Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Any ideas why? Haven't touched the hot water heater but the water out of the tap is hot, as if the heater was on. I am on direct water in a RV park in Florida and the water out of the exterior water is cool.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Any ideas why? Haven't touched the hot water heater but the water out of the tap is hot, as if the heater was on. I am on direct water in a RV park in Florida and the water out of the exterior water is cool.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

did you drive and just pull in?

How long will the water stay hot?

Do you hear the propane pop to ignite the hot water tank at all?
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Been here since 2PM and it's 9PM now. Noticed it around 6PM. Doesn't appear anything going on with LP. If this persists I will shut down the LP tank and go from there. Thanks Peter.
Mike
Old 08-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Been here since 2PM and it's 9PM now. Noticed it around 6PM. Doesn't appear anything going on with LP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is normal for this to happend. When you are driving the water in your hot water tank is being heated by the engine coolant. It will easely stay warm as long as you mentioned specially with the temperatures in Florida
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I agree with the coolant heater comment. Also, are you hooked to a shore line and if so is the electrical heater in the heater on. That will also keep the water hot.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Harry B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Been here since 2PM and it's 9PM now. Noticed it around 6PM. Doesn't appear anything going on with LP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is normal for this to happend. When you are driving the water in your hot water tank is being heated by the engine coolant. It will easely stay warm as long as you mentioned specially with the temperatures in Florida </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this also apply to the more basic Sightseer series?

We've sure thought that the hot water comng out of the tap, after driving the MH, was way too hot to be 'room temperature' since the water heater was not turned on.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

It's called MotorAid, and as was mentioned the tank is heated by the engine coolant when underway. I've had the water in the hot water heater stay hot for more than 24 hours.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well now we know the MotorAid works on the hot water tank. All is well this morning, even still a little warm. Thanks for all the feedback. Mike
Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

rich34A our 04 33L sightseer has motoraid got to love having HOT water underway.

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

hey rich our 34a has motoraid,

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Our 33T too has motoraid. It's wonderful to have hot water along the way as well as immediately when you get to the CG.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

To quick comments...

First off, check and make "sure" the power to the electric side of the water heater is OFF. My switch was installed upside down, AND Mis-Mislabeled.

Secondly, the poster who posted that your block heater might be on is also correct. My Engine heater switch is on the bedroom wall, which is easily bumped while making the bed or manuvering around the bed...

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #14

teeman, rvdawg, mis3s and others;

Never knew I had 'motoraid' and would have never guessed what it is based on the name. My wife did notice once that the water seemed unusally warm, hot even, after a driving some distance but I never knew why. I looked around www.winnebagoind.com and some Winnebago .pdf files I have and couldn't find anything on what motoraid is or does...

I also didn't know that the water heater was 110v; other than plugging into 110v power or using the generator, am I supposed to turn something 'on' or 'off' to use the 110v power source? The only switch I have noticed is to fire up the water heater using LP. Any steps I should do to use one or the other?

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

According the the 2005 Sightseer brochure, MotorAid is optional, but it doesn't appear that either the standard or optional heater have electric heating elements. In my Vectra the water heater does have a 110v heater element, in addition to the gas and MotorAid. It can be run on gas, 110v AC, or both.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Richard, what we do is at the CG, about 1 hour before we need the hot water for bath or washing the dishes, we turn on the electric water heater. For most cases, the electric water heater will do the job. Save propane for other uses. For faster recovery (heating the water) or when outside temp is colder , we use the propane water heater instead. Both systems are off when we do not need hot water (while asleep at night, or in-between meals).

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Rich 34

Our 34A doesn't have electric, just gas and motoraid, I was surprised that it didn't come with electric, but the gas works great, fast recovery..

05 Sightseer 34A
rvdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

My motoraid also has a heater fan so that I can warm the coach with two fan speeds when it is cold outside with out running the furnace. I love the Motoraid system. If I run the heater the hot water isn't as hot when I park as it is when I don't run the heater. But we're warmer on the journey.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Your Gas Water Heater is controlled on the Control Panel on the wall but the Electric Hot Water Heater is run off a seperate switch. On our Rig that Switch is in the Small Closet above the Washer Dryer which is in the Bath Room. Above the Hot Water Heater Control Switch is the Engine Heater Switch.
Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

rich 34 our hot water heater is like rvdawg no electric element just a switch to light the propane.I do have a switch on the dash for my motoraid system heat for the heater and vents under my bed in the back of the MH. It help heat the MH when going down the road.

Retired 22 years
teeman is offline   Reply With Quote