Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water leak - mushroom growing inside

Ok. I have a 2003 Winnebago journey 36 dl. Layout is such that my refrigerator is on passengers side of rig. Next to fridge is the dinette. I recently discovered a mushroom growing on side of dinette right near fridge. I also noticed that some water is getting into compartment bay under this area. Water only appears to be in front 6 inches of bay near door. Also I noticed that when I began driving some water came out from under fridge. On a trip now so have not had chance to fully investigate. I suspect water is either getting in side or roof fridge vent. Anyone ever have such an issue? For those familiar with my rig and its layout, any other suggestions how the water can be getting in? My course of action is going to be to thoroughly dry the bay and area completely and then search for what it could possibly be.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If your freezer has an ice maker, I would start looking there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Or the water drain for the defrost water has come loose or not going into the evaporation pan.

Remove the bottom vent on the outside and have a look before you go to too much trouble trying to dry things out when there is a leak in progress. Takes 5 minutes to start checking and might save you having to replace the floor or the dinette

However, if you fancy fresh mushrooms for breakfast, just turn up the thermostat a couple of degrees and enjoy.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

Tony has a good answer. Shortly after having the recall done on our Norcold I noticed water drops on the side of the coach beside the refer acess panel Took the panel off and the drip tube was out of the evaportation tray. Apparently the tech failed to put it the end of it back in the tray when he completed the recall and the defrost wate was just dripping into the compartment. Caught it before any damage, thank goodness
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had water coming in around our fridge. The leak was present only during heavy rain, so we knew it wasn't due to fridge operation. Went up on roof, took off the vent cover and looked down the vent screen. Sure enough, water was coming in there, water staining and rust. I took all 40 screws out and removed the screen cover. I scraped off all original sealant and replaced with new putty tape. Put screened cover back on, caulked around perimeter and caulked over all screws, replaced roof vent cover. We have had no more problems. I think the screws had worked themselves loose over time and water was entering there.
Safe Travels
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
If your freezer has an ice maker, I would start looking there.
I agree.
Richard
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loozycat View Post
We had water coming in around our fridge. The leak was present only during heavy rain, so we knew it wasn't due to fridge operation. Went up on roof, took off the vent cover and looked down the vent screen. Sure enough, water was coming in there, water staining and rust. I took all 40 screws out and removed the screen cover. I scraped off all original sealant and replaced with new putty tape. Put screened cover back on, caulked around perimeter and caulked over all screws, replaced roof vent cover. We have had no more problems. I think the screws had worked themselves loose over time and water was entering there.
Safe Travels
After looking at the ice maker and the evaporation tray, I think the water may either be coming in from a poor seal around the side refrigerator cover or possibly the roof vent. I am going to reseal the side vent and replace the top vent cover.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote