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Know what you are going through. I had the same thing happen with a 2000 Brave. Winnebago just laughs at you! I got everything working, traded it for a 2002 which has been perfect! The 2000 stayed local and the new owner never had any problems so I guess I must have gotten things finally fixed.
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Useful comments, especially for those contemplating a purchase. On the issue of roof sealants I would recomend investigation of Eternabond tape. There are pros and cons with this product but once properly installed it does cut down considerably on roof maintenance.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Winnebago just laughs at you!
Certainly was not true for me. When I called on Winnebago for help either by phone or by email, they were always helpful. And they covered all or part of many repairs, some even beyond warranty when I had the problem history documented.