Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Went to drain/flush my hot water heater tonight. As soon as I started to remove the plug, it snapped off. Luckily, the plug is hollow so it wasn't too hard to extract the piece that was left in the heater.

Went to the local Home Depot (no RV suppliers in the area) and found a 1/2" PVC plug that fits. The one that broke off was nylon. Bought the PVC plug to get by till I can locate a nylon one. It fits and seals fine.

Question for all you plumbers and chemists - can I just leave the PVC plug in there? I installed it with 3 wraps of teflon tape. Will the heat weld it into the opening? Must be a reason the original was nylon. Any advise appreciated...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Went to drain/flush my hot water heater tonight. As soon as I started to remove the plug, it snapped off. Luckily, the plug is hollow so it wasn't too hard to extract the piece that was left in the heater.

Went to the local Home Depot (no RV suppliers in the area) and found a 1/2" PVC plug that fits. The one that broke off was nylon. Bought the PVC plug to get by till I can locate a nylon one. It fits and seals fine.

Question for all you plumbers and chemists - can I just leave the PVC plug in there? I installed it with 3 wraps of teflon tape. Will the heat weld it into the opening? Must be a reason the original was nylon. Any advise appreciated...
Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tom ...

I did exactly the same thing about 6 months ago ...

I found an "extractor" in the automatic lawn sprinkler piping section to extract the broken plug ... it worked beautifully ... and I bought a PVC plug ... used teflon tape and installed the PVC plug ... it worked fine for a week or so until my next trip past an RV parts store ... I bought two nylon plugs ... installed one ... have the other for a spare for next time ....

There have been several discussion about PVC, nylon, and brass plugs ... some folks install a brass "plug" with drain ... that cures the nylon plug disintegration problem ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

SkiGramp - Thanks for the reply. Guess I should have done a search before I asked. Just read your earlier thread and it answered all my questions.

I've read every discussion on here for the last 4 years and can usually remember them, but that one escaped me (CRS strikes again!!)
Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #5

Throw away your drain plug and buy one of THESE.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The first time I drained my tank I called Attwood and they suggested that I continue to use the nylon plug. Their concern is that if the metal plug is over tigntened or cross threaded the tank will be at risk. Also there is some concern with dissimiliar metal corrosion. I clen my tank once a year and just make sure I have a supply of the nylon plugs.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

SteveG, Hmmm, very interesting. I have been using a brass plug since my RV was new, and in my old RV since new. Dissimiliar metels, well maybe, but take a look at your TPR (Temperature, pressure, Relief) valve and tell me what kind of metel that is. Don't bother, I know it's brass Not trying to be a wise guy, just find it interesting that people still worry about it.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

FD CHIEF: I am with you. I have used brass in the last 3 coaches I owned and have not had a problem with them at all. I used your rationale of the safety valve is brass or bronze.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I also have used the brass plug with Teflon tape and never had a problem.

I think that the reason for the plastic plug is purely economics...it is cheaper. The water heater is protected by a P-T valve and it is brass.

Ken